IBIS is likely coming to the EOS M lineup [CR2]

Because it's compact and it sells way more than the RF mount cameras right now.

Your APS-C lenses in the past weren't compatible with full frame DSLRs when you upgraded, so nothing really new here. EF-M mount is here to stay because it's a different market to the R. I use both systems and have never once thought "I wish I could use my EF-M lenses on my R body!"

Yeah and the numbers agree on this the M50 is Canon's best selling mirrorless camera for Canon and on the market period right now at least according to Amazon.

The market saids there's room to separate those that want the R and those that want the M and there's also people who have both like you and me. The M50 has been one of the top choices for vlogging and 1-person content production probably until the Sony ZV-1 is out and I'd say its still a good choice especially for those who want to be able to change lenses as oppose to the ZV-1. The M50 is basically like a swiss army knife in a small compact package and good price point that hits a lot of users.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
M5

IBIS

Same sensor as my M6ii

Better battery life

Day 1 purchase.

The M5 is a far better body than the M6 imho so if they beef up the sealing and grip, yeah, it would be a good candidate for the crop folx missing the 7 series successor. Not a replacement nor a betterment but it could placate them.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Just let M die ;p!

not one nice lens... and three different mounts at the same time is garbage... look at Sony and Nikon! They should go the way like before with EF(S).

Canons M line has/had a heavy slow development... no IBIS until now, slow lenses etc.
Want to see a m6II with dual card, nice weather sealing in a aps-c pro body WITH evf in body!
How much development need is there for a system aimed squarely at people who want a small but capable camera most of whom are happy with and will only ever buy the zoom lens it comes with? The 22 prime is a great lens, as is the 28 macro, the 32mm f1.4 and the 11-22 zoom.

All cameras don’t have to be your next camera and it seems Canon know what they are doing because the EF-M system is the best selling MILC system on the planet.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
How much development need is there for a system aimed squarely at people who want a small but capable camera most of whom are happy with and will only ever buy the zoom lens it comes with? The 22 prime is a great lens, as is the 28 macro, the 32mm f1.4 and the 11-22 zoom.

All cameras don’t have to be your next camera and it seems Canon know what they are doing because the EF-M system is the best selling MILC system on the planet.

Indeed. If they should let something die...it'd be the RFs. And I really don't want them to do that!

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
The M5 is a far better body than the M6 imho so if they beef up the sealing and grip, yeah, it would be a good candidate for the crop folx missing the 7 series successor. Not a replacement nor a betterment but it could placate them.

Maybe it has the better body, but I still prefer the M6. I'm getting the camera for the smaller size, and so I prefer the smaller version. If I need more, that's what my DSLR's (and soon R5) are for. I hope Canon continues to make both form factors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Maybe it has the better body, but I still prefer the M6. I'm getting the camera for the smaller size, and so I prefer the smaller version. If I need more, that's what my DSLR's (and soon R5) are for. I hope Canon continues to make both form factors.

Couldn't agree more. The M6 is about as large as I'd tolerate for an M-series APS-C camera. As the bulk increases beyond that I may as well grab the DSLR (or RP as of recently).

In fact, part of me wonders whether to downsize it to an M200 as the RP is taking over some of my "compact camera uses" (such as everyday walkaround shooting) so to speak. The FF IQ just can't be beat, especially in low light. But at the end of the day, I still need something that can pass as a "P&S" to take into select concert/stadium venues, etc. and this is where the M series still holds relevance for me.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
The conversation needs to start with better EFm lenses.
What is missing that would be routinely needed by the typical market for M series cameras? I ask because most niche scenarios or pro scenarios are better covered by an EF->EF-M adapter as it stands.

Upvote 0
The initial revision was apparently easy to loosen as it was designed for the M5, the second revision, which I have

The loosening happens when it gets attached to a tripod or something similar. I think the bottom flexes a bit which loosens the screw. While the cage can kinda sorta hold the M5, if the thread is tightened it would probably break something in the camera. The M5's top grip side is a lot wider than the M50. I don't know why store listings had it as compatible with the M5.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
The loosening happens when it gets attached to a tripod or something similar. I think the bottom flexes a bit which loosens the screw. While the cage can kinda sorta hold the M5, if the thread is tightened it would probably break something in the camera. The M5's top grip side is a lot wider than the M50. I don't know why store listings had it as compatible with the M5.
Question: Why would someone use a screw in tripod when the Smallrig is by default Arca-Swiss compatible? I threw a compatible AS plate on my monopod and it works perfectly.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
What is missing that would be routinely needed by the typical market for M series cameras? I ask because most niche scenarios or pro scenarios are better covered by an EF->EF-M adapter as it stands.
I would start with a better standard zoom, both IQ and faster aperture.
Disagree on the EF to EFm adapter. It’s good it works, I use it all the time with telephoto lenses but find it awkward with general purpose zooms.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I would start with a better standard zoom, both IQ and faster aperture.
Disagree on the EF to EFm adapter. It’s good it works, I use it all the time with telephoto lenses but find it awkward with general purpose zooms.
Fair enough, I don't really use Zooms for much. I bought the 55-200 first after getting the camera but it's turned out that 1) most of my pictures are events or street style, and 2) I am enjoying primes a lot more. So my 15-45 & 55-200 I rarely even have with me. I most commonly take out the Sigma 16mm and the Canon 32mm (or the EF 50 f/1.4 with Viltrox speedbooster) when I'm out. If I were doing nature photography I'd probably use zooms more though.

How is the 18-150? I've wondered for a while if that would be a way to simplify the 15-45/55-200 into a single lens.

Upvote 0
Question: Why would someone use a screw in tripod when the Smallrig is by default Arca-Swiss compatible? I threw a compatible AS plate on my monopod and it works perfectly.

I do have a few of that style of mount as plates that attach to a tripod head, but currently do not have any dedicated tripods with that connection type. I don't use them all of the time. One setup I use for filming videos at a camera shop uses a table top tripod with the cage and an LED light. I connect the cage directly to the tripod. I don't have a reason to use an arca-swiss plate between the two. That generally works okay and if it loosens I can easily fix it. I guess I should have also said it does occasionally loosen over time from pressure on the camera grip side, at least the one I have (version 1 preorder). I still use it but mine is definitely flawed. Some of the smallrig designs hook into the strap lugs. Had the M50 one done that I think it would have helped a lot.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I do have a few of that style of mount as plates that attach to a tripod head, but currently do not have any dedicated tripods with that connection type. I don't use them all of the time. One setup I use for filming videos at a camera shop uses a table top tripod with the cage and an LED light. I connect the cage directly to the tripod. I don't have a reason to use an arca-swiss plate between the two. That generally works okay and if it loosens I can easily fix it. I guess I should have also said it does occasionally loosen over time from pressure on the camera grip side, at least the one I have (version 1 preorder). I still use it but mine is definitely flawed. Some of the smallrig designs hook into the strap lugs. Had the M50 one done that I think it would have helped a lot.
Nice! Thanks for responding. I'm not trying to be combative or doubt anyone's experience, I'm only a year and a half into this and am learning mostly by hearing how others do things. There is rarely any active discussion on the M line so I'm taking advantage. ;p

Upvote 0