Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A couple of my favourite reviewers have finished their review of the Canon EOS R6. Both Chris and Jordan came away quite impressed by the new mirrorless offering from Canon.
From DPReview:
The EOS R6 promises to be the full-frame mirrorless camera from Canon that many have been waiting for. We put it through the wringer to find out. Filmed on a pre-production Canon EOS R5. See full resolution sample photos from this episode here.
Preorder the Canon EOS R6

Canon EOS R6 Body $2499
Canon EOS R6 w/24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM $2799...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
To be sincere, I am a little surprised that they spent so much time talking about how good the R6 is. DP review don't normally flatter Canon cameras bur this time they did. They must have been extra-ordinarily impressed.

Reviewers always pull for the 'porridge is just right', 'best stuff of a top end body in a competitive price' sort of rig. Folks gushed over the D750 and A7 III this way.

I am expecting the R5 to get a much tougher working over. They could build the case that Canon has really launched two R6 bodies -- it's just that one comes with 45 MP/8K upgrade inside for a $1400 upcharge, and that the upcharge/functionality isn't truly needed.

- A

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
To be sincere, I am a little surprised that they spent so much time talking about how good the R6 is. DP review don't normally flatter Canon cameras bur this time they did. They must have been extra-ordinarily impressed.

And I'm not surprised at all. What have reviewers always said about Canon bodies since the 5D3 dropped?
  • Bang for buck is not there
  • It's not a pro camera with a single card slot
  • Dynamic range lacking
  • Canon nerfs throughout the feature set
  • Technology! Where the hell is IBIS, Eye AF, etc.
And the R6 said 'Well here you go.' :cool:

- A

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I think one clarification is missing from Canon: how well does the IBIS work with EF lenses? (or fully manual lenses, but let's not go into that, they want to sell Canon lenses primarily)

They have given stabilisation ratings for all the RF lenses (the f/11 DO RF-mount primes will not work in conjunction with IBIS due to technical reasons, so only providing 5 or 4 stops in lens stabilisation)
Will they provide the same data for their EF lenses?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
That is because it was Chris and Jordan. I can always count on them for an unbiased review.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Reviewers always pull for the 'porridge is just right', 'best stuff of a top end body in a competitive price' sort of rig. Folks gushed over the D750 and A7 III this way.
DPR doesn't. This really is a way out-of-character Canon review for DPR.

Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019

I am expecting the R5 to get a much tougher working over. They could build the case that Canon has really launched two R6 bodies -- it's just that one comes with 45 MP/8K upgrade inside for a $1400 upcharge, and that the upcharge/functionality isn't truly needed.

- A

Great points you have there, I guess that is why it was difficult deciding which one to go with. I however decided to go with the R5 despite the price increase because I want a more durable body and the higher megapixel count. I also want the 8K, so that I can create still grabs from hard to catch situations.

• Love
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020

- A
In my view, the R5 is the ultimate hybrid camera to this point in time—which includes the to-be-released Sony A7SIII. The R5 has compelling video formats (4K DCI 120fps 10-bit) a 45mp sensor, outstanding IBIS, great ergonomics and class leading AF. The R6 is NOT an R5!

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I think one clarification is missing from Canon: how well does the IBIS work with EF lenses? (or fully manual lenses, but let's not go into that, they want to sell Canon lenses primarily)

They have given stabilisation ratings for all the RF lenses (the f/11 DO RF-mount primes will not work in conjunction with IBIS due to technical reasons, so only providing 5 or 4 stops in lens stabilisation)
Will they provide the same data for their EF lenses?
Agreed! I'm anxious to know what to expect from my EF lenses...most of which do not have IS. I'm sure they'll publish this information at some point, but I'd like it sooner than later.

Upvote 0