UK pricing leaks for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
About the R1: First, remember this is a unicorn at this point. No one knows when and if it will materialize.

Everything about the R5 and the 1DxIII says to me that Canon is in no hurry to release a 1 series mirrorless. Is there even a market for one?

Once again I link to this article: https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/future-of-dslrs/

If the R5 is as good as promised, it will suffice for quite some time for those who want to shoot action with a mirrorless. I suspect Canon did not hold back on the R5 but instead pushed it to the limits of currently available mirrorless technology. We will have to wait until it is released and we start seeing reviews, but if it comes close to what has been promised, it could leave very little for an R1 to offer.

Expect the 5DV in 2021 and the R1 in 2022. Canon could put the 1Dx on a four-year summer Olympics cycle and the R1 on a four-year winter Olympics cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
What “rumored” video specs? I think Canon has listed the video specs on their website. The only rumors were speculation around overheating and time limits.
I'm aware of the R5 specs Canon posted but not any official post of the R6.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
So that's £2200 for the R5 on grey import and £1499 for the R6.

(Probably)
lol no way, the 1DX III is £5099 over £6499, so expect a 20% decrease in price, e.g. £3299 for the R5 and £1999 for the R6, although they will probably milk early buyers somewhat and go over that (especially in the case of the R6, which will probably be in higher demand)
Maybe better deals will be available at year's end.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I think the R5 is going to be a $4k + tax body in the US. I will have to wait for some deals to show up. I was thinking $3800 + tax max.
The headline for this article reads:
  • Canon EOS R5 body £4199
That converts to $5293. If that number is accurate, you’ll wait a long time for $3800!

• Haha
Upvote 0
That converts to $5293. If that number is accurate, you’ll wait a long time for $3800!
Not sure you understand the finer points of international pricing. We can all convert pounds to dollars. That’s not the relevant issue.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And if you take the 25% tax and duty included in the UK price and not in the USA price you get £3,359, or $4,142. You see it all works out. And don't forget there has already been a comment from Canon that it is sub $4,000.

Upvote 0
I love the SL2 for a lot of reasons and I have both M and Q cameras but the focus on the SL2 lags behind the even my current R by a lot. And in the US a SL2 with a wide to medium zoom and a medium to longish lens plus extra batteries is going to run almost 20K. Unless you are being sarcastic :)
Was only thinking how much fun I could have for 5k and up. Don‘t really need any of the features, but an M10 would be a lot of fun....especially for its lack of features ;-)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I just did some “to over here” calculation, and in Norway with the currency really plummeting it’s going to be the same as the 1dx at release. Or to put in a horrifying conversion for you US citizens. Because of the exchange rate the R5 is going to be $1900 more than it would’ve been in 2015. Just because of the currency. The difference in dollar for the 1dx and 1dx3 was zero dollars, for us, buying a 1dx3 now we’ll pay $3200 MORE at the same us price for both, for a total of $8780 for a new 1dx3. It’s insane.

So where I could afford a 1-series earlier, I can now barley afford a 5-series.

• Sad
Upvote 0
lol no way, the 1DX III is £5099 over £6499, so expect a 20% decrease in price, e.g. £3299 for the R5 and £1999 for the R6, although they will probably milk early buyers somewhat and go over that (especially in the case of the R6, which will probably be in higher demand)
Maybe better deals will be available at year's end.

The 5D4 on launch was around £3399 but E-infin were selling it at £2600 off the bat (Edit - about 6 weeks after launch).

Also the current RRP of the EOS R through WEX is £1999 with E-infin charging it out at £1350.

Sure, £2200 may be a little low but I think your 20% guesstimate is considerably reserved.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
About the R1: First, remember this is a unicorn at this point. No one knows when and if it will materialize.

Everything about the R5 and the 1DxIII says to me that Canon is in no hurry to release a 1 series mirrorless. Is there even a market for one?

Once again I link to this article: https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/future-of-dslrs/

If the R5 is as good as promised, it will suffice for quite some time for those who want to shoot action with a mirrorless. I suspect Canon did not hold back on the R5 but instead pushed it to the limits of currently available mirrorless technology. We will have to wait until it is released and we start seeing reviews, but if it comes close to what has been promised, it could leave very little for an R1 to offer.

Expect the 5DV in 2021 and the R1 in 2022. Canon could put the 1Dx on a four-year summer Olympics cycle and the R1 on a four-year winter Olympics cycle.
The expected shipping date of 2022 for delivery of the EOS R1 is a good guess. However, I would think the EOS 5D Mark IV and the EOS-1D X Mark III are the final native camera bodies for EF lenses.

Upvote 0
Good plan! When you are comcerned about getting value for your €£¥$ the first name that comes to mind is always Leica!
Just noticed that Japanese camera makers are catching up with the traditionally insane prices of our German manufacturers... ;-) Apples to pears, of course, but similar level of fun for hobbyists.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
We are enthusiastic about these new offerings from Canon, but generally I don't know much people with equivalent bodies like the EOS R or 5D mk III or 5D mk IV who are eager to switch in this economic environment.

Alot of working photographers have been on the sideline for months during covid 19. Event photography has basically crashed completely where I am from. AD work and commercial work, several jobs cancelled.

I think those who have equipment thats doing the job already are going to be slow to convert or upgrade. And those who shoot other brands like Sony / Nikon who don't have a Canon eco syetem of EF lenses to soften the blow definitely won't anytime soon.

I don't think the demand will be robust! Not as we would have expected Pre covid 19.

The only reason I have intention to purchase is because my current camera body is over 10 years old. I have been saving since November of 2019 to finally upgrade and even I may wait a couple months for Thanksgiving to see if the prices come down a bit, because right now work isn't exactly overwhelming anyone.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Anyone know if new Canon cameras are typically available for preorder on Amazon? I know the R5 will be on Adorama and BHphoto but, now that they all charge taxes, I'd like to take advantage of 5% cashback on my Amazon Prime card

I don't know if it's same day, but I think they do. The last thing I pre-ordered on Amazon was the RF 70-200. Not sure about the bodies. Regardless, I'll be doing the same. That 5% cashback will wipe out sales tax and some change for me. So if the camera is $4K, that's $200 dollars back.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The 5D4 on launch was around £3399 but E-infin were selling it at £2400 off the bat. I should know, I was there.

Also the current RRP of the EOS R through WEX is £1999 with E-infin charging it out at £1350.

Sure, £2200 may be a little low but I think your 20% guesstimate is considerably reserved.
That was 2016, very different circumstances.
The shipping cost is much higher now, the currency is much weaker, and also the cameras are better specced from the start.
In the present situation, it should be compared with a 2020 camera (like the 1DX III), or you can look at the A9II as well for a fairly recent example, the current saving is also 22% on that one.
The R5 and R6 are probably going to be much more popular than the 5D IV (6D II), which mainly appealed towards 5D III (6D) users who would still upgrade to a DSLR body.
So I don't expect them to price it low at all, they don't need to.
If the cameras are good, they are just going to sell all the stock they import and people need to wait for the next one (usually they are not honest about stock and allow orders to go to negative balance in case someone does a return within 14 days, they will send that one to a new buyer...yes your grey market camera might not be completely new as the boxes are not sealed).

• Haha
Upvote 0