Patent: Active cooling adapter for the RF mount

Just noticed: the patent drawing shows the airflow going to two or three locations: the sensor, and presumably the CPU. And a third location. Those two parts, plus the CF Express card interface will be the places throwing the most heat.

These are patent drawings, so they are meant to be simplified to some extent to cover a broad claim, but the drawings suggest that this is forced air directly to the components, rather than heat pipes, etc.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Why they just don't lead the heat to the bottom of the camera plate, where some hybrid grip could take over? It could contain less of a battery, plus cooling elements ...

Actually, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago... heatpipe to bottom, w/ custom grip to wisk heat away from there.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Why they just don't lead the heat to the bottom of the camera plate, where some hybrid grip could take over? It could contain less of a battery, plus cooling elements ...

I'm surprised people think Canon engineers have not already worked this from many angles.

Heat pipe design is complex when there is plenty of room, let alone in a tiny weather sealed body with a sensor mounted on a floating IBIS frame.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
it sounds like pretty lame to me... with that air turbulent flow of air your sensor will get tons of dust per se, and then if it flows quick enough or in poorer weather with some fine particles you likely kill off your camera. plus it drains battery which the MILC don't have much on tab anyway, not to say just as a dozen of others said here you kills off the better RF lens being used for the camera to take great video
Do we know how this works? Is it a fan or some other active tech that we don't know about? Does it have it's own power supply?

Upvote 0
An adapter is fine, but Canon should have designed this from the ground up for video.

Canon should have made the R5 far bigger so it could handle the heat better.
They should have included fans and a far bigger heatsink. While they were making it bigger to better handle the heat, they could have put in built in NDs to make life more convenient for the video shooter.
Oh and with a bigger body to handle the heat better, they could have also put more buttons on the body so that you could change key video settings without having to go in to the menu i.e. dedicated buttons for ISO / shutter / FPS / peaking / zebras etc.
With a bigger body they could have also then had full size HDMI and better audio input abilities e.g. dual XLRs and on-body control for the audio levels etc.
With a bigger body, they could also probably have managed to come up with a solution for swapping out lens mounts easily so YouTuber bloggers could switch between EF and PL mounts for their Vlogs.
Finally they could have had a bigger screen and also larger EVF to make working in video far easier. In fact, they probably just should have removed all the photography features and weather-sealing of the R5 because it's clearly just compromising the video side of the camera.

If only such a camera existed in Canon's range for people that want to do video....
they do, its call c300iii c500ii

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
I am unsurprised, but never the less disappointed that this is a thing, and that it's still being debated.

I look forward to this mount selling in tiny amounts. Very few people will want or need it in the real world - it's a solution to an imagined problem. I am predicting all of this heat nonsense has no bearing on pre-orders or sales numbers anyway. Do we have any idea on those, by the way?

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This is only a patent, not a product so far. Also, if they make one for RF glass, it will change the distance of the lens to the sensor, and I'm not sure that is possible or not.

While I guess it would be nice to have this cooling adapter one day, the R5 is a phenomenal and competitively priced stills camera with bonus video features as it stands today.
its not meant to leave on the camera. It gets removed obviously. You mount the adapter well before the camera reaches its threshold for a certain time, remove it, continue recording.

Upvote 0
An adapter is fine, but Canon should have designed this from the ground up for video.

Canon should have made the R5 far bigger so it could handle the heat better.
They should have included fans and a far bigger heatsink. While they were making it bigger to better handle the heat, they could have put in built in NDs to make life more convenient for the video shooter.
Oh and with a bigger body to handle the heat better, they could have also put more buttons on the body so that you could change key video settings without having to go in to the menu i.e. dedicated buttons for ISO / shutter / FPS / peaking / zebras etc.
With a bigger body they could have also then had full size HDMI and better audio input abilities e.g. dual XLRs and on-body control for the audio levels etc.
With a bigger body, they could also probably have managed to come up with a solution for swapping out lens mounts easily so YouTuber bloggers could switch between EF and PL mounts for their Vlogs.
Finally they could have had a bigger screen and also larger EVF to make working in video far easier. In fact, they probably just should have removed all the photography features and weather-sealing of the R5 because it's clearly just compromising the video side of the camera.

If only such a camera existed in Canon's range for people that want to do video....

We asked for uncropped 4K in a hybrid camera and better focusing and weather sealing and improved dynamic range and lower noise. Canon answered.

There is a bigger body: the cine line of cameras. A Swiss Army knife needs to be portable as well. Canon has pushed the limit of physics with this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0