There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I think we can all appreciate that Canon Rumors' success rate with rumors recently has been very high. If it's listed as a CR2 then that's the highest level of rumor below "FACT".

You may *hope* than the 5D5 is happening, but I'd trust CR on this one.

Fortunately your current DSLRs will continue to work fine if you don't want to switch to mirrorless. As far as I know Canon are still building 5DIVs if you need a new one.

I thought there were CR3's too?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Agreed, there is still life left in EF mount, since they already took the investment on the R5 sensor and X processor, autofocus module in 1Dx etc there would only be a very small incremental cost to produce a MkV

You make a lot of assumptions there about manufacturing an actual consumer product that are not true. Yes, you could see some cost savings in R&D by making a MK V reuse some R5 components vs. designing and producing new ones, but it's not as simple as swapping out parts in assembly...even if it was, the new body would still need to go through the various global certification processes. Also, the existence of such a camera would slow down the sales of both new bodies and all RF glass. The limitations of the R5 as compared to the MK IV are so minimal, there are no realistic justifications for making the other body.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I guess they could still make some crazy 'frankencamera' with an RF-mount, where you can either have a mirror box EF-mount adapter with an optical finder and the separate AF sensor, or just an electronic viewfinder.
Probably too complicated, although Hasselblad still makes modular cameras, like CFV II 50C digital back and the 907X

canon-mirror-box-ii-200mm-lens_1_dd5968fe4efa22f888303f99458bba75.jpg

Upvote 0
Canon (and Nikon) just did the "Wait for it... wait for it...." strategy. Everyone was rushing their mirrorless products while these guys started a deep R&D to launch late and with godly specs, at least Canon. 1DX mk3 will be the last PRO DSLR in my opinion, and seeing this it's the death of any pro level market. I guess Rebels still have their market for a while. XXD will be replaced with a new RF APS-C un a very near future. No one likes changes but in the end everyone's gets used to them. Mirrorless is the present and future.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon (and Nikon) just did the "Wait for it... wait for it...." strategy. Everyone was rushing their mirrorless products while these guys started a deep R&D to launch late and with godly specs, at least Canon. 1DX mk3 will be the last PRO DSLR in my opinion, and seeing this it's the death of any pro level market. I guess Rebels still have their market for a while. XXD will be replaced with a new RF APS-C un a very near future. No one likes changes but in the end everyone's gets used to them. Mirrorless is the present and future.
Mirrorless is the present and future for the mass market. EVF’s are a long way from replacing the abilities of OVF’s and until they can there will still be an active DSLR user base.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
And you are providing more weight to your own opinion (which appears to be wishful thinking), with no direct knowledge or access to those who do, than those of this site. That's ridiculous.
I did not state an opinion, but, yes I do give a lot of weight to my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon must have an absolute crap-ton of confidence in the R5/R6 then. Any big moves with a cornerstone product like the 5D series is going to be done at the risk of polarizing current users.

Some will be excited for the change, some will begrudgingly transition, while others will not be quite ready to transition and maybe hold on to their old gear, or consider a different product. Canon appears to be gambling that the R5 will bring in more people than the 5D would, and that is a tall order considering the 5D has been such a key line for professional users.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but ceasing production of the 5D series in favour of a new line with a very familiar feel but different foundation may be a watershed moment for Canon. Now I really want to try one.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Agreed, there is still life left in EF mount, since they already took the investment on the R5 sensor and X processor, autofocus module in 1Dx etc there would only be a very small incremental cost to produce a MkV
But in a tighter market, selling fewer cameras, that incremental cost is probably the entire profit margin of the R5.

If you're Canon, what secures your future better. Producing two cameras that are functionally the same spec wise, but in different bodies, requiring two production and assembly lines or the efficiencies of scale of just one? Especially when that one product pushes people to purchase new lenses as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0