Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, but the plus is being on the Nevada border. Nearly every license plate at the "store" in Mesquite was from Utah. Too bad I don't still live there. We could go shoot some landscapes together over a "campfire". I must confess, I have lived all over the country and Utah has a very strange culture. Appreciate you! lol I used to work out of St. George. There are two things I miss... 1. Wide open desert where one could be completely alone. 2. Chuck-a Rama. Well, and the "store". The white t-shirts were always an easy signal, but I always wanted to see what the women were wearing under there. :ROFLMAO: Must be magical.

I once did a real estate shoot for a Bishop. Once we were alone he cussed like a sailor.
St. George is not a good representation of how the State is these days, not sure it ever was. SLC has a remarkable LGBQT community, music scene, now has 5.0 beer in grocery stores, Medical herb and it a gateway and hub to all things recreational. Still, the conservative culture is whacked. I just stay in my circle and ignore the Churchislature and whatnot if I can. My neighborhood is like the UN diversity wise but some areas certainly do resemble Idaho who is constantly making Utah look good.Yeah, if you still lived in Mesquite I'd come on by, I am on 1-15 a few times a year heading to San Diego and back.

Upvote 0
We’re all different, I love the mode button on the 1-series, I can edit which modes I want to cycle through instead of having to turn the wheel forever, knocked one off my old 5d also :LOL:

I would like to able to remove modes with the R also, but less needed since since I can just touch the mode I want. I for one hope they never go back to the old mode dial.
It’s not so much dial vs button. It’s one handed vs two. Can’t be done while hand-holding a big lens. I totally agree that editing out unused modes is a great feature. I’d still rather have a knob that I can acces with my right control hand while looking through the wiew finder instead of a button that requires my left Hand and a wheel that required my right. Maybe I just don’t do it right but I really hate it. I mostly shoot in M anyway but it makes C1-3 much less usable. I started with Canon on a mode dial so maybe I’m biased.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
St. George is not a good representation of how the State is these days, not sure it ever was. SLC has a remarkable LGBQT community, music scene, now has 5.0 beer in grocery stores, Medical herb and it a gateway and hub to all things recreational. Still, the conservative culture is whacked. I just stay in my circle and ignore the Churchislature and whatnot if I can. My neighborhood is like the UN diversity wise but some areas certainly do resemble Idaho who is constantly making Utah look good.Yeah, if you still lived in Mesquite I'd come on by, I am on 1-15 a few times a year heading to San Diego and back.
Being inquisitive, I took the tour in SLC. Don't know if you've ever been on that tour with all the minders. Surreal. Anyway, we entered a big room with a magnificent statue of Christ and a painting of earth on the wall. The shadow of the statue covered the earth. Q&A time came and I asked, "If Christ is the light of the world, then why, in this depiction, is his shadow covering it in darkness?" Bewilderment filled the room from the curious and faithful alike. I didn't get an answer, only glares. The tour moved on. Now, I must confess that my weapon (knowledge) wasn't unloaded before I started the tour. Once upon a time I was a Baptist pastor, so that scene really struck me as odd. Well, that and his back turned to it. Symbolism is a powerful thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Being inquisitive, I took the tour in SLC. Don't know if you've ever been on that tour with all the minders. Surreal. Anyway, we entered a big room with a magnificent statue of Christ and a painting of earth on the wall. The shadow of the statue covered the earth. Q&A time came and I asked, "If Christ is the light of the world, then why, in this depiction, is his shadow covering it in darkness?" Bewilderment filled the room from the curious and faithful alike. I didn't get an answer, only glares. The tour moved on. Now, I must confess that my weapon (knowledge) wasn't unloaded before I started the tour. Once upon a time I was a Baptist pastor, so that scene really struck me as odd. Well, that and his back turned to it. Symbolism is a powerful thing.
That is AWESOME!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I'll PM you my address and Paypal addy so you can share some of the inspirational 'tools' of your recent colorful, mellow and cheerful dissonant posts. (It's rough living in Utah and being counter culture)

Just come out and visit Seattle (once this virus is gone), and we'll hook you right up. :cool:

Upvote 0
I think I'm getting so used to the combination of m-fnc button and mode dial/button on top the R that I like it. The m-fnc button especially--I was always trying to get some muscle memory about the old D5 'dual-function' buttons and never did. The 5Div sits lonesome in its pocket.

