DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

Jan 29, 2011
most of your criticism does not make any sense. it is a noise.. and noise is annoying as heck.. here you have it.
And now it seems most of the criticism has moved, it isn’t the camera it is the marketing! Let’s destroy the product because our sensibilities are disturbed by some marketing....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bro, I’ve commented what I think 1000 times. Go read through the pages of comments for my opinion of their marketing of this camera. You’ll find what you need. Also, there’s nothing in user manual about overheating if you really want to get nit picky. Lol.
1000 times to many.;)

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That's not a universal truth. You have markets such USA and Japan that are pushing the boundaries, but I've went to Portugal last year and they are still selling 1080p displays in abundance.
Which I get, but those content creators aren’t trying to do it on a R5 are they? Film makers won’t be using a Canon or a Sony unless it’s because the camera is cheap enough to be disposable? Won’t they use the Sony professional range and the Canon Cine, or Red or whatever other range they use?

I’m just trying to understand in my own mind the concern about the higher end video modes for content creators thinking of using an r5 or a Sony where their target market doesn’t have a 4K screen. My limited view says they’re creating internet content, on vimeo, on YT where ever. That doesn’t detract from how good the content is, but if you’re unlikely to watch that content on a 4K device, then how important is all these high end video modes right now?

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Disagree all you want, the competition doesn't have this problem.
Because they don’t have 45MP sensors capable of producing full-frame 8k/4k120 with IBIS and incredible AF in small handheld product sold at under $4,000. But that was THEIR choice. Now, WE get to decide. Pro and cons either way.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
He lies right in the title. " The Canon EOS R5 is NOT AN 8K CAMERA! " If it's not a click-bait and a lie, then what is? We know it is an 8K camera!

Oh please...if you're watching his series on the R5, or you watch the first few minutes of this particular video, you know the context of the title. Which is "can you professionally use the 8k?" Show me another filmmaker who put that much effort into trying out the R5 and making it work with a real production set, actors, etc. It's clear he was excited about the camera and wanted to love it. If the R5 had normal recovery times his videos alone would have been a huge feather in Canon's cap and would have sold a boat load of the things.

No one else is going to put more effort into trying to make the R5 look like a jewel for cinema. Anyone who can dismiss his opinion on this matter is simply in denial.

Are you personally shooting weddings and considering A7SIII instead of R5?

The R5 is a "no buy" for me unless and until enough data comes in to prove it's reliable shooting stills in hot weather. If other people report overheating while shooting stills it's DOA for me.

Assuming stills are OK, it has gone from a "must have this year" purchase to a "meh, maybe skip it" purchase. Strip the video features down to LQ 4k30 (the reliable mode) and it's over $4,000 (gotta count the expensive memory cards) for IBIS, faster fps, eye AF, more DR, and about 2/3 stop better high ISO. That's not a bad list, but there's nothing on that list worth $4k to me. Nothing that crosses the line from "makes life a little easier" to "really changes the quality of my work." I would rather spend the money on trips, glass, etc.

If I was on the 5D3 or even a 5D4 or R then I would likely get it despite the video issues. The jump in resolution/sharpness would push it over the top. But it would still burn to drop $4k on a camera then another $1-1.5k on a hybrid that can actually handle video, and carrying both around. I just cannot believe Canon missed this or thought it unimportant. If you want video at all how can you rely on a camera that might have zero minutes record time because you dared to shoot stills first?

Absent a fix for the thermal issues I'm likely to wait for the rumored 83-100mp R body or an R5 mark II.

Ironically, if Canon had released a 5D5 with the same internals it would probably be a "must buy this year" for me. No EVF processing + a larger heat sink would likely resolve the thermal issues.

So personally I don't care at all, and I don't know why I should care about wedding photographers requirements.

Canon should care. Assuming a fix is physically possible at this point, fix vs. no fix will impact sales and the number of people on the RF mount and buying RF lenses. System loyalty from glass investments means this will impact sales for years.

Upvote 0
As a totally non representative sample of 1 here, when I bought a 4k TV a few years back I tried to make everything 4k capable: chromecast ultra, UHD player, Netflix UHD subscription, etc.

I try to watch youtube vids on the TV and proper 4k content like MKBHD looks much better than proper 1080p content.

But to be honest, if it wasn't part of the 'moving into the new house with first child on the way' spending spree at that point, I don't think I would've spent that much effort on trying to get everything do 4k.

That’s interesting thanks. I’d love to know how to work out how typical you are of the target market.

I don’t mean to offend anyone but smartphones became the most popular camera cause it was good enough quality, at the right price and convenient. I just wonder how much they care about a 45MP photo or a 4k60 video?

I don’t know either, but I could guess, how many people are happy with streamed 4K movies etc when the UHD disk is better quality? I think again the convenience, price and good enough means streaming will continue to become dominant across films and music and a minority (perhaps to differentiate) will produce 8k / 12k but ultimately when viewed it won’t be as the creators intended....

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Now the same thing is happening with the EOS R5. A lot of bash right now at its launch, but in 12 months a lot of people will be uploading their Youtube videos with "I've switched to the EOS R5"

Only if Canon can fix this. You can't switch to a cinema camera that regularly laughs at you when you want to record.

Upvote 0
Oh please...if you're watching his series on the R5, or you watch the first few minutes of this particular video, you know the context of the title. Which is "can you professionally use the 8k?" Show me another filmmaker who put that much effort into trying out the R5 and making it work with a real production set, actors, etc. It's clear he was excited about the camera and wanted to love it. If the R5 had normal recovery times his videos alone would have been a huge feather in Canon's cap and would have sold a boat load of the things.

