Here is the Canon EOS R6

Sep 1, 2016
So Now @Canon Rumors Guy has spoiled just about everything, thursday will be about the intangibles:

What do the shots look like?
How are Canon positioning these cameras?
Are there some functions we're unaware of?
What's the ISO sensitivity like?
How much?

Spec leaks are exciting, but I'm still interested in how Canon play this launch out. It's weird that they're doing youtube things - seems like more of a flex than normal.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
1) As I predicted, the R6 line is in competition with the A7s line (rather than simply continuing the 6D line).

2) If the 1DX Mk. III and the 5D Mk. IV are any indication, the R6 won't perform much better in low light than the R5. See: chart below, wherein there's barely 1/3 a stop of difference between the two, and only from ISO 50 to ISO 320.

photos photons 5d iv 1dx iii.JPG

3) If Canon releases a good vertical grip with the R6, what's to stop most shooters from using it instead of the (eventual) R1? :unsure:

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
1) As I predicted, the R6 line is in competition with the A7s line (rather than simply continuing the 6D line).

2) If the 1DX Mk. III and the 5D Mk. IV are any indication, the R6 won't perform much better in low light than the R5. See: chart below, wherein there's barely 1/3 a stop of difference between the two, and only from ISO 50 to ISO 320.

View attachment 191174

3) If Canon releases a good vertical grip with the R6, what's to stop most shooters from using it instead of the (eventual) R1? :unsure:
Answer to 3.... Build quality. Focusing ability. Ability to transfer files super quick as a pro sports camera has to. Lots of things. But yes. he R6 will make a bloody good camera

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
If you need more than 20 MP, then don't buy the camera. 20 MP is more than enough for weddings, virtually any professional shoot, and prints up to 30: x 20". If that sounds like only "rubes" will buy this camera, then you are an idiot and know nothing about photography.
It's simply about physics: tiny pixels = less light per pixel, less DR because of their small capacity, lower signal-to-noise ratio, and added to this you unfortunately need faster shutter speeds to freeze motion on the pixel level. You also lose more actively photon collecting area in total on the sensor, because each pixel adds some dead zones due to its electronics etc. Another fact based on physics is diffraction blur, so the optimum aperture is smaller with smaller pixels if you want to convert their full potential into an image. You lose then depth of field, which e.g. can be limiting in classic landscape/cityscape photography. This is no argument against high MP FF cameras: they CAN make sense, if you shoot with a lot of light and can live with a smaller DoF, then you have an additional advantage that you can crop massively if you need. In fact, I use a 7D2 for wildlife which equals a 45 MP FF sensor, but this crop camera really needs much light (ok, it is old technology, too).

As a science journalist I am currently dealing with smartphone camera technology in depth and therefore I am extremely aware about the physical limits of small pixels. In smartphones, a lot of algorithms have to turn a huge loss of real image information into heavily post-processed images. One of the latest trends is adding artificial image content from data bases to sort of fill-in losses. Such tweaked images are not my personal idea about photography, I have to say.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Answer to 3.... Build quality. Focusing ability. Ability to transfer files super quick as a pro sports camera has to. Lots of things. But yes. he R6 will make a bloody good camera

Of course the 1D line has a rock solid build and better transfer capability, but mostly, in terms of pure specs and most of the ergonomics, it competes extremely well. Still, I predict that the R6 won't take the battery grip. I don't know if Canon would want such an amazing camera on the market at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of their top-of-the-line without something seriously missing. I think that thing is the grip.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

The A7s line is higher-end than the R6, over 3000$ definitely.
Maybe the naming will change to A9s now, we don't know, but the main target is the this class: A7III (to be updated A7IV), Z6 (to be updated Z6s), S1, etc. all 24MP

People need to rely on their eyes and look at actual test images (preferably ones that they make) instead of linking test charts which say nothing about how the images look, is the noise removable or it is too much, has the colour degraded too much, or is it still acceptable? How do the shadows look when pushed?

Very simple, it will probably be a new sensor with technology even pushed further, it is going to be more capable than the R6 and more durable, if it will use the same battery as the 1DX series, that means the mechanical shutter can reach 20fps instead of just 12fps.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Shouldn't it be then something like an R20 with APS-C? (And some cheaper lenses?)
This is one of the very interesting questions about the future of the RF vs. M system: will Canon keep the APS-C M system alive or will they come up with e.g. an R7 crop camera?

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
The A7s line is higher-end than the R6, over 3000$ definitely.
Maybe the naming will change to A9s now, we don't know, but the main target is the this class: A7III (to be updated A7IV), Z6 (to be updated Z6s), S1, etc. all 24MP

People need to rely on their eyes and look at actual test images (preferably ones that they make) instead of linking test charts which say nothing about how the images look, is the noise removable or it is too much, has the colour degraded too much, or is it still acceptable? How do the shadows look when pushed?

Very simple, it will probably be a new sensor with technology even pushed further, it is going to be more capable than the R6 and more durable, if it will use the same battery as the 1DX series, that means the mechanical shutter can reach 20fps instead of just 12fps.

1) I don't think this competes with the A7III, a camera that was released 2.5 years ago. The A7IV will have close to 30mp, if not higher. They're too different to be competing. The R6 shoots faster than the A7III, too, including in e-shutter mode. I think the A7IV will compete with the R Mk. II, if we get one, but honestly, I don't see Canon competing directly against the A7IV. Maybe the R5 does? We'll see what Sony announces.

2) People bring that point up time and again, and yet no one can produce images that demonstrate more difference than the results of the test charts. If there are test images that show a major noise difference, I'd like to see them, but I've never seen them posted around here.

3) I'm playing devil's advocate. My point is how insane the specs are, and how close they are to the 1DX-line, at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I have five months to convince my wife that this cameras is necessary. Not easy for someone who does not understand sensor performance in low light etc. Any tips would be appreciated.
Ps. I ALWAYS immediately say yes when she wants to buy another item of clothing that isn't needed so I do have that in my favor ;)
Tell her the new camera delivers better images of her in her new clothes ;) I am fortunate, I am married with a girl that already had her first camera when she was six and since then never stopped with photography. So I do not have to explain my investments in new gear...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0