Wireless file transmitter for the Canon EOS R5 appears for certification

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Have you compared ISO 1600, 2500 and 3200? Canon only has 'real' ISOs on the full stops, everything in between is just brightened up a bit by software. ETTR on ISO 3200 should look a lot better than plain ISO 2500. Where 'a lot' might just be placebo effect.

In my experience, the "-1/3 stop" ISO settings (160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500, etc.) that are "pulled" 1/3 stop in raw development (so "darkened" by 1/3 stop, rather than "brightened" by 2/3 stop) are about the same as the full stop amplifications at which they are actually shot (200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, etc.) with a 1/3 stop loss in highlight headroom. It's the "+1/3 stop" settings (125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, etc.) which are pushed 1/3 stop in development from the full stop amplification at which they are actually shot (100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, etc.) that are noisier than the full stop settings well above them.

A few old tests done when this first burst into public consciousness a decade ago support my experience. Here's one of the easiest to digest at a glance of the graph. A lot of the links I have to such similar tests are now dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Question Admin. Will the EOS R5 second card slot be compatible with the new SD Express 8.0 Memory Card? Is the SD host capable of transfering data to the new SD express card? Surely Canon had access to the SD express white papers since they are on the committee. Still reading the white papers. Tell me what you think or are able to find out. The white papers state :
"SD Express cards cannot support UHS-II interface" . However the white papers state that the SD express card will be backward compatible. Figure 11 and Figure 12 looks as if one could put an the SD express card in slot 2 but only get 104 MB/s vs Full duplex 156 MB/s

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Question Admin. Will the EOS R5 second card slot be compatible with the new SD Express 8.0 Memory Card? Is the SD host capable of transfering data to the new SD express card? Surely Canon had access to the SD express white papers since they are on the committee. Still reading the white papers. Tell me what you think or are able to find out. The white papers state :
"SD Express cards cannot support UHS-II interface" . However the white papers state that the SD express card will be backward compatible. Figure 11 and Figure 12 looks as if one could put an the SD express card in slot 2 but only get 104 MB/s vs Full duplex 156 MB/s
I think it's a safe bet that Canon still plays on the conservative side of implementing new tech into their consumer products. Would be great if they somehow future-proofed it, but then again, I'm sure they want to have something to get us to upgrade to the R5 Mark II ;).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I think it's a safe bet that Canon still plays on the conservative side of implementing new tech into their consumer products. Would be great if they somehow future-proofed it, but then again, I'm sure they want to have something to get us to upgrade to the R5 Mark II ;).
Yes. However it will have an express bus host. Question is, it also has as SD host and is that host capable of writing to the new SD express card. From reading the white papers I cant see any reason for it not being able to at least use the half duplex speed. Looking at figure 11 and 12 of the white papers. Not sure of the SD UHS II interface compatibility. Would be pretty simple to find out once the SD express cards are released.

Upvote 0
don't worry kids, here is the next few weeks of Canon headlines for the mysterious R5

Next week "R5 passes UV test on plastic exterior"
week after that "Canon gives go ahead for front Canon logo on R5 size and font type"
another week after that "Canon passes ergonomics test after being passed throughout canon headquarters employees"

more to come my friends, you'll have this camera in no time!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
don't worry kids, here is the next few weeks of Canon headlines for the mysterious R5

week after that "Canon gives go ahead for front Canon logo on R5 size and font type"
another week after that "Canon passes ergonomics test after being passed throughout canon headquarters employees"

The UV test will be after the ergonomics test! I have inside info.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Expect the official announcement at the end of May which is when it's been scheduled to be made for at least six months. This coincides with the dates for the cancelled Photokina Show which was scheduled to run May 27-30.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yeah. Or it affects sales of 5DIV and R. Canon doesn't want to kill 5DIV and R does it?

Given this is supposed to replace the 5D IV, I suspect Canon will be delighted if this kills the 5D IV. And I suspect they dont care if this does in th R as long as it sells and becomes a RF lens seller.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Given this is supposed to replace the 5D IV, I suspect Canon will be delighted if this kills the 5D IV. And I suspect they dont care if this does in th R as long as it sells and becomes a RF lens seller.
Sorry for a bag joke, I thought my irony was obvious :)

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020

While I don't disagree with the premise that concern would be low if one Canon camera were to "kill off" another Canon camera since they get the cash either way, nowhere have they stated that the R5 is meant to replace the 5D. They have, in fact, stated exactly the opposite in the interview with Tech Radar just last month. To quote Canon's Dave Parry (emphasis mine), "It's aimed at that level of the market. This isn't a replacement for the 5D Mark IV or anything like that. But this is a mirrorless 5-series, it's aimed at that segment of the market"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah. Or it affects sales of 5DIV and R. Canon doesn't want to kill 5DIV and R does it?

Pretty much everyone who wants a 5D Mark IV (and can afford one) has already bought one. It's been on the market for just over four years. The EOS R has been on the market for almost two years. Neither can be expected to sell as many units as even a cosmetic "replacement" (e.g. 5D Mark V or EOS R Mark II with no substantive improvements) would be expected to sell.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0