Feature updates coming via firmware for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Makes sense when everyone who bought the overheating R5 realize 20 minutes of filming is really not a lot, canon will have to do something about it ! Firmware updates is the best trick to keep idiots believing in the product...

Very mature argument method when people have different opinions.
The firmware didn't mention anything about fixing overheating.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This is probably a fake clickbait rumour about the R6 and it managed to go though nicely as I see it...

At least Canon does not mention anything firmware-related unlike they did with the R5.

UHS-II can't take ALL-I 4k60p on the R5, so how it would be able to it on the R6 I have no idea.

I voiced my opinion on that side, and it got deleted, just saying, it seems like a waste of time going there...

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Has there been any suggestion that the camera will be able to shoot in smaller RAW files? I heard it would have a 22mp RAW image file option and there hasn't been any evidence of this...and I would really like the option to shoot at 22mp when I'm bringing home 4,000+ images at a race.

Upvote 0

Paul Nordin

CR Pro
Jun 5, 2020
That being said, I was watching interviews yesterday and I’m pretty sure it was either Rudy Winston or Mehdia Mehtal from Canon that said if you use an external recording device you can record 8K without heating issues.
Highly unlikely. The HDMI port is not compatible with a full 8K.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Where does one go to actually give Canon feedback?

Because they are neglecting the fact that with an IBIS sensor you can make 4-shot high-resolution images. I see everywhere that the R5/R6 discussion is only about video, while there are still people around that would like to use these for actual photographs. I know it sounds old fashioned, but there are....
I wasn't sure, so created a thread to consolidate feedback, for any Canon employees who might take a look at these forums. Please feel free to add your ideas!
It's under Forums>Gear Talk>EOS R Series Camera Discussion RP, R, R5, R6>Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests
Direct URL: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...-firmware-upgrade-and-feature-requests.38815/

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd be surprised about Clog3, but HD 120fps in the R5 seems like a good possibility. I've asked a number of Canon reps about it, illustrating how anyone still using a 1080p workflow (honestly quite a lot of people) would be better off with the cheaper R6 than R5.

Regardless of all the unreasonable complainers, Canon really hit it out of the park with these two bodies. I applaud them.
I heard clog one is made for 8 bit and suppsoed worse to have it in ten bit
More than just rumors.

Regarding contents under consideration for correspondence with firmware upgrade

• Full HD/120P recording size support
  • Added low bitrate mode to RAW and IPB for all resolutions and frame rates
  • Canon Log 3
[/QUOTE
Everyone wants these why not just add it. Stuff like this is so stupid. These are software updates. Who would they hurt by adding these things. They have an ancient 8bit log with a 10/12 bit camera. Clog is only 12 stops by cameras from others brands for years now have over 12 bit video.

Upvote 0
Has there been any suggestion that the camera will be able to shoot in smaller RAW files? I heard it would have a 22mp RAW image file option and there hasn't been any evidence of this...and I would really like the option to shoot at 22mp when I'm bringing home 4,000+ images at a race.
It should have CRAW as an option. Still .CR3 files but it is a lossy compression. There have been some independent reviews on using this option and it appears quite good. I will get 128GB cards and will use CRAW when shooting 1500+ shots in a session

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I wasn't sure, so created a thread to consolidate feedback, for any Canon employees who might take a look at these forums. Please feel free to add your ideas!
It's under Forums>Gear Talk>EOS R Series Camera Discussion RP, R, R5, R6>Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests
Direct URL: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...-firmware-upgrade-and-feature-requests.38815/
Thank you for creating a forum thread for posting firmware update suggestions.

I've added a post there regarding aperture bracketing.
For the benefit (or dread :)) of those in this thread, I'll copy it in case they care to see it:

Product R5 and R6:

Request: Aperture bracketing (relative to current aperture chosen):

Menu choices:
Aperture bracket: on/off
#stops per step: 1:9
#steps wider: 0:9
#steps narrower: 0:9

Use example:
(current aperture is f4)
#stops per step is 1, #steps wider is 1, #steps narrower is 2
Exposures taken at f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8

Use example:
(lens aperture is f1.4 to f22)
(current aperture is f4)
#stops per step is 4, #steps wider is 1(or more), #steps narrower is 2(or more)
Exposures taken at f1.4(limited to widest), f4, f16, f22(limited to narrowest)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Thank you for creating a forum thread for posting firmware update suggestions.

I've added a post there regarding aperture bracketing.
For the benefit (or dread :)) of those in this thread, I'll copy it in case they care to see it:

Product R5 and R6:

Request: Aperture bracketing (relative to current aperture chosen):

Menu choices:
Aperture bracket: on/off
#stops per step: 1:9
#steps wider: 0:9
#steps narrower: 0:9

Use example:
(current aperture is f4)
#stops per step is 1, #steps wider is 1, #steps narrower is 2
Exposures taken at f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8

Use example:
(lens aperture is f1.4 to f22)
(current aperture is f4)
#stops per step is 4, #steps wider is 1(or more), #steps narrower is 2(or more)
Exposures taken at f1.4(limited to widest), f4, f16, f22(limited to narrowest)
This sounds very useful, thanks for contributing to the thread!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
well with a 30 minute limit who is recording long clips when the camera basically cant do it without shutting off.
Well you wrote "most people", not "all people". And that reply of your was to a post about 20, not 30 minutes...30 is a lot longer than 20. You also wrote "these types of cameras". Some of these types do not have a limit.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I have never pre-ordered a camera until now to avoid the price premium, but this seems like a low risk no brainer and a time where that premium is worth being able to begin the gradual switch from EF to RF now. Canon has always had the right engineering philosophy, and I am currently pushing the envelope of what the 5D4 does in night timelapse and occasional light short film projects, so an upgrade makes sense for me. Have yet to see Canon make a truly terrible camera in their semi and pro ranges, so I am completely fairly certain I will love the R5.

