R5 User manuals are up....

Based on some google translate-ing, the focal length of fully manual lenses can be entered manually for IBIS purposes. there was some concern in Fred Miranda forums that this wasn’t going to be possible for the R6 for some reason.

Also looks like speedlite AF assist beams can be used (don’t think this was possible for the Eos R).

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
... and there is a list of which EF lenses are supported for 12 FPS continuous shooting. Do the 1d cameras have a list like this? Some oldies like the 135mm f/2 aren’t on the list.
I watched a video yesterday of continuous shooting on the R5 of what looked like the 135mm f/2. I was surprised at how slow it was. Definitely nowhere near 12fps (more like 2fps). Why is that? Does it have something to do with old AF motors or something?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Such a slow process with g translate, should try and break up the PDF and upload sections. So I think it Looks like there are 2 different high speed continuous shooting modes. The “+” mode does 12 FPS but only some EF lenses are supported (so bad news for third party I am guessing?). Otherwise, the other mode does 6 FPS (fully mechanical) and 8fps (electronic first curtain).

The 12 FPS also come with a bunch of conditions/ factors, like battery level (over 60%), temp, over 1/1000th sec and more.

The Eos R manual came out for all to see basically when it was announced and available for preorder. It made me a bit cautious that the same was not the case for the RF.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
It is really annoying how tight-fisted they're being about everything regarding these releases. I could be using this wait time to get familiar with the functions of this camera if the manual was readily available, but for some reason they've enjoyed dragging this out for as long as possible at a time when good news is such a scarce commodity.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Such a slow process with g translate, should try and break up the PDF and upload sections. So I think it Looks like there are 2 different high speed continuous shooting modes. The “+” mode does 12 FPS but only some EF lenses are supported (so bad news for third party I am guessing?). Otherwise, the other mode does 6 FPS (fully mechanical) and 8fps (electronic first curtain).

The 12 FPS also come with a bunch of conditions/ factors, like battery level (over 60%), temp, over 1/1000th sec and more.

The Eos R manual came out for all to see basically when it was announced and available for preorder. It made me a bit cautious that the same was not the case for the RF.

does that mean that if battery level drops below 60%, R5 will “slowdown“ to 6FPS instead?
and if my shutter speed is slower than 1/1000s, then....?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
One of the warnings translated from Russian: "It is forbidden to look at the screen or through the viewfinder for a long time. It may cause the same symptoms as motion sickness. If it happens, stop using the device immediately and get some rest"
Запрещается долго смотреть на экран или через видоискатель.Это может вызвать такие же симптомы, как при укачивании. В таком случае немедленно прекратите эксплуатацию изделия и, прежде чем возобновить ее, отдохните некоторое время.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Lotta asterisks with this camera. Going to be an expensive purchase if I need to replace the 70-200 II!
Since the 70-200 III is included, I'm almost entirely confident that includes the 70-200 II. They're functionally the exact same lens, and even the old 600 II is included in the list, so I highly doubt it was anything to do with new tech, but instead just that the III is the newest 70-200.

Upvote 0
One of the warnings translated from Russian: "It is forbidden to look at the screen or through the viewfinder for a long time. It may cause the same symptoms as motion sickness. If it happens, stop using the device immediately and get some rest"
Запрещается долго смотреть на экран или через видоискатель.Это может вызвать такие же симптомы, как при укачивании. В таком случае немедленно прекратите эксплуатацию изделия и, прежде чем возобновить ее, отдохните некоторое время.
Or, take a Dramamine, and continue shooting. :sick:

• Haha
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Since the 70-200 III is included, I'm almost entirely confident that includes the 70-200 II. They're functionally the exact same lens, and even the old 600 II is included in the list, so I highly doubt it was anything to do with new tech, but instead just that the III is the newest 70-200.

That's a $2699 assumption, though. You could also say that given how few upgrades the III had over the II, maybe it really just was a quiet update to increase compatibility with the R series as they knew the II wouldn't work as well.

I haven't been planning on moving any of my EF lenses to RF, and instead add new focal lengths I don't have in my kit first. (100-500, eventually a UWA zoom) and then slowly re-buy as prices fall. Given the resale on a 70-200 II is like $800, that's a huge difference for very little added functionality.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
That's a $2699 assumption, though. You could also say that given how few upgrades the III had over the II, maybe it really just was a quiet update to increase compatibility with the R series as they knew the II wouldn't work as well.

I haven't been planning on moving any of my EF lenses to RF, and instead add new focal lengths I don't have in my kit first. (100-500, eventually a UWA zoom) and then slowly re-buy as prices fall. Given the resale on a 70-200 II is like $800, that's a huge difference for very little added functionality.
The 70-200 II is on the list for both 12 and 20 fps. So is the 135/2 that someone mentioned earlier.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

The 2 'fast' shooting modes, Hi and Hi+, each have 3 modes:

Hi+
  1. 'Green', 12fps: Enough battery left, high enough shutter speed, no wifi, no anti-flicker, small f-stop with compatible lenses
  2. 'White', 9fps
  3. 'Blinking', 7fps
Hi, EFCS
  1. 'Green', 8fps
  2. 'White', 6fps
  3. 'Blinking', 5fps
The manual says it will drop down in speed depending on battery life, shutter speed, AF mode, ambient temperature, anti-flicker, ambient light, use of flash, shutter speed and aperture.

In various interviews over the past years Canon has implied that the limiting factor in the lens is the speed of the apterture blades. If you shoot stopped down the camera will open up the aperture between each shot to do AF.

Here is a screenshot of the manual encrypted in Dutch:

Schermafbeelding 2020-07-26 om 07.51.42.png

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I have a bunch of lenses, including the Canon EF 70-300mm L (USM IS) and the Canon EF 100mm L f/2.8 macro IS USM.

I'm somewhat surprised to see both of these in the 1st list (12fps w mechanical shutter) , but NOT in the 2nd list.. because in the 2nd list (20fps w electronic shutter), because:
1) the 70-300mm II (nano) USM and the 70-300mm DO show up in the 2nd list
(and the 100-400mm L v1 is in the 2nd list, but not in the first, but the 100-400mm L v2 is in the 1st list but not the second)
2) the older 100mm f/2.8 macro USM (non L) is also in the 2nd list, but not in the first

This leads me to wonder whether there is a 'lost in translation' aspect to the google (Chrome) translations of the following parts:
"A lens that does not easily reduce continuous shooting speeds up to approx. 20 shots/sec.
The following is a list of lenses with a maximum continuous shooting speed of approx. 20 fps that is unlikely to slow down (as of July 2020)."

Hmmmm... I won't necessarily need >12fps that often, and I expect to rely on mechanical shutter more than electronic, but still....

If anyone can shed some more light on this (now or in the future) - I would be VERY keen to hear....

PJ

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
12 FPS mode is available for compatible RF and EF lenses shooting wide open only. example rf 70-200/2.8 @ F2.8 - supported @ 12 FPS, @F4.0 - unsupported at @ 12 FPS
1/1000s shutter speed limit ( in my understanding, so far): example: 1/2000s - supported @12FPS, 1/500s - unsupported @ 12FPS

p.s. EF 400/2.8 IS II L - unsupported @12 FPS - a what? o_O

I am on the market (Australia) for a nice 400/2.8 II.. I have literary nearly fell of a highchair reading this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0