Are these the 7 RF lenses Canon will be announcing in 2020? [CR1]

The real question is whether to go all-in on f/1.2 primes or to get into this f/2 zoon life. I'm really torn, but I do think the wider aperture f/1.2 primes are where I'm leaning. I have f/1.8 primes now and I sometimes feel like a little more light would make a nice difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm thinking f/1.2 primes, but I'm waiting for a 20mm or 24mm.
Yeah, probably same. I would want to go for 24, 35, 50, 85, and then cap off with a 135 f/1.4 if they end up releasing that one per the patent spec posted not too long ago on CR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
The real question is whether to go all-in on f/1.2 primes or to get into this f/2 zoon life. I'm really torn, but I do think the wider aperture f/1.2 primes are where I'm leaning. I have f/1.8 primes now and I sometimes feel like a little more light would make a nice difference.

For me, it’s not f1.2 so much as better IQ at f2 and wider. The EF 50 and 85mm lenses just aren’t that great* once you go wider than 2.8...which lessens the incentive to shoot ultra-wide (unless the lack of light requires it, of course).

*on high-res cameras, that is

Upvote 0
For me, it’s not f1.2 so much as better IQ at f2 and wider. The EF 50 and 85mm lenses just aren’t that great once you go wider than 2.8...which lessens the incentive to shoot ultra-wide (unless the lack of light requires it, of course).
Seems like the new 50/85 are supremely sharp corner to corner wide open without the chromatic aberrations that were problematic in the EF 1.2s, but if you've seen differently then definitely share your experience. I don't want to spend $6-10k on lenses that are not as close to absolutely perfect as possible while still having autofocus.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Seems like the new 50/85 are supremely sharp corner to corner wide open without the chromatic aberrations that were problematic in the EF 1.2s, but if you've seen differently then definitely share your experience. I don't want to spend $6-10k on lenses that are not as close to absolutely perfect as possible while still having autofocus.

No experience to speak of...as the only RF lens currently in my possession is the 35mm 1.8 “Macro” - all my other lenses are EF. However, online tests do indicate tangible improvement. I’d love to see their true potential on a non-filtered, high-res R-mount camera.

On that note, got a chuckle out of your title. Requires funding indeed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, of course f/1.2 are going to be much brighter - and allow faster shutter speeds/lower ISO, BUT...you'll have to shoot at more open then f/2 to get that advantage - and while that suits certain shots or approaches, you might want to consider how often do you really want to shoot with that narrow a DoF in real life (as opposed to when trying it out)?

I have most EF f/1.2 primes, or nearest to depending on focal length, but in reality most of my shots are at f/2 and above, due to DoF needs - even most portraits.

Just something to consider... :D

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No experience to speak of...as the only RF lens currently in my possession is the 35mm 1.8 “Macro” - all my other lenses are EF. However, online tests do indicate tangible improvement. I’d love to see their true potential on a non-filtered, high-res R-mount camera.

On that note, got a chuckle out of your title. Requires funding indeed.
:D I have two good kidneys, and I'd like to keep them, but at this rate I may have to start mapping out my priorities!!

Upvote 0
Well, of course f/1.2 are going to be much brighter - and allow faster shutter speeds/lower ISO, BUT...you'll have to shoot at more open then f/2 to get that advantage - and while that suits certain shots or approaches, you might want to consider how often do you really want to shoot with that narrow a DoF in real life (as opposed to when trying it out)?

I have most EF f/1.2 primes, or nearest to depending on focal length, but in reality most of my shots are at f/2 and above, due to DoF needs - even most portraits.

Just something to consider... :D
Hmmmmmmm......I agree with this. Maybe going all in at f/1.2 isn't the right approach. Ok so hypothetical: You're being held at gunpoint by an aperture fiend and you're told that you only get to keep one of your f/1.2 lenses because this is a really considerate thief, all things considered. You try to lighten the mood by making a joke about being into shooting yourself, but the thief isn't having it. Which focal length would you want to have that wide aperture for? 50mm? 85mm? 600mm?

Upvote 0
Hmmmmmmm......I agree with this. Maybe going all in at f/1.2 isn't the right approach. Ok so hypothetical: You're being held at gunpoint by an aperture fiend and you're told that you only get to keep one of your f/1.2 lenses because this is a really considerate thief, all things considered. You try to lighten the mood by making a joke about being into shooting yourself, but the thief isn't having it. Which focal length would you want to have that wide aperture for? 50mm? 85mm? 600mm?
Ooh, good question - not so good an answer (from me) I suspect, but I'll give it a go:

Purely personally, I really like my 50/1.2 - just always have, despite the hard stick it gets from a large number of posters. I know it is not the "perfect" lens, but I love the results, and have always simply liked using it.

However, I'm also very partial to my 135/2, and from a professional point of view, I couldn't be without the 500/4 for some of what I do (and like to do).

So, not really conclusive. Guess I'll just have to hope I'm never held at gunpoint ! :giggle:

Upvote 0
How come that the exposure time and the sensor readout speed play no role in your estimation?
It's totally the opposite, I said the time passed since the beginning of exposure. Obviously it includes exposure itself, readout etc.

But what I said in the previous message was, should we calculate the lag not from the beginning of exposure, but earlier, when some physical event of interest happened. In which case, as you can see below, if the event happens right after the exposure, there's no way to see it until the next exposure is fully processed.

