Wireless file transmitter for the Canon EOS R5 appears for certification

That's ridiculous, the lenses I have work fine.

I second this! I do have the RF 35mm 1.8 and love it, but all the lenses I have EF including the 500mm F4 IS L II works without any problem in the EOS R. So I do believe that with the R5 would work perfectly! You don´t need the new RF lenses. But of course, with the RF lenses you have the new control rings and probably s slight gain in image quality due to the short distance to the sensor. So you can do a soft transition to RF, buying lets say...1 lens a year and gradually replacing the EF lenses to RF. I am looking forward to use the R5 with the 500mm! :)

Saying that...Canon Come on!!! There is no photokina just announce the camera and release it ASAP!!! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I doubt it will, but it’d be nice if this could replace the need for a CamRanger for me (in order to remotely control the camera, see live view & preview shots from greater distances than the built in wifi allows).
I have the WFT for the 1DX II but I still prefer the CamRanger as it is a lot more stable, it has a lot more control and is quicker. I recently sold my original CamRanger and now use a CamRanger Mini as It has the functionality I need at half the size and 1/4 the cost.

Canon software for WFT remote control is clunky at best and hasn’t received a decent upgrade since the 1D IV and it still blocks out logical control in a limited interface.

I keep the WFT for the rare occasions I want weatherproofed simple communication with the camera but will take the CamRanger over the WFT every time it’s practical.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
That's ridiculous, the lenses I have work fine. The ROI on selling them for RF replacements is non-existent for me anyway. Not until prices come WAY down. And it's not new glass I'm after anyway. I want a 5D-level body with in-viewfinder eye-AF, full-frame AF points, in-viewfinder exposure preview, etc to make my job easier. I don't need new lenses for any of that.

It was a bit of a joke, I'm sure the EF glass is perfectly fine for this body, Canon is the one that wants you to switch to RF glass.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with my 5D4 and I have no plans to own this body or lenses for it. If Canon had stuck with the EF mount for their mirrorless system I would be slightly more interested, but my EF glass and 5D4 body does everything I need for photography.

I don't believe in adapters even if it's from the vendor and if I were to switch to the mirrorless system I'd go all in and get all RF glass; that will probably never happen so I'll stick with my 5D4 and EF mount. For photography there is nothing my current gear does not do that I wish it did.

Video is a different story and I may get the R6 and a few RF lenses for video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'm twitching waiting for this announcement. I've been debating back and forth, but the obvious thing to hit ebay for me would be the 5DSR. I just can't see myself selling the EOS R, at least not yet. That 30MP sensor is just too perfect for routine or volume photography uses. I think between the 5DSR and 6D I should wind up with about half the price of the EOS R5. Part of me still wants to hang back a year and see what the 1RX brings to the table. And I just last week got the RF 24-70 L 2.8 IS ... Damn what a FINE lens that is

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Got them already , I just want a decent macro lens and the 100-500 now

That's a serious investment and I applaud you for it. I'm thinking that's going to be over $10K once you buy the body and storage media. Lets not forget the Adobe subscription which is like death by a thousand cuts.

Upvote 0
That's a serious investment and I applaud you for it. I'm thinking that's going to be over $10K once you buy the body and storage media. Lets not forget the Adobe subscription which is like death by a thousand cuts.
Not that bad when you consider a decent medium format camera can cost that on its own .

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
So:
  • R5
  • Grip
  • Extra LP-E6NH batteries
  • 2x CFExpress cards
  • WFT
This R5 thing is going from "Maybe within toy budget this year" to "You can survive on one kidney, right?".

Don't forget the EF - R adaptor AND the card reader! It gets even worse if you add the RF 24-105, & RF 100-500. Basically, you are moving to a new system with some carryover of lenses (maybe) from the old.

Do you really need a kidney? As long as you don't take long trip, you can shoot between dialysis treatments!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I don't believe in adapters even if it's from the vendor and if I were to switch to the mirrorless system I'd go all in and get all RF glass; that will probably never happen so I'll stick with my 5D4 and EF mount. For photography there is nothing my current gear does not do that I wish it did.

Some people seem to be under the impression that the adapters have optics in them (which of course would be a downside, albeit minor if the glass is very well made). Maybe you were already aware these adapters are simply empty tubes (basically extension tubes), in which case disregard; but if you weren't...does it make a difference?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And even one with a turbo!
Fantastic car.
Yes they did the regular R5 and a regular R5 turbo but then they also did two versions of the mid engined four wheel drive R5 turbo for rally homologation. Ah the days of our youth of unrestricted Group B real mens rally cars, that innocence lost in a moment the day Henri Toivonen had his tragic accident in the Lancia.

Upvote 0