Feature updates coming via firmware for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

There is no documented overheating problem with these cameras...reason...no one has had one to test! Not one single production model has been tested by an independent reviewer. Stop speading unsubstantiated rumours.
Honestly, I don't see overheating as a deal breaker for many users, but certainly it would be a challenge for some. It all comes down to how you're using a camera. For me, I'm firmly in the camp that is appreciative that Canon is putting out bodies and equipment and giving users access to it's full potential. I'm just happy they didn't compromise the weather sealing to enable better heat dissipation - I'd be out if that was the case.

With that said, on whether it does or does not overheat; Peter McKinnon is sponsored by Canon and openly said it was overheating on him if he was shooting a lot of 4k/120:

Also, Canon doesn't seem to be hiding that heat is an issue - I could be wrong but I believe Canon even released a document with recording time limits due to heat. Heat was my biggest question on announcement - I was begging for them to avoid putting in vents like in the S1H or a cinema camera! They made the right choice, for me anyway.

Frankly, in my opinion this is only a scandal because people are looking for something to point to as a failure, and reaffirm the perspective that "Canon is not looking out for their customers" or are trying to trick the world. How dare Canon not bend the rules of physics for us the consumer, how dare they not be 10 years ahead of the curve instead of 5, how dare they hide overheating by letting one of their ambassadors openly say it overheated on them in a promo, and even release a document showing the limits caused by heat. Honestly, I'd rather they put 8K in with a record limit for overheating than not have 8K at all. It shows me they're giving the user the choice.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
All-I and Log 3 will be nice adds for the R6. My only experience with CanonLog is the 8 bit version on the 5D Mark IV which isn't great.

I wish they would give the R6 the full width DCI mode from the 1DX's. There doesn't seem to be any reason not to.

I'm going to end up with a 1DX Mark II that only shoots DCI and an R6 that only shoots UHD. It's a fairly mild crop in either direction but it's still going to be an annoyance.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
If you’ve ever spoke with and of Canon’s engineering or design team, you’ll know how serious they are about product reliability. I’d imagine they’re still testing solutions to improve this equipment, and will update them after the release. It’s really not that surprising and if people understood how complicated lines of code and processing can create unexpected errors, this would make sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I PreOrdered the R6 through the CR link. Thought it not having ALL-I Codec was a bit tacky, although not nearly as silly as no 24p (initially) in the RP. It's nice to see Canon making this change if true. But C-Log3 ???? WOW. THAT is unexpected. I record externally anyway so the ALL-I isn't a big deal for me personally but I know for some folks it would be... But C-Log 3 is a shocker. Canon is really a whole new beast apparently because a couple years ago this never would even be rumored.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Most people don't use these types of cameras for long filming periods. They have the cinema line for that.
Not quite. I just used the EOS R three times in the last month with an external recorder. Which is one of the main reasons to use one for extended recording times. All three of these were single shots lasting 30mins+.

You'd be surprised how many folks do because it makes a nice compact package for simple situations you don't want/need or have the budget to shoot with a bigger and much more expensive set-up like a C500-2.

All that being said, recording internally up to 30 mins is NOT a problem. I just prefer better codecs that I can only get externally. And the "overheating" problem is only listed as being an issue in 8K, which almost no one is going to use for 15-20 minute shots (partly because of the $600-$1000 card you'd need to do it) and the 4KHQ mode with the heavy 8K oversampling. Again, regular 4K is fine. And I can't imagine running a Slo-Mo clip for 10 mins, let alone 20 mins. SloMo clips are usually short segments of a few seconds to a few minutes.

People are getting bent way out shape and way out of context on this issue.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Makes sense when everyone who bought the overheating R5 realize 20 minutes of filming is really not a lot, canon will have to do something about it ! Firmware updates is the best trick to keep idiots believing in the product...
Actually 20 minutes of 8K raw in a compact fully weathered sealed stills camera is amazing and no one else has done it. Remember this is not a dedicated video camera but a compact hybrid. If your a serious videographer you’d use a video camera or cinema camera. This camera is not meant for filming long interviews for an hour+, you’d be better with a dedicated system. That being said, I was watching interviews yesterday and I’m pretty sure it was either Rudy Winston or Mehdia Mehtal from Canon that said if you use an external recording device you can record 8K without heating issues.

Upvote 0
Canon has confirmed via twitter that the R5 will ship with 1080
I am very hopeful that the 120fps @ 1080p (Full HD) is going to occur.
In fact, I would have loved it to be 240fps, (with full AF, rapid exposure updates, etc) - because that would be a great tool for slow-mo.

When I saw the 8k raw video specs, and 120fps @ 4k, I really hoped that it would be at least 120fps @ Full HD... which was a (little) disappointment for me. I won't use 4k often, let alone 8k. But full HD I will use fairly regularly.

So I certainly hope this information / rumour will become reality!
Canon has confirmed via Twitter that the R5 will include 1080p/120fps. As this is one of the rumored firmware upgrades I would not be surprised if the camera ships with most if not all of the listed upgrades.

Upvote 0
Makes sense when everyone who bought the overheating R5 realize 20 minutes of filming is really not a lot, canon will have to do something about it ! Firmware updates is the best trick to keep idiots believing in the product...
I guess I'm one of those idiots. I also guess S35 Arri and Panavision film cameras are crap too; a standard 35mm mag holds 1000ft and Records about 11min at 24fps (but they don't overheat). Haha. I'm being coy.

If one wants longer run times, there's the C300iii, C500ii, RED Helium, etc. out there to buy or rent depending on your project.

