Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I am very glad to see that Canon has solid dynamic range in their sensors. For me it will be very interesting to see what they put into their mirrorless flagship camera (1Dx Mk3 replacement) over the next couple of years. A global sensor would be a phenomenal advancement. I am very content with the R5 and at this stage am more curious on what RF glass Canon is announcing in the 2021-2022 timeframe. A couple of fast wide-angle lens, two super telephotos, and a 1:1 macro and I would be all set with glass for the next decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well I think this is terrible news, Canon are cooking the RAW files at low iso values!
That was my initial reaction too. But I have to say, the sample images I've seen show more crisp detail in the lifted shadows compared to the EOS R even with the noise reduction on the R5 baked in. So perhaps the NR isn't that strong? Still uncooked raw files is always preferable!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That was my initial reaction too. But I have to say, the sample images I've seen show more crisp detail in the lifted shadows compared to the EOS R even with the noise reduction on the R5 baked in. So perhaps the NR isn't that strong? Still uncooked raw files is always preferable!
Well when you factor in that the ‘cooking’, built in RAW NR at low iso, is accounting for around 2/3 stop ‘improvement’ In DR then the shadows should look better.

But that 100% goes against what I want from a RAW file and whilst I haven’t gotten bent out of shape over the thermal issues this is news that very strongly disinclines me to get an R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Well when you factor in that the ‘cooking’, built in RAW NR at low iso, is accounting for around 2/3 stop ‘improvement’ In DR then the shadows should look better.

But that 100% goes against what I want from a RAW file and whilst I haven’t gotten bent out of shape over the thermal issues this is news that very strongly disinclines me to get an R5.
That's fair enough. I guess the point I was trying to make is that despite the NR, the R5 still shows more crisp detail in the shadows than the R. So if NR was the only reason for the improvement you would expect detail levels to be more heavily compromised. I'm just glad that it is better than the R in absolute terms..

Upvote 0
Well I think this is terrible news, Canon are cooking the RAW files at low iso values!
I agree with your disappointment - for me, a RAW is my negative, and I don't want anyone deciding how it should be pre-tweaked.

However, unfortunately, as we know it is spec-sheets that drive so many ****** internet reviews, and sadly, Canon have probably decided that financially, if you can't beat them, you have to join them.

I too hope there may be a backlash, and a reversal. Alternately, let Canon have a 'basic' RAW view that is seen as standard, and then a menu driven view that allows us untainted RAWs (we know most reviewers won't bother delving into the menu, so they can 'see' the cooked raw, while those that are bothered can find a way through to the untainted original).

Cheers

Stoical

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Nice with the gain up to around iso 800. However, sad that Canon now is applying noise reduction to RAW files. Hope it goes away as it did with Sony. We shoot RAW to have control over the end result. Otherwise there's JPG.
yup, Sony removed the dual gain output in A7 IV:

Upvote 0