The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Calm down, dude. Overwrought are the people having continuous (post after post) hissy fits over something they already know isn't happening. Nothing wrong with wanting two matching slots. There is plenty wrong with continuously griping over something that IS NOT HAPPENING ALREADY. Children. Now please, carry on with your next 50 overwrought nightly posts.

BTW: I never said that any post that doesn't agree with my own is overwrought... that happens to be your own characterization. Project much?

Also, I too would prefer matching cards... BUT IT AIN'T HAPPENING. No sense crying over spilled milk.

I'm perfectly calm. You don't have to throw such a hissy fit over my comment. You might blow a gasket.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The 5D Mark IV SD controller speed is on the UHS104 (UHS-1) standard of 104 MB/s. Actual write performance with the fastest cards is about 79 MB/s.

You're thinking of the EOS R that can write at around 180 MB/s with a controller on the UHS-II standard of 312MB/s.
I stand corrected. So.. at least 180MB/s for R5. Too good! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Except the cloud based storage itself wasn't really hacked. The hackers got the victims to voluntarily give them their account information by sending emails to the victims posing as "Apple Security".

Except it doesn't matter. Photographers are as susceptible to social engineering as celebrities.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I stand corrected. So.. at least 180MB/s for R5. Too good! :)
That is actually TBD. The tests I did on the M6 II maxed out at 117 MB/sec after it was filled. So, it gets down to what Canon does with the R5, do they put in the hardware from the "R" that can do 182 MB/sec, or, considering this is a secondary card slot on the R5, do they put in the hardware from the M6 II.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I know enough photographers to know social engineering would work on some of them.

You've already taken it personally, so feel free to continue doing so.
I haven't taken it personally - you are now jumping to conclusions about me as you have about others. You made a general sweeping statement about photographers, which you have now modified to some.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Not sure what you mean. At B&H, SanDisk Ext Pro CFExpress cards are $60 more than UHS-II cards for 64GB & 128GB sized cards.

Sandisk CF Express Extreme Pro 128GB 1700MB/s Read Speed, 1200MB/s Write Speed @ £299.99
Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDHC Card 300MB/s Read Speed, 260MB/s Write Speed @ £265.00 reduced from £325.99

SDII cards are really slow compared to CFE and exceptionally expensive for what you get. We still have SD Express to come which will bring SD cards back into relevance. Just now buying a SD card is a poor investment given it is due replacement and the current cards are a stopgap.

Upvote 0
If cost were a concern then you cannot afford the R5 and the lenses to go with it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I know they will make it work as usual, just do not like having to use two different format means of storage.

This is rather off topic, but I've never understood the attitude - if you can afford X, you must be able to afford Y and Z on top. I'd think most people have a finite budget - and tradeoffs are made in different ways.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

This is rather off topic, but I've never understood the attitude - if you can afford X, you must be able to afford Y and Z on top. I'd think most people have a finite budget - and tradeoffs are made in different ways.

I agree with this but also see the other side. On a more practical point; if you can afford the SD card, you can afford the CFE card.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I agree with this but also see the other side. On a more practical point; if you can afford the SD card, you can afford the CFE card.
Both sides have merit. The problem with 2 CFEx slots is folks would need to buy a minimum of 2 cards, probably 3, and then buy a reader. That's at least $300-450 for cards and another $60 for the reader (assuming SanDisk Ex Pro).
With 1 card of each, you can get away with 1 CFEx card and a reader. I suspect the majority of people will not need the full speed of CFEx most of the time. To be clear, in USA, SD UHS-II cards are $60 less than the same size CFEx cards, and are backwards compatible with UHS-I.
The only way to please (almost) everyone would be to have 2 CFEx slots and 1 SD UHS-II slot. That's extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Except it doesn't matter. Photographers are as susceptible to social engineering as celebrities.

The fact remains, though, that iCloud was not hacked. The iCLoud accounts of gullible individuals who gave away account info when they should have known better, were.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Will there be a use case for still photography where the SD slot for the R5 will not be fast enough to keep up? If backup is not needed, the CFE should be fast enough for anything.

A faster card bus with an appropriately fast enough card to exploit the bus speed will allow longer bursts before the camera bogs down. This is not an issue with JPEGs, as most of Canon's latest top tier cameras can burst indefinitely when only writing JPEGs to the memory card. Ultimately battery and card capacity are the limiting factors. With raw files it's a different story. The 1D X Mark III is the first Canon EOS camera (or any other FF format ILC of which I'm aware) that can burst indefinitely while saving raw files. But it is only 20 MP instead of 40-45 MP. Based on the fastest speeds at which other Canon cameras with UHS-II card slots can write to the fastest UHS-II memory cards, UHS-II will not be able to keep up indefinitely with 40-45 MP at 12 fps.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That is actually TBD. The tests I did on the M6 II maxed out at 117 MB/sec after it was filled. So, it gets down to what Canon does with the R5, do they put in the hardware from the "R" that can do 182 MB/sec, or, considering this is a secondary card slot on the R5, do they put in the hardware from the M6 II.

Not all UHS-II cards will allow the EOS R to write that fast to them. Only the fastest cards tested wrote that fast, though there were more than a few in the 175-180 MB/s range. There were also more than a few UHS-II cards that could do no better than 75-105 MB/s.

What specific card were you using in your test of the M6 Mark II?

Upvote 0