I usually record clips not much longer than 10 seconds at a time. My work dictates that. I guess the R5 should be labeled as a precision tool for B-roll.

Again, I would not recomment the R5 if one is filming talking heads/interviews.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Most people don't use these types of cameras for long filming periods. They have the cinema line for that.
Agreed.
However, there's a bunch of dreamers wanting to have very much for almost "nothing", relatively speaking.
How could you think of shooting 8K 45 min interview on both cards internally for less than $4K?

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I'm more wondering if they'll add another option for 4k 24/25/30 that isn't a full downsampling from 8k to avoid the overheating problem. On the surface that makes sense - if people really want to record 4k with no time limit and not melt the camera, why not allow a lower quality video output which doesn't have the same heat generation (if technically possible). Or maybe one of those adaptors referenced on the "what's next" rumour page is that EF adapter cooling system that was patented a while back...
My understanding there is one. Unless I am mistaken. The so-called standard 4K. Only the 4K HQ is donwsampling from 8K. I put a link in another thread where Canon rep explained it.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't see overheating as a deal breaker for many users, but certainly it would be a challenge for some. It all comes down to how you're using a camera. For me, I'm firmly in the camp that is appreciative that Canon is putting out bodies and equipment and giving users access to it's full potential. I'm just happy they didn't compromise the weather sealing to enable better heat dissipation - I'd be out if that was the case.

With that said, on whether it does or does not overheat; Peter McKinnon is sponsored by Canon and openly said it was overheating on him if he was shooting a lot of 4k/120:

Also, Canon doesn't seem to be hiding that heat is an issue - I could be wrong but I believe Canon even released a document with recording time limits due to heat. Heat was my biggest question on announcement - I was begging for them to avoid putting in vents like in the S1H or a cinema camera! They made the right choice, for me anyway.

Frankly, in my opinion this is only a scandal because people are looking for something to point to as a failure, and reaffirm the perspective that "Canon is not looking out for their customers" or are trying to trick the world. How dare Canon not bend the rules of physics for us the consumer, how dare they not be 10 years ahead of the curve instead of 5, how dare they hide overheating by letting one of their ambassadors openly say it overheated on them in a promo, and even release a document showing the limits caused by heat. Honestly, I'd rather they put 8K in with a record limit for overheating than not have 8K at all. It shows me they're giving the user the choice.
Here's another one. Peter McKinnon just uploaded a new vlog and touches on overheating he experienced. I don't think it's being hidden. This clip should go right to where he talks about his experience, but it's only a moment of acknowledgement:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Since this is a tread about R5/6 firmware updates, I'd like to make this request to Canon:

I see that Canon is coming out with focus bracketing for the R5, and I'd like to thank Canon for this. But I have heard that there will be one way to initiate the focus bracket, which is for the user to focus at the start (closest point) of the bracket, start the exposure, and the camera will take shots from that point and further into the distance until the bracket is finished. This is exactly what my previous Olympus EM1_II camera did, and it was extremely frustrating to use because you have to guess where the near focus should be and then hope that the end of the bracket will finish at a good spot. That's extremely hard to do, and so frustrating that I gave up using focus bracketing because of it.

Canon: can you please add this option to the focus bracketing menu? :
Please add an additional menu option to allow the initial focus position to be the *middle* of the bracketed shots, as that's the way I'd want to use it. For example: I'd focus on the eye of the bug I want to bracket, then press the exposure button, and the camera would back up the focus (reduce the focus distance) appropriately so that the bracketed shots would have the eye in the exact middle of the bracket. That gets the perfect bracket of shots every time, with no guesswork! You would make me (and many others) very happy!

FYI: I have ordered the R5 and RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1 L lens at B&H and I intend to buy more RF lenses in the near future. I hope that you can see this request and pass it on to the R5 programming team so that it can be implemented. Since it is only a minor software addition to an already existing feature, I hope that you can make this available in an upcoming firmware update. - Thank you!

Upvote 0
Since this is a tread about R5/6 firmware updates, I'd like to make this request to Canon:

I see that Canon is coming out with focus bracketing for the R5, and I'd like to thank Canon for this. But I have heard that there will be one way to initiate the focus bracket, which is for the user to focus at the start (closest point) of the bracket, start the exposure, and the camera will take shots from that point and further into the distance until the bracket is finished. This is exactly what my previous Olympus EM1_II camera did, and it was extremely frustrating to use because you have to guess where the near focus should be and then hope that the end of the bracket will finish at a good spot. That's extremely hard to do, and so frustrating that I gave up using focus bracketing because of it.

Canon: can you please add this option to the focus bracketing menu? :
Please add an additional menu option to allow the initial focus position to be the *middle* of the bracketed shots, as that's the way I'd want to use it. For example: I'd focus on the eye of the bug I want to bracket, then press the exposure button, and the camera would back up the focus (reduce the focus distance) appropriately so that the bracketed shots would have the eye in the exact middle of the bracket. That gets the perfect bracket of shots every time, with no guesswork! You would make me (and many others) very happy!

FYI: I have ordered the R5 and RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1 L lens at B&H and I intend to buy more RF lenses in the near future. I hope that you can see this request and pass it on to the R5 programming team so that it can be implemented. Since it is only a minor software addition to an already existing feature, I hope that you can make this available in an upcoming firmware update. - Thank you!
Where does one go to actually give Canon feedback?

Because they are neglecting the fact that with an IBIS sensor you can make 4-shot high-resolution images. I see everywhere that the R5/R6 discussion is only about video, while there are still people around that would like to use these for actual photographs. I know it sounds old fashioned, but there are....

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0