Code:
          Event                                             Event is shown
            |                                                      |
-<Exposure>-+-<Processing>-<EVF>---------<Exposure>-<Processing>-<EVF>---------------> time

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
But there is where I have to say you are wrong.

Most RF bodies come with an adapter included. Anyone who wants a cheap way to get in should just get the EF 50 stm. You can have it for around $80. I have been saying for a while... I am not interested in an RF 50 f1.8 that is just the same as the EF version. And suggesting that people buying into the RF system should have the option of a cheap (performance wise as well) $100 f1.8 and a $2.5k f1.2 50 mm lens is just silly.

We buy into the RF camera because it is supposed to be new. It is canon's future vision of their next camera system right? We expect good sharpness wide open even for their f1.8 lenses. They don't have to be at the same price level as the nikon S lenses, but they shouldn't be like any ol' EF lens you can simply adapt to the EOS R system.

Let me put it this way. If I as an entry user had to choose between a native mount lens that does exactly the same as the EF version, then I would be better served buying the EF lens from the second hand market at a greatly reduced price. Take the EF 70-200f2.8 III as an example. Current new prices place it at around $1800 (though its MSRP was about what the current RF version is). If it weren't for the smaller size of the RF version, and the fact that I would like to have HSD setting, I would simply get the EF and adapt and save myself $600. Where I go to 2nd hand it would likely be close to $800 if not more savings.

Therefore going full budget considering what the other options are doesn't exactly make sense. Looks like the RF 50 f1.8 macro will essentially be like the 35 f1.8 macro. But since 50s tend to be easier to make, I won't be surprised if it comes out at around $250 (maybe 300-350), which in my opinion is definitely doable. And the way canon tends to price things over time it would probably come down to $200 or so... again quite doable in my opinion. Better the 35 f1.8 performance in terms of sharpness and IQ for $250, than the performance of the EF 50 f1.8 which needs to be stopped down anyways, since it is noticeably soft wide open. Canon seems to add the macro for an extra which I think does make quite a different in versatility. Entry users wouldn't necessarily have to ever get a macro lens to dabble in close up shots.

I disagree. There should be a few budget conscious primes available in native RF mount for users of the RP and its successor. Canon is clearly phasing out of the EF mount so it would be natural to offer some basic lenses for the entry level user. Not everyone can afford the R5 and 1.2L lenses.

If Canon doesn't offer these, and Sigma/Tamron decide not to make RF lenses, the budget conscious purchaser may decide that Sony is a better option just for the glass.

Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
I'd keep the 600mm 1.2, then after the thief is gone, I'll sell it and buy every other 1.2 prime.

If that's cheating, I'll keep the 50mm. 85mm is too long to use indoors at Christmas gatherings, and I have some relatives that desperately need to be prettied up with a 1.2.

Upvote 0
you're assuming the lag cause it the same per each frame. what I'm saying is that it may not be.
We're mostly concerned about the spikes in processing time, but we assume they're rare and we're just skipping frames in such cases.

if the lag cause just happens pre video streaming then the entire video stream is offset from your actual viewing.
On your timeline diagram, the 'lag cause' happens while we're capturing and rendering frames. The processing lag doesn't happen somewhere in the air, it happens in our CPU. So our processing pipeline is either busy with processing the lag cause, or the current frame. We need to capture/read sensor 30 times per second in order to render 30 frames per second in the EVF. If the lag cause is one-off, it's a spike and we simply skip the frames. If the cause is permanent and happens every frame, we simply don't have enough processing power to do 30 frames per second.

so optical viewing would see something but EVF viewing would be slightly delayed by delta T. thus lagged by an offset. but the video stream is still happily processing along at 1/30th of a second intervals or 1/60th .. or on the M5 and others up to 1/120th.

The point is, there's no abstract black-boxed 'offset'. Any offset means we spend time in processing and our CPU is running instructions and spends time in the 'offset'. As above, if the offset as added to processing time regularly, that means we can't do the required number of frames per second.

There could also be hiccups that inject into the frames randomly, ie: a long AF operation. that cause more delta T.. but I would imagine that Canon has a way to monitor delta T and "get it back to 0" somehow, or it would simply build over time.

AF operations should probably be processed in a different CPU thread. I don't think hiccups cause permanent lag. As above, if it's a temp spike in the CPU load, we simply skip frames.

Upvote 0
  • Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM
  • Canon RF 85mm f/1.8 IS STM
I'll take one of each.
me too!
I get the desire for F1.2's but to be honest. I would rather not be one of those people. if I was to get an F1.2 it would be the 85mm over the 50mm (looking back at the posts above here)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The RF 50mm f/1.2L and RF 85mm f/1.2L are true wonders. I would say that the 85mm is the better of the two for portraits. Both are insanely sharp at f/1.2. I have sold my RF 50mm f/1.2L only because my 28-70 covers 50mm just fine for me (also a truly fantastic lens). I just do not have much use for a 50mm prime for my portrait work. Really looking forward to the RF 70-135mm f/2, though an RF 135mm f/1.4L would also be extremely tempting. The autofocus on all three are as near perfect as one can get. With the R's eye-AF my keeper rate (tack sharp focus on the iris) is at least 95%. That is far and away more than what I got with EF lenses on the 5D Mark III. Hope this helps with your decision. I have seen zero CA with the 50 or the 85 in my work.

• Love
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The 85mm

Upvote 0