What’s next from Canon?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yep. And the 100-500L @ 2699 is a bargain given the 100-400L II was and still is $2100-2200 - since its debut in 2014. Given the IQ is what we hope that is.
I have bought 3 copies of the 100-400mm II, initially at £2200, and it now down to £1400 on the grey market. I have a 100-500mm on preliminary pre-order, although I really resent its price at £2899.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why won't IBIS be good enough for this particular focal length range? This lens would already be humongous and heavy.

Agree. How ever if I would have to spend 3+K on lens, i'd prefer one with IS and suffer with weight and size. I'd be 12+ year investment, after all.

Why 70-200 with IS came before non-is version. Salesnumbers prediction, i suppose.

However If canon ommits IS then thats fine too. Unique R lens would entice to move to R system.

Not counterparts. I do not understand this 85 mm madness. Are they hoping for lots of "this or that" comparision reviews

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I have bought 3 copies of the 100-400mm II, initially at £2200, and it now down to £1400 on the grey market. I have a 100-500mm on preliminary pre-order, although I really resent its price at £2899.

Hi Alan!

$2,299 US in 2014 is $2,500 US now. Add in 100mm and a new mount and there we go. Reasonable in my book, but maybe a tick high. It's all going to boil down to IQ for me but I can already see myself getting the lens and new 1.4.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
As for the rumor, I am hoping some of the higher quality EFM lenses show up. Mostly I would be interested in a higher quality general purpose zoom that has been rumored. A fairly minimal request, but I am all set with EF lenses, am still on the fence as to if I will get the R5 as I am very happy with the 5DIV. But, there is a definite need in my "small" kit for higher quality lenses.

I assume this is because of AF speed/tracking? Just curious what you have seen to make this conclusion? Everything I have seen indicates that the AF speed and precision is actually very good, surprisingly good, it seems.
I also get the impression that the AF speed and tracking close to being on par with the 1DX III which I find a bit surprising.
I'm finding the 1DX III excellent for things that take up a reasonable portion of the screen but small things you start to find the limits of the 20 MP sensor. You get spoilt by the ability to crop on the 5DIV and 5DSR. The camera is powerful enough to cope with a high MP sensor.
I wonder would they ever make a 50 MP version.
Maybe the 5R is that version. it will be interesting how the buffer is. On the 1DXIII its amazing. There is no lag at all.
The 5R launch has been odd in that they haven't allowed any independent reviews. It will be interesting what the neutral reviews are like.
The camera (other than the price) seems to be too good to be true. Overheating on 8K seems to be an issue but you'd be stopped by the size of your memory card first.
I'd suggest a dry ice adapter for the 5R or an adapter with one of those kiddies windmills in it.

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Isn't that what the Sigma 56mm is for?

I once bought a brand spanking new Sigma 17-55/2.8 OS that could not focus to infinity. I live in a country with no Sigma authorized repair shops, so I had to disassemble the lens myself to remove a shimmy out of the focusing group so that it could do infinity. Then I found out that the lens was not well centered and had low contrast. Once bitten, twice shy. I much prefer original Canon lenses, never had any issues with them, and Canon has a very strong local presence.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I kinda explained why... In terms of ROI, it's an easy win. And let's not assume everybody is pleased with the R5. I'm not. And there are many more people involved in EF lenses.

Just because the parts all exist separately doesn't mean they can bring them together in a body at a reasonable cost. There is no mirror box part short of the 1DX3 that supports the rates the 5D has. We have no idea how expensive the "grid" PDAF sensor from that camera is, how much it relies on the more expensive RGB metering sensor, etc. These "already done" parts

You can't just assume ROI. And 5D4s didn't have to compete with a mirrorless camera. Is there production volume to support a 5D5 in a world where it's competing with an R5? Other considerations, assume the R5 is going to sell at capacity for 6 months. Where would canon rather put their supply-limited sensors? The R5 is pushing a new lens mount, which is strategically important.

Personally I'd love to see canon release:
- 5D5
- R5s (studio, high MP)
- R5c (active cooling, Dual CFexpress, more codec support, full size HDMI)
- Some crop/M cameras that have the new "Digic x" driven feature set
- An R1!

