What’s next from Canon?

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
You can never be superior to an OVF, by definition.
That’s why use overhead projectors and transparencies and not electronic
Way to just make stuff up.

DSLRs still constitute a huge share of the market.There will not be a 100% migration to mirrorless in a single generation, if ever.

Canon will not abandon half or more of the full frame market, especially in these highly competitive times when every manufacturer is fighting to hold on to market share.

1. There is never a 100% of anything anywhere, ever, so your bold statement has zero meaning. There has not been a 100% migration away from autofocus, or from film, or from view cameras, or from wet glass plates. Which is irrelevant to the question at hand.
2. A "single generation" in the digital camera world is a couple years, in which case I agree with even the implication that flippy mirrors won't be obsolete or entirely out of production in a few years. Or did you mean a 20-year human generation?

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
You can never be superior to an OVF, by definition.

Completely wrong. OVF doesn't show you the image you will ultimately get in any situation. I doesn't show you DOF for big apertures. It's too dim at small apertures. The only advantage it has over a properly implemented EVF is the battery savings, lack of delay, and other "experiential" elements of analog vs. digital. But for the act of composing a photograph, EVF is far better.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I’d like to see more smaller, less expensive lenses, not super fast or bullet-proof but with decent optics, to pair with my RP.
While waiting for RF lenses, there are plenty of EF lenses that will work well with an adapter. Also, there are some good values available in the used EF market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Completely wrong. OVF doesn't show you the image you will ultimately get in any situation. I doesn't show you DOF for big apertures. It's too dim at small apertures. The only advantage it has over a properly implemented EVF is the battery savings, lack of delay, and other "experiential" elements of analog vs. digital. But for the act of composing a photograph, EVF is far better.
That’s three advantages you mentioned not the only one :)

• Haha
Upvote 0
What is it exactly that you see in a A7R4 that you don't see in an existing Canon body? And does the price differentiator make sense when you factor in new batteries, lenses, etc? Honestly curious. Because I cannot for the life of me see any logic to what you posted.
I agree with your statement, but I'll use it as a jump off point - one really noticeable difference between my 5DIV and a friends a7R3 was the low light exposure simulation. I'm almost always using the back screen anyway and on a tripod, and I will say that my friend's a7R3, in very low light, could see a heck of a lot more in exposure simulation than my 5DIV could see. It was enough that the camera's exposure simulation would see more than my eye could see - made composing in the dark a fair bit easier. That was really the only thing I found myself wishing I had. Definitely not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have in the R5!

Upvote 0
What I see in the OVF is shown in gamma 1.0 by definition, as well as the rest of the world (shown though passive optical paths, if we disregard the effects of flare).

The DR compression ("gamma") in the EVF can be applied, but then one would lose the EVF's pseudo-WYSIWYG functionality.

I think the sensor 'sees' in gamma 1.0, that is linear perception, and the human eyes are non-linear (gamma 1/2.2 or around).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Sony experts whom I respect rave about the 24 Mpx FF A9II for its spectacular AF for birds in flight, but moan about its lack of reach compared with the A7RIII/IV series. Unless the R6 has the AF capabilities of a Sony A9, it will be of limited use for BIF with much narrower and longer lenses because you need fast shutter speeds and, in my case but not for the more agile, a reasonable field of view to keep faster flying birds in frame. An R5 in crop mode will be a very expensive replacement for the 7DII, but not the R6 as a cheaper one, fine FF camera that it is.

I didn't realise you were talking specifically about birds in flight. I would have thought "reach" was less of an issue in that subgenre (too narrow a field of view being more of a challenge in tracking as you say).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I think the sensor 'sees' in gamma 1.0, that is linear perception, and the human eyes are non-linear (gamma 1/2.2 or around).
The brightness perception of humans in the normal light range is logarithmic (Weber's law), which means it preserves the apparent contrast of diffuse surfaces no matter what the intensity of the illumination is.

It's somewhat different in very low light due to quantum effects.

Still, I don't see what it have to do with OVF vs. EVF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
The sales of interchangeable lens cameras are still higher than historical norms.

View attachment 191328

This first chart only goes to 2014 because it is from a 2015 article but nicely illustrates the historical market.

This second link gives later figures and more breakdown.

That's in units sold, and ignoring smartphones, levels have returned to those of the mid-nineties, the market is shrinking, and that's in face of population growth. I don't envy camera manufacturers' position.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm grouping them into the same bucket of "it's not electronic". They have no benefits for photo composition, which is the point of a viewfinder.
An excessive latency of EVF does affect composition I mean, you literary miss shots shooting fast action due to slow EVF. Example : Canon R. Not to kick start an argument, of course. Just pointing out that there are other benefits: when shooting with strobes for example.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There's a whole Cine line of cameras from Canon, why can't film makers just buy those and leave our photographic cameras alone.
It isn’t film makers making the cameras. On top of that, people can’t all afford a Cine camera. Canon is supplying two markets with one machine. Very cost effective for all.

Upvote 0