That said, of course it will not make sense for everyone to buy the R5 or R6, but I'm shocked with all the whining when the camera is not even shipping yet. I am always for constructive critique, but this is getting out of hand!

[longwinded rant] After all this time, Canon finally completely nails a couple cameras along with the incredible RF line of lenses they are building, reclaiming their spot as an innovator and not just a solid camera and lens maker, yet all some people can focus on is complaining about completely unrealistic things. They cannot shoot 8K forever, or the camera was not custom designed for their exact needs of shooting only red painted giraffes on Tuesdays.

Do any of these people perpetually whining know even the tiniest thing about how a camera works inside, how a product comes together, how a company must make technical and market compromises as a BUSINESS to bring products to consumers? Do any of these people have the slightest concept of how the innards of their own cell phone works, or is most of society now just technologically spoiled and ignorant and thinks everything is just a few lines of code or the decision of some salesperson? Do people understand basic principles like voltage and switching rate of transistors in all the integrated circuits and ASICs translates to heat, and the more you do with the electronics, the hotter it gets? Do any of them know that sensor size just like glass size relates to light gathering ability, and that larger sensors are harder to stabilize and keep cool?

Canon has done as well as anyone could possibly do based upon basic physics. Name one other full frame MILC 8K camera with internal recording, with this good of a focus system, this good of stabilization, etc... I'll wait.... it's not even something to debate presently because no one else has even done it until now. Canon did it all in one body along with their well thought out ergonomics, menus, and the new and very solid RF lens lineup. Next year some brand will probably better the R5 when a new lower voltage and denser ASIC is available that can do the same job in half the space and heat.

Image processing evolves much like computer processors, getting gradually smaller, faster, and less power (less heat) every couple years due to the hard work of thousands of very smart people pushing the cutting edge of transistors and signal processing further. This truly is not rocket science, yet some of the spoiled commenters can never get it and seem to think they know better than Canon when they themselves are oblivious to even the most basic physics, electronics, and business concepts involved.

Seems no matter what, some certain types always end up blathering about the so called 'cripple hammer' and other baseless complaining. This is irrational and petty and shows lack of basic knowledge about sensors, integrated circuits, firmware, film making, etc. It shows a primary interest in being 'right' and loud and emotional.

People who understand technology (you DO NOT if you have ever used the 'crippled' term for any camera) know this 'crippling' is really engineering and market trade-off. Yes sometimes marketing pushes decisions for a product also, but usually a series of hard technical choices must be made to compromise on what can be done with the physical technology in a device.

I have never seen Canon totally mess up a camera or not offer value. They are the Toyota of the camera industry- slow, conservative, incredible products that just work with amazing reliability and ergonomics. You pay a slight price premium for the robustness and balance and reliability of a system- not the fribvolous features list so many people waste their lives comparing. Many competing brands flitter around and even roll out awkward cameras with an innovative feature to win the spec war, and somehow they are the darlings of the industry but Canon does it with a couple features and it is not enough!? That is the height of unfair bias.

Canon might indeed knowingly wait behind the pack while they make something amazing, but they periodically jump to the front again with class leading stuff like we are seeing now. More important to many of us, they make incredibly robust systems that work in the field, not spec sheets. I am shaking my head at all these types who jump brands every two years to have 'the best' that some youtube blogger told them is the best. People wanting to shoot 8K for ever, or pushing shadows 5 stops, or thinking more resolution is always better are demonstrating emotionalism, not rational thinking or valid uses for these tools. Oddly, I rarely see these loud complainers working around the limitations that ALL brands of gear have and producing much amazing content like those who know all tools have limitations. Its seems complaining is a full time job for some, no time to learn physics or how to get the bast out of a realistic camera.

The only thing significant I ever found personally limiting on a Canon camera was their poor shadow dynamic range when I wanted to preserve highlights in high dynamic scenes or shoot astro landscapes with clean shadows in foreground. You could not restore shadows without noise in these scenarios, but the difference to other brands was way over hyped, and there were workarounds. Big deal. Canon makes their own sensors so I had to wait about 2 years to level the field, and kept my excellent glass, and now they make amazing sensors not purchased from any competitor. I'd much rather trade being at the forefront of spec sheets for reliable systems that I can count on for years of trouble free service, and a tested system approach to great lenses working with great cameras and proven ergonomics.
[/longwinded rant]

TL;DR Ask yourself if you are one of these complainers bashing unshipped R5 and R6.... what is the real point? Either get the Canon and learn how to work around any short comings you think there are, or if you like another brand and think Canon sucks? Great- go and stay with what you love and more success to you! Whining to the internet is not going to change Canon. Better yet, if you care so much, engage Canon directly like an adult with a friendly email. Just do something, anything, constructive pleaaasee!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Under Recording Format in the specifications, there is a listing for "1.6 crop," that give dimensions for a file size at 17 MP.

1594700844020.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
It’s really not that surprising and if people understood how complicated lines of code and processing can create unexpected errors, this would make sense.

The solution to software complexity is to... stop adding functional complexity.

Quite apart from video, which probably took the majority of development time and cost, more functions are being pushed into the camera to 'keep up' with the competition. Even when those functions are done to a better standard in dedicated post-processing programs .

Checklist Marketing is the enemy of stable software development and raises the price for everyone.

Upvote 0