But as wonderful as the R5 looks to be, I really don't need high speeds, and I really don't need or want IBIS (I realize I'm the minority here). I'm gonna wait and see what the R5s looks like. Lotsa resolution and built with an emphasis on tripod use, I hope.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I think I'm getting so used to the combination of m-fnc button and mode dial/button on top the R that I like it. The m-fnc button especially--I was always trying to get some muscle memory about the old D5 'dual-function' buttons and never did. The 5Div sits lonesome in its pocket.

But as wonderful as the R5 looks to be, I really don't need high speeds, and I really don't need or want IBIS (I realize I'm the minority here). I'm gonna wait and see what the R5s looks like. Lotsa resolution and built with an emphasis on tripod use, I hope.

" ... emphasis on tripod use"

Sounds funny. Any DSLR one cannot put on tripod?
Are there any specific features optimized for tripod use ... ?

Upvote 0
Then again, how often do you actually use the on/off button?
Ok, if you're suggesting there's no need in on/off button because noone turns the camera off (which is debatable), then how would you be turning the camera ON in the first place?

• Love
Upvote 0
But honestly the only thing I truly HATE about this camera is no easy switch mode to video like previous cameras in the DSLR line. I want my video switch toggle back!!!!! Made it easy as a hybrid shooter to shift from photos to video mode.

You have the record button. You click it it starts recording.You click the shutter it stars shooting pictures.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
Sleep mode is different from physical power disconnection.
hardly any cameras I've used have physical power disconnect. No recent Canons I've used although it may be a physical switch that is true off itself the way they are wired is as an e-switch. Pull the battery and reinsert, or open/close card door when in OFF position and you'll see the card read light blink showing power still flowing. The camera just monitors the state of the physical on/off toggle switch it isn't implimented like a proper old school power switch, same for most modern electronics even if the switch is a true off broken circuit toggle kind (and not just momentary off on push like some phones) they are connected in a way power flows in the device regardless. This is why for issues with likes of MagicLantern you have to pull the battery not simply cycle the switch.

Upvote 0
No recent Canons I've used although it may be a physical switch that is, the way they are wired is as an e-switch.

That's because you don't want to just cut the power, you want to shut the systems down properly. Still, after shutting down it's different state than the sleep mode.

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
That's because you don't want to just cut the power, you want to shut the systems down properly. Still, after shutting down it's different state than the sleep mode.
Yeah the state is still a type of sleep with wake on power switch, deeper than the normal sleep mode which monitors some more buttons and wakes a little quicker I presume (thus maybe checks the switches it monitors a little more often) and can skip sensor clean etc to give faster start. Neither is really a true off though was more my point. No reason they couldn't make some other button or option replace the power switch they way it is implimented was my reasoning, such as an option when in sleep stay there indefinately or more to deeper hibernate after X time or long pressing another button or something. Fwiw I agree and prefer having the button to send it into the deepest sleep state and find it outweighs to speed advantage to leaving in normal sleep as I don't turn my stuff off in situations until I'm done. I don't leave my cameras in sleep, nor my lights and so on, once I've stopped shooting for that session I turn it all off and tear down and pack stuff generally. On another note I'm a fan or true off tbh and miss it and wish we'd get that back for many devices as slow as it can be the lack of parasitic drain however negligable is somethign that niggles me along with other reasons.

Upvote 0
don't want to have a conversation?

Your post didn't make sense in context to what I wrote, which was that the R battery grip on the R is perfect. It does look huge and stupid in photos, but people who've not used one will post one of those photos and spout off about how they suck. Which is BS.

Upvote 0
Are there any specific features optimized for tripod use ... ?
Not looking for additional tripod specific features, I'm talking about capabilities I'll seldom use and complexity and battery drainage I don't want. Because I'm using a tripod. I don't want to pay for stuff I don't use. Though I probably will. Just saying.

Upvote 0