Canon EOS R/R5 and RF lenses vs Sony Alpha a7R IV and G Master lenses

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That is ok and more than ok, sure. But my hope for best features is to have an extended EV correction and great low noise tollerance @ high ISO.
Sorry. 85Mp in R5 is not a realistic expectation.
20FPS with electronic shutter Feature of R5 has been announced by Canon. 1.7 Giga Pixel per second sensor readout speed is not realistic. 45MP is already pushing it. Let alone 85

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
20FPS with electronic shutter Feature of R5 has been announced by Canon. 1.7 Giga Pixel per second sensor readout speed is not realistic. 45MP is already pushing it. Let alone 85
That is great for me. Again with an extended EV for great highlight and shadow tollerance/correction and a clean image on high iso/low noise, will be just perfect, a dream coming true.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I’m worried what even 45mp would do to noise and high iso performance, to be honest. 45 might be great for wildlife cropping, but is overkill for me.
The Nikon D850 is 45 Mpx and is considered to be one of the best cameras for IQ. Its DR rivals the 1DXIII http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Nikon D850
Even though I am a wildlife cropper, I'd be happy with 45 Mpx as a compromise between excessive file size and resolution. My 5DSR keeps me happy for resolution even though my 90D is an 83 Mpx equivalent.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
The Nikon D850 is 45 Mpx and is considered to be one of the best cameras for IQ. Its DR rivals the 1DXIII http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Nikon D850
Even though I am a wildlife cropper, I'd be happy with 45 Mpx as a compromise between excessive file size and resolution. My 5DSR keeps me happy for resolution even though my 90D is an 83 Mpx equivalent.
I’d settle for exactly the same as the 5d4 or R. If canon can pull that off at 45mp, I’d be happy.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If canon could do what they did with the 5d4, and not only improve the mp significantly from the 5d3, but also give it a huge dr and high iso performance increase, I’d be ecstatic!
You would need a pill to get ecstatic, I am afraid, as the 5DIV has excellent DR and high iso performance. It is only slightly behind the 1DXIII, which is actually matched by the D850.

Upvote 0
This has been reported by a Canon rep , maybe not coming on the R5 , but he said that Canon are working on a Canon mirrorless 85 mega pixel camera .

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
This has been reported by a Canon rep , maybe not coming on the R5 , but he said that Canon are working on a Canon mirrorless 85 mega pixel camera .
That’s quite a different story though. We know that Canon is _likely_ working on a hi res replacement for 5DS/R camera. Just look at what price 5DSR is being sold since recently. It is obviously on its way out. It won’t be a 20FPS electronic shutter rig though.
My gestimate : 8FPS mechanical shutter, 11 FPS electronic shutter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
You would need a pill to get ecstatic, I am afraid, as the 5DIV has excellent DR and high iso performance. It is only slightly behind the 1DXIII, which is actually matched by the D850.

Which is why I used the word ecstatic. It’s unlikely, but wow, if it happened I’d be in dreamland :) I’d be happy if it just matched the dr/iso at a higher mp.

Upvote 0
Hello. I am a Canon lover.
I like to take street photography and fine-art landscape kind of images.
I had in the past an EOS 1D Mark III and 5D Mark II.
Now I am ready to jump to buy this Summer a new EOS R5 body as I just purcheased a 15-35mm RF and a 70-200mm RF lenses.
I hope I made the proper decision....
I say this because I hear top comments on the Sony Alpha camera and the Sony sensor. It looks according to many review, very clean and providing very sharp images. The latest test for the newest Sony G Master 20mm lenses show an increible sharpness at the edges.
I am just wondering, if buy thre fact that I have just purcheased 2 Canon RF lenses and plan to buy, when available, the new R5 body, make sense versus Sony Alpha a7R IV and G Master lenses?

Any comment is very welcome.
TIA,
Andrea
Even from friends I know that shoot Sony, no one beats Canon colors. I am also waiting for the EOS R5. The latest rumor is CFexpress and UHC II slot. I wish they had upgraded both slots, even XQD which would be faster.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Even from friends I know that shoot Sony, no one beats Canon colors. I am also waiting for the EOS R5. The latest rumor is CFexpress and UHC II slot. I wish they had upgraded both slots, even XQD which would be faster.

I feel Canon may be slowly losing that edge in the color realm as well. I’m increasingly underwhelmed by the color rendition of the newer cameras (RP, 5D4 to lesser extent). My old 5D3 probably had the best OOC colors, followed by the 5DSR (which is similar, but sometimes trends green which I feel is a step back). Out of what I currently have, the 5DSR runs circles around all other bodies. The 5D4 has a very muted color output, the RP even more so. The 5DSR OTOH has very a rich output, with strong reds in particular - which I find pleasing for portraiture.

Upvote 0