DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

D

Deleted member 384473

There's a reason technical writing and advertising are two different things. The former is about full & accurate description, the later is about creating a halo. Canon made the information available ahead of time, down to making the user manual available on line. The smart thing for a customer to do is read beyond the ads prior to forking $3K+
All true. No overheating info in the user manual but it was updated under specifications under Video Shooting a few days after Pre-order launch. Luckily there’s a back order and lots of Pre-orders haven’t been charged giving customers time to explore. Then another 30 days once the camera is in hand :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I kind of feel like people need to stop trying to save face on behalf of the camera for stills photographers on the back of its stills performance. It is a hybrid camera and all that video technology is absolutely coming at a premium. For mine, this product is a failure that perpetuates this issue with hybrid systems. You dont get to defend this as a stills product when so much of the purchase price is hiked up for experimental video tech that is, as discussed here, unusable for production purposes.

You cant tell me that a R5esque camera with all video functionality omitted would draw the same premium price. Id absolutely buy one in a heartbeat, but I wont be paying 7 grand dollars for a stills camera. Is there honestly not a strong enough market prospect for stills-only cameras?
It’s a 5 series like pro mirrorless body. A jack of al trades sort of speak. And sold in the same price range as previous Canon 5 series bodies. video functionality is a bonus. R5 is a primarily pro still camera. Yes, with some video functionality thrown in.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]and I would love to know how many 4K TV users watch YT and the like[..]

As a totally non representative sample of 1 here, when I bought a 4k TV a few years back I tried to make everything 4k capable: chromecast ultra, UHD player, Netflix UHD subscription, etc.

I try to watch youtube vids on the TV and proper 4k content like MKBHD looks much better than proper 1080p content.

But to be honest, if it wasn't part of the 'moving into the new house with first child on the way' spending spree at that point, I don't think I would've spent that much effort on trying to get everything do 4k.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

I, for one, don't even care. I want it for IBIS, the ability to mount 15-35mm f/2.8 w/ IS & 24-70mm f/2.8 w/ IS, the extra resolution, etc.

My computer screen is 2K. I had a 14 inch TV once, gifted it to a neighbor over 15 years ago, and haven't looked back. Ever since reality shows became a thing, TV became a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media elite.
What? lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
My understanding is that it is applied in camera and can't be deactivated..

From some of the sample photos posted to this forum though, the sharpness and detail in heavily raised shadows still looks better than the 5Div and R
That is really good news! I wander if this applies to R6 too...

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, for using mainly for fine art b&w lanscape, street, events, pano and night/astro/ star trails photos do you think indeed the R5 is bettee choice than the R6?

R5 has weather sealing and few other plus over the R6. R6 might face less problema with video recording (which is NOT my main interest) and slightly better sensitivity and maybe less noise (because smaller sensor) in low light conditions....

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

your example is not quite correct. if the car was advertised with NO engine, then you received exactly what has been advertised.
Canon was upfront about limitations around some recording times and also limited availability of 12FPS mechanical shutter mode...
so.. all the features that Canon claimed for the day one are all present in the final product. there are limitation and they are very finely defined.

show me a single feature of R5 or |R6 that has been advertised and is not available in the final product.
Let me help you though: there is no such a feature..
Yea, someone fixed my metaphor to a Bugatti that is marketed at 240 MPH but requires all sorts of special requirements and limitations to get there. So go find that comment lol too many on the page. Not a great tool for video shooters imo. Still waiting on a RF mount cine. Great stills camera with some video is a better way to look at it. Darn canon marketing, am I right?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yea, someone fixed my metaphor to a Bugatti that is marketed at 240 MPH but requires all sorts of special requirements and limitations to get there. So go find that comment lol too many on the page. Not a great tool for video shooters imo. Still waiting on a RF mount cine. Great stills camera with some video is a better way to look at it. Darn canon marketing, am I right?
could you please demonstrate what In the Canon R5 andR6 press release material contradicted the content of user Manual presentation?
I need a direct quote please not your understanding of marketing language.
so far you failed to point out what Canon over promised and under delivered.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Absolutely valid points *but* don't you think the cinema cameras are expensive largely because they offer those 'pro' video features? Asking for the cheaper stills/hybrid bodies to do what they do is wanting to have your cake and eat it?

Sure but not everyone wants all the PRO features from the cinema cameras, only an option to shoot high quality 4K footage for 1 or 2 hours (events for example). On their already existing camera.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

would you stop trolling already... as asked you before : show me what Canon promised (I need direct quote) and how it contradicted user manual
Bro, I’ve commented what I think 1000 times. Go read through the pages of comments for my opinion of their marketing of this camera. You’ll find what you need. Also, there’s nothing in user manual about overheating if you really want to get nit picky. Lol.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I kind of feel like people need to stop trying to save face on behalf of the camera for stills photographers on the back of its stills performance. It is a hybrid camera and all that video technology is absolutely coming at a premium. For mine, this product is a failure that perpetuates this issue with hybrid systems. You dont get to defend this as a stills product when so much of the purchase price is hiked up for experimental video tech
How much?

Can you please show me a cheaper camera with similar specs and ergonomics for wildlife photography?

(Just checked my Adobe Lightroom library for 5D2. The ratio of short video clips to photos was 1:5000. I could as well go without any video functionality in my stills camera, if, at you are saying, it would be cheaper)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Bro, I’ve commented what I think 1000 times. Go read through the pages of comments for my opinion of their marketing of this camera. You’ll find what you need. Also, there’s nothing in user manual about overheating if you really want to get nit picky. Lol.
+++ Also, there’s nothing in user manual about overheating if you really want to get nit picky. Lol.

A.M.: page 902 R5 user manual:
* 8K movie recording (RAW, DCI, UHD) has restrictions on possible recording time due to the camera
internal temperature rise. Max possible recording time is approx. 20 min. (at room temperature).
* 4K 60 p movie copped recording has restrictions on possible recording time due to the camera internal
temperature rise. Max possible recording time is approx. 25 min. (at room temperature).

And then page 375:

Red [ ] internal temperature warning icon
If the camera’s internal temperature increases due to prolonged movie recording or under a high ambient temperature, a red [ ] icon will appear.
The red [ ] icon indicates that movie recording will soon be terminated automatically. If this happens, you will not be able to record again until the camera’s internal temperature decreases, so turn off the power and let the camera cool down a while. Note that the time until movie recording stops automatically when the red [ ] icon is displayed varies depending on shooting conditions. Recording a movie at a high temperature for a prolonged period will cause the red
[ ] icon to appear earlier. When you are not recording, always turn off the camera.

[ ] icon
[ ] may be displayed if repeated movie recording or extended use of Live View display increases the camera’s internal temperature. Turn off the camera or take other measures when [ ] is displayed, and wait until the camera cools down. The camera will turn off automatically if you continue recording while [ ] is displayed. The camera may also turn off automatically if you continue using Live View display while [ ] is displayed.

I hope you can appreciate Canon delivering a potential overheating statement in a plain English.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0