Canon Europe: "Why the future's bright for DSLR"

Mar 25, 2011
DSLR's do indeed do a better job for difficult situations. However, its the perception of the average buyer along with the price will decide the fate of DSLR / mirrorless. Its yet to be seen just what the impact on the market of a R5 and R6 will be, certainly, a 5D MK IV could match a R5 when in live view if Canon wanted. It is expensive to manufacture three lines of lenses and camera bodies, not to mention all the variations. Service must handle more configurations as well. All this while camera sales are dropping sharply. Certainly, the DSLR is not going away soon. One of the advantages of mirrorless is more accurate focusing without adjusting lenses. Canon could have added the ability to adjust them in camera to overcome that, maybe they will.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Everything this article describes is applicable for the EOS 7D Mk II and its owners.
And yet Canon killed this DSLR that many were waiting and hoping for.

The article's title should therefore be:
"Why the future's bright for full frame DSLRs - because that will be the only ones we at Canon will let you choose from".
As much as I like the 7DII and as disappointed as I am that it is apparently the last of the line (although Canon has never said that) I understand that decisions are based on profitability and since both Canon and Nikon have killed their high end crop sensor bodies, I think we have to accept the possibility that the market just wasn't large enough to sustain these cameras. At least Canon is offering the 90D and perhaps the 90II will live up to the standards of the 7DII. Or, once Canon has comfortably launched the R line, they may revisit the 7DIII.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Good news, I'm still hoping for a 5 DV with 45 MP and 1 D Mk.III ergonomics and controls.
Do not read to much into it. This marketing piece is just to keep DSLR sales from sliding into an oblivion. 1DxIII, 90D, 5D4, etc still current product lines with an array of EF glass to boot.
canon understand that the moment R5 / R6 lands, the DSLR conversation will become much more difficult to have.
EF glass is perfectly usable on RF. No AFMA needed. You get AI driven AF. (Eye AF, animal AF, Beautiful eye AF, Troll eye AF), wysiwyg EVF experience. These features are appealing to a less experienced user. Bingo. Less experience / talent required to shoot mIrrorless.
mirrorless cameras are easy. Hence are more popular amongst prosumers and enthusiasts .

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...the moment R5 / R6 lands, the DSLR conversation will become much more difficult to have. ...mirrorless cameras are easy. Hence are more popular amongst prosumers and enthusiasts .

Unless you want to shoot action, sports, birds...in which case DSLRs are still preferable and are likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. Canon doesn't really care about the "conversation" they care about selling cameras and are more than happy to keep making and selling DSLRs to those who prefer that format.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Unless you want to shoot action, sports, birds...in which case DSLRs are still preferable and are likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. Canon doesn't really care about the "conversation" they care about selling cameras and are more than happy to keep making and selling DSLRs to those who prefer that format.
Selling is impossible without a conversation. That’s how we sell ;)

Upvote 0