Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

ohm

AF Stickler
Apr 8, 2019
Japan
YouTube.com
Boy the size of that R6 surprises me. It looks almost identical to the R5! I was thinking it was gonna be notably smaller/closer to the RP in relative size to the R5. That's interesting.
What it is is beautiful. The R nailed size and basic ergonomics. It messed up a few button placements and it lacked important dials. We know the R5 fixes this. If the R6 can keep the same basic placement and shape, it will be a wonderful beastie.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
They take it in baby steps. I was really disappointed by the AF of the EF 50 1.8 STM compared to STM kit zooms of similar price. So slow and noisy! RnD probably gets requirements from product mgmt not to improve too much over the previous product, even if that is 20yrs old....

I haven't heard of any AF problems with the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM or 85mm f/1.4L IS USM, why would there be any with an EF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM?

Upvote 0
It takes at least 2 years so we don't know the time line of development. Did you think development somehow just started when a camera is announced? They have patents for mirrorless going back 10 years. The announcement lead time is timed by salespeople to keep interest up, while letting factories (which must practice social distancing) and buyers who must scour the markets for components have time to build inventory. The number of R5 cameras needed for initial inventory will far surpass the 1DX Mark III.

It's not a criticism. Just I remember the 1DX being announced in what, December before (I think) June availability. But I was worried I was wrong so I asked.

CR seems to be hella reactive lately what's up guys?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

What it is is beautiful. The R nailed size and basic ergonomics. It messed up a few button placements and it lacked important dials. We know the R5 fixes this. If the R6 can keep the same basic placement and shape, it will be a wonderful beastie.
The same is valid for me. For a full frame body I like the size and ergonomics of the R5, R6. When I want to go small I do have the EOS M5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
They take it in baby steps. I was really disappointed by the AF of the EF 50 1.8 STM compared to STM kit zooms of similar price. So slow and noisy! RnD probably gets requirements from product mgmt not to improve too much over the previous product, even if that is 20yrs old....
Agreed, my guess is they will aim to just improve autofocus to be fast and quiet. That alone would allow them to get away with charging a couple hundred $ more than the EF, and there would be pricing room in between that and the 1.2L to release an f/1.4L IS USM down the line.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What is this difference on the front of the bodies of the R5 and the R6. Is this the input for the remote shutter release that is on the R5 front and misses out on the R6?
View attachment 190865
As I can't see such input on the front of the R, Rp, where do the R, Rp have their shutter release input? On the side of the body?
I think the front input is fine especially in conjunction with a l-bracket.

Frank
On the R, the remote shutter release is on the side of the body and it uses a different style of connector. Looks like the R5 uses the same configuration as the 5D IV. I'm guessing that the R6 uses the same connector as the R and puts it in the same spot on the side of the body, which would be consistent with the expected lower price of the R6.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
It will be interesting to see what level of shipping inventory Canon has when they roll out these new bodies and lenses. Given how anemic global camera sales are right now, it seems like they should have lots of spare manufacturing ability. Of course, some of that capacity might not be useful for these new sku's and it's possible that there are still a lot of individual parts that they might have trouble sourcing. It's also posible that they will limit availability for marketing purposes. Nothing drives sales interest like perceived scarcity. It will also be interesting to see how broad and deep the market actually is for a ~$4000 camera. Should be an exciting fall in CanonLand. I'll have to stock up on the popcorn.
I wouldn't be surprised if CPS members get first dibs on the R5, followed by preferred customers at various camera stores and finally a wait list.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Is it R6 in the middle? I would put R5 as higher end in middle of lineup.
Or they are just side by side .
The R6 in the middle is indeed a riddle. Maybe it was placed there to revive all trickling threads about the R bodies with a new detail to discuss? Or the R6 will be THE low-light beast for the new dark side of Canon's tele lens line-up? Questions, questions, and not yet an answer... :unsure:

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
A few observations.

The R6, with the same form factor as the R5, looks like it might not be all that inexpensive.

The RF 70-200mm f/4L might be black rather than white? I like that.

The f/11 primes could be amazing.

Can't wait for the announcement so I can start a shopping list/plan.
I think that the R6 is probably polycarbonate. Similar build as a 6D. Probably cost $2499. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
To me, one of the most interesting things here is the publicity photo showing all five bodies. My conclusion: (1) The R and RP are staying in the lineup. (2) We aren't going to see any additional bodies anytime soon.

There is a lot of price room between the R and the R5. The R6 is going to come in there somewhere. Maybe $2,300-$2,700?

I'm thinking we are gonna see a concurrent price drop on the R (and maybe a smidge on the RP) with the R5/R6 announcement.

All body only (Stewart's Crystal Ball BS):

RP = stays or drops to $799
R = $1399-1499
R6 = $1899-2199
R5 = $3499-3899

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be surprised if CPS members get first dibs on the R5, followed by preferred customers at various camera stores and finally a wait list.
You may be right. My guess is: if you have the cash, Canon will get one to you pretty quick. As weak as the camera market is, Canon will do everything it can to fill demand. Given how long Canon has had to get ready for this, they should have inventory for the launch. I could be totally wrong of course. That's what makes it fun.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
If you are in the market for the EOS R1, the wait might be within the next two years. In addition, you probably would be looking at purchasing new RF glass. Have you considered the EOS-1D X Mark III? It is a fantastic camera that you can purchase today, and you can use your existing EF "L" lenses.
I was a bit concerned about the 20mp and cropping. How high of ISOs have you been able to get good results. It has really been crossing my mind and just going this route.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
That would not be possible for an RF lens as it would increase the register distance.
I'd like your post but I'm not sure what that means lol. I can only assume it is the distance between the sensor, flange and 1st element?? any who, they will either be compatible or they won't. Great if they are, pants if they dont' and a shame.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
How would you install a adapter for a RF lens? It would change the distance to the sensor plane so you would not be able to focus. I suppose one could be designed with lenses inside to correct for that, but making it work for every current and future RF lens is probably not something you'd want to pat for.
I bow to your obviously superior technical knowledge, I just use the camera and don't have a great knowledge of the design or technical details lol. May be a silly question but as the drop in filter adapter adds a further element and is deeper than the normal adapter, would that not have the same issue with EF lenses?

Upvote 0