R5 results added to Photons To Photos

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
There is low ISO NR applied below ISO 640, which is said to boost DR by about 2/3 stop.

I think I read a comment from B Claff, he may have been replying to a question, saying it might be that the low ISO NR is only being applied on low signal - deep shadow, but can’t be know for sure at this time.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I just received mine and certainly ou have not put it through the paces quite yet but my initial observations are that it has a somewhat significant advantage over the 5d4 in sensor tech. Granted this is an observation more on the noise/higher ISO than on the lower ISO shadow areas. I haven’t tested that use case as of yet.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just received mine and certainly ou have not put it through the paces quite yet but my initial observations are that it has a somewhat significant advantage over the 5d4 in sensor tech. Granted this is an observation more on the noise/higher ISO than on the lower ISO shadow areas. I haven’t tested that use case as of yet.
You received an A1 or a R5?

Both should beat the 5D IV quite easily, but as both have been discussed in the posts before yours the context of your message is unclear.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
You received an A1 or a R5?

Both should beat the 5D IV quite easily, but as both have been discussed in the posts before yours the context of your message is unclear.
Yes my bad, the R5 as referenced in the title. Noise at higher ISO is pretty distinguishable based on very limited observation. I haven’t quantified it but I think that difference would show up at ISO 1000 or so.

Base ISO could prove to be closer, the 5d4 is really good there both in the amount and character of the noise. Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to test that in the near future (real world).

Upvote 0