Canon Patent Application: Grip based active cooling

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released two patent applications going into detail about using a grip as an active cooling device for our overworked and overheating camera systems. I’ve long thought that Canon could do a lot more with grips than add a few batteries and call it a day – cooling certainly fits into the mold of

See full article...

Even though I fully understand that this patent is no joke it makes me feel like 1st of April.

I hope this fulfills some videographers dreams.
The Aliexpress commentary got you didn't it? ;)

In all seriousness, there has been so many different ways that canon as attempted heat management, this actually looks like one of the more complete and elegant solutions

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Noooo! Gez, then you start to look, if other companies can, why Canon can't? Just do it smaller, in body, and lightweight.
After the 40s everything you wish is small and lightweight.

But***
Looking at the details of the photos, I think the next generation of cameras will come with passive cooling, and you can add a grip for active cooling.

Upvote 0
I wonder how much if any extra power would be available for the camera and how much would be for the cooling system itself.
small laptop styled fans are around 1-2 watts of power draw
Basically, they have implemented this guy's advice after modifying his R5
i think their solution is a tad bit more portable than the water cooled one :p but yes, what he's saying is almost what they have implemented, except they are using air ducts.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
i think their solution is a tad bit more portable than the water cooled one :p but yes, what he's saying is almost what they have implemented, except they are using air ducts.
Watch the second part of video, it ended up not being water cooled like in the title.
In fact, Kolari Vision's R5 cooling kit is basically just copying the original design he created and Canon is looking to do the same.
If the body is designed like what he said in the end, then the optional grip will be very effective.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
The Aliexpress commentary got you didn't it? ;)

In all seriousness, there has been so many different ways that canon as attempted heat management, this actually looks like one of the more complete and elegant solutions
No idea what makes you think of Aliexpress here. This just looks like any other laptop fan.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Watch the second part of video, it ended up not being water cooled like in the title.
In fact, Kolari Vision's R5 cooling kit is basically just copying the original design he created and Canon is looking to do the same.
If the body is designed like what he said in the end, then the optional grip will be very effective.
I hope he made a patent before he posted it on youtube

Upvote 0
One would have to create vents in many areas to promote air flow thereby compromising weather sealing. A better approach would employ a jacketed/radiant and/or thermoelectric technique for cooling.
It looks like in the patent, the area the airflow is allowed to go through is sealed from the rest of the camera. So the heatsink itself can get wet, but the internals shouldn't.
Thermoelectric cooling wouldn't accomplish anything here. You still need a [larger] heatsink on the TEC, and they're terribly inefficient. Generally the only time you would look at using a TEC is if you need to keep very close to or under ambient.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I'd appreciate a hand warming grip for wildlife shooting in winter: if your fingers get numb just start a longer sequence of 8 k video ;) To be serious, this patent sounds like a smart solution. Even smarter would be new neuromorphic chip architectures that overcome the main problem of current Si technology: up to 90 % of the electric energy consumption is just transformed into heat, not information processing. Unfortunately, despite a lot of research since decades, such tech isn't going to hit the markets soon.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019
No, this is a Peltier cooler.
Pretty much the same as the R5 C, C70, S1H, FX3, Komodo, and many other weather-sealed cameras.
The fan is only for the heat sync.
Ah, I needed to look at the design more carefully. I thought it was a fan and heat sink which would require channels for air movement rather than employing TEC and the description is a bit confusing suggesting that there is a fan which blows air through channels in the camera body. So, is it a TEC, a TEC with a fan, a heat sink with a fan, or something else? Personally, I'm not a "fan" of an open system with channels which could accumulate, dirt, debris, moisture, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0