Wireless file transmitter for the Canon EOS R5 appears for certification

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Don't forget you still need lenses. No point in using EF glass after buying a body like this.

I'm picking up the RF 35mm as soon as I get the R5. I'd love to have that lens just to use the R5 like a suped-up full frame Fuji X100 to keep on me all the time when I'm not using it for work.

Outside of when I want the camera be as light and small as possible, I don't see myself having a problem with my EF glass and an adapter on the R5, but I'll be interested to see if using RF glass quickly changes my mind on that :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Don't forget you still need lenses. No point in using EF glass after buying a body like this.

My most used lenses are the MP-E65mm and 100mm L macro, I see no need to rush and replace those if an RF equivalent becomes available.

Having said that, the R5 pricing will impact which lens I'll get next:
  • R5 too expensive: RF100-500 + RF85mm, no R5
  • R5 expensive: R5 + RF100-500, keep shooting with SD cards, sell RP
  • R5 cheap: R5 + RF100-500mm + accesories, keep RP
And if the R5 is available too late, e.g. September, I'll postpone all buying decisions to spring 2021.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
So:
  • R5
  • Grip
  • Extra LP-E6NH batteries
  • 2x CFExpress cards
  • WFT
This R5 thing is going from "Maybe within toy budget this year" to "You can survive on one kidney, right?".

The WFT will probably be like the one for the 1D X Mark III. You'll only need it if you need nominal data rates at extended range.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'm going a little crazy... announce already... or at least give us another tease.... no announce ;) ;)

yay! news... oh, wireless transmitter. :cautious:

in all seriousness though, i'm glad for every little tidbit. i'm guessing (hoping?) we get some more official information before the end of the month. February and March announcements were on the 13th; April was on the 21st; will May's update be on the 21st too? :unsure:

Stop asking, "Are we there yet?"

Announcement was planned for Photokina, which was scheduled for 27-30 May, 2020. That's when they're going to announce it. Everyone has prety much known this for at least six months.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Stop asking, "Are we there yet?"

Announcement was planned for Photokina, which was scheduled for 27-30 May, 2020. That's when they're going to announce it. Everyone has prety much known this for at least six months.
sure, but tell me just this one thing... are we there yet? :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
My most used lenses are the MP-E65mm and 100mm L macro, I see no need to rush and replace those if an RF equivalent becomes available.

Having said that, the R5 pricing will impact which lens I'll get next:
  • R5 too expensive: RF100-500 + RF85mm, no R5
  • R5 expensive: R5 + RF100-500, keep shooting with SD cards, sell RP
  • R5 cheap: R5 + RF100-500mm + accesories, keep RP
And if the R5 is available too late, e.g. September, I'll postpone all buying decisions to spring 2021.

They are out to hook every fish they can get; so it will be expensive but not so expensive that you go elsewhere, and it will not be available until Dec but they will accept preorders in July. Lets not forget the few they will trickle out to the YouTube "influencers" to convince the ones on the fence to jump on the preorders with no shipping date in sight.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
The WFT will probably be like the one for the 1D X Mark III. You'll only need it if you need nominal data rates at extended range.
The one for the 1Dx Mark III does not include Ethernet, since it is built in to the camera. It may offer extended range since it is extenal antenna, but, unlike the 1DX, the R5 should have the faster wifi (5gHz) built in, so it should already be fast.

As Pixel said, I think this is more for the extended professional functions such as FTP, better remote control, etc.

Upvote 0

I'm using a Zeiss 135mm Apo Sonnar with the EOS R .. and there's no 135mm I've seen that can fully match that Zeiss. So the RF bodies will be nice for EF or RF, or even adapted Pentacon mount like a Zeiss Flektogon 50mm I'm enjoying

.Gnome_2000.jpg

Upvote 0

wickedac

I'm old here.
Jul 19, 2017
Worcester, MA

That's ridiculous, the lenses I have work fine. The ROI on selling them for RF replacements is non-existent for me anyway. Not until prices come WAY down. And it's not new glass I'm after anyway. I want a 5D-level body with in-viewfinder eye-AF, full-frame AF points, in-viewfinder exposure preview, etc to make my job easier. I don't need new lenses for any of that.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0