I think we'd all love to see Canon release a canon for ever use, but we're in a shrinking market, heavily supply constraint, with potential huge economic headwinds. You can't just say "The ROI is there!" even if we all want it to be the case.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Is anyone concerned that mirrorless camera wont be as rugged as their DSLR counterparts? I know 1DX3 is a tank but even 5DIV level.

I'm not. My EOS-R has been a rock and it goes everywhere.

This reviewer says the R5 is as solid as anything he's ever held in his hand.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
It isn't the same sensor. It's a variation and that could mean a lot of things. I keep reading people say 'it's the same' but I can't imagine 'the same' sensor in a $6500 camera being dropped part and parcel into a $2400 offering.

Either way - I've done 20MP and it's too damn small. So there's that.

Honestly re-using the sensor (or a "variant") could bring overall costs down since it's already developed. The sensor on those cameras is not usually as much of a headline features as the speed of the mirrorbox/shutter, AF performance and general tank-like build.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
We are getting 1.8 in that range. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to carry 3 excellent 50mm primes, 2 with IS.

Canon could carry an f/1.4 IS nano-USM in place of the f/1.8.

And at one time, Canon had four different EF 50mm lenses.

the f/1.8 I'm sure will be great and reasonably sized;

Neither the EF 50mm f/1.4 nor f/1.8 are great. The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art takes that spot.

there's not much 2/3 of a stop gives you that justifies having a "middle" option IMO.

In contrast to having an EF 50mm f/1.2 USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, and 50mm f/2.5 Macro?

Canon can make a good 35mm f/2 IS USM, a good old EF 85mm f/1.8, a brand new spanking EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM, but just has to skip upgrading the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM to something that competes with either the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art or Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC, then miss the mark again in the RF mount.

Upvote 0
I'd be surprised and disappointed if Canon doesn't update the M50 this year, and also release at least two new EF-M lenses. The M50 has been the best selling mirrorless camera in Japan for months; it has also been the best selling mirrorless camera on Amazon U.S. for months. Therefore it is likely the best selling Canon camera, period. Canon must see the potential for more lens sales in this system and an updated model.
I recently tried the M50 for the first time as a long time multiple Rebel series user. I've also used some Olympus mirrorless cameras. The reason for the M50's popularity was immediately apparent. I was blown away by the M50 focusing for sports. I expected that to be a weakness, but instead it delivered fast frame rates with frame after frame in perfect focus. The EVF is key for photographing action. I knew the M50 was a vlogging favorite, but as a photography tool, it is excellent. The smaller size versus even the Canon RP is a big factor for people who are increasingly deciding between carrying a camera or just their smartphone.
I agree that updating the sensor to the latest canon apc 32MP, adding IBIS, dual pixel with 4k and no crop, and adding one more dial for easier adjustment of settings would be ideal.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Why three copies of the 100-400mm II Alan?
I have one and its a good lens but I'm not sure its much better than Sigma's or Tamrons lens competitor 150-600mm lens.
It's a flexible lens but I thought overpriced at its original price.
Is the R5 your first venture into mirrorless or do you have the R/RP
I'll be very interesting in real reviews of the R5 and the 100-500mm. Every mp and mm matters when it comes to birds.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Forgive my ignorance, but what is CPW?
Canon Price Watch, they are a way that genuine Canon dealers can somewhat circumvent Canon's minimum advertised price policy. They are 100% legitimate I have bought $10,000's of gear via them, indeed I won't buy any Canon gear without getting a quote from them first. Gordon is super fast with his follow up emails and accurate and professional, can't recommend them highly enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I wouldn't understand why Canon wouldn't release a 5D Mark V.

90% of the job is done.

Body and shape : just re-use the Mark IV, it's perfect
Sensor and DIGIC : just re-use the R5
AF : just re-use the AF of the 1D X III or a "lighter" version of it

Done.

I'd gladly buy such a camera. Throw at it something unique such as a feature to get rid of this AF micro-adjustment thingy and it's a dream come true.

It is easier said than done :) Regrdless if Canon thinks there is a market for 5D5 I am sure they will make one with the same 45MP sensor.

Upvote 0