No one else is going to put more effort into trying to make the R5 look like a jewel for cinema. Anyone who can dismiss his opinion on this matter is simply in denial.

The R5 is a "no buy" for me unless and until enough data comes in to prove it's reliable shooting stills in hot weather. If other people report overheating while shooting stills it's DOA for me.

Assuming stills are OK, it has gone from a "must have this year" purchase to a "meh, maybe skip it" purchase. Strip the video features down to LQ 4k30 (the reliable mode) and it's over $4,000 (gotta count the expensive memory cards) for IBIS, faster fps, eye AF, more DR, and about 2/3 stop better high ISO. That's not a bad list, but there's nothing on that list worth $4k to me. Nothing that crosses the line from "makes life a little easier" to "really changes the quality of my work." I would rather spend the money on trips, glass, etc.

If I was on the 5D3 or even a 5D4 or R then I would likely get it despite the video issues. The jump in resolution/sharpness would push it over the top. But it would still burn to drop $4k on a camera then another $1-1.5k on a hybrid that can actually handle video, and carrying both around. I just cannot believe Canon missed this or thought it unimportant. If you want video at all how can you rely on a camera that might have zero minutes record time because you dared to shoot stills first?

Absent a fix for the thermal issues I'm likely to wait for the rumored 83-100mp R body or an R5 mark II.

Ironically, if Canon had released a 5D5 with the same internals it would probably be a "must buy this year" for me. No EVF processing + a larger heat sink would likely resolve the thermal issues.

Canon should care. Assuming a fix is physically possible at this point, fix vs. no fix will impact sales and the number of people on the RF mount and buying RF lenses. System loyalty from glass investments means this will impact sales for years.
But as I said earlier on, in a previous video he said Professional film makers would have 4 of these on hand, and cited he’s been on shoots where they have like 4 Reds.

In another video he says 8k he would using sparingly, like on drone shots.

Everyone is allowed to change their mind, but he hasn’t changed his content. He’s just produced a contradictory video. I agree on the that use case it didn’t do what he needed. I just start to switch off when people change their views without providing an explanation - without that I am lead to believe he has different motives....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
It has been a month since the camera was announced (almost) and you guys still whine about it.

Trimming your armchair psychoanalysis to explain the actual "why" in simple terms...

If Olympus released a new body tomorrow with these problems I wouldn't care at all. I'm not in m43 and never will be. The people "whining" are doing so because they love Canon and wanted to see a top tier R body to put their EF and RF glass on. I want to throw $4k at Canon for the ultimate hybrid FF mirrorless. But Canon stumbled on a fairly significant point. Again, it's not the record time limits, it's the heat buildup shooting stills + recovery. All the exciting video modes are worthless if you can't depend on them turning on. Can't even predict if/when they'll turn on.

So it's back to the waiting game with Canon. I'm frustrated but probably will wait because I love my 5Ds and EF glass. OTOH I won't be buying RF glass, and there's no "lock in" with me because of that. And some people just won't wait any longer.

You would have to be blind to miss the pent up market pressure from professional and advanced amateur Canon users.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016

See, bad faith waffle like this annoys me. Nowhere is there any mention of the camera overheating in stills mode.
And nowhere in any of your posts is an understanding of how you would shoot video clips with it.
This is just another account here to trash the new camera either because they’re a Sony fan or just bored on the internet and needing to complain about something. No facts, no basis for complaint, and therefore no point in listening.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
How many minutes?

Not 120.

It's not, because it's flat.

No, surface area exposed to airflow is precisely why airflow would efficiently remove the heat if it was the sensor overheating.

Would you want to need to wear gloves to operate it in +15 degrees Celsius?

Is that a problem for the Z6, Z7, A7 series, A7r series, or XT series?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
See, bad faith waffle like this annoys me. Nowhere is there any mention of the camera overheating in stills mode.

Two user reports so far. Which may be nothing, or may be something. But given the conditions I sometimes shoot in, there's no way I'm dropping $4k until I know for sure that it's nothing.

And nowhere in any of your posts is an understanding of how you would shoot video clips with it.

I understand I can't shoot video clips with it if it's in thermal protection from stills shooting or from an earlier video clip. Again, the problem is not the record time limits. The problem is the recovery.

This is just another account here to trash the new camera either because they’re a Sony fan or just bored on the internet and needing to complain about something. No facts, no basis for complaint, and therefore no point in listening.

You better check my posting history here before throwing around nonsense like that.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I got really excited about this too! It's not quite an apples to apples comparison though.. the R5 is applying some noise reduction to the RAW files at low ISO. Still a step forward from the 5d IV and R though

Judging from the IQ of sample files I'm not sure it matters practically if it's through light NR at low ISO. The files are gorgeous so they're not sacrificing resolution or sharpness (or at least not enough to matter).

It's also a dual gain sensor which is a big step for Canon. I've complained a lot about the thermal issues but I'll hand it to Canon on the stills IQ.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
So, after a few days, I can honestly say, I love the R5. The stills image quality is superb and the AF is such a step forward from the R it makes taking images of moving things so much better. No overheating issues even though temperatures in the UK has been quite warm 30 degrees yesterday.

The biggest gripe I have is setting the cards up to save what I want to each card and then trying to import onto my MAC when Lightroom doesn't support CR3 RAW files. :mad: I used to have 2 cards in the 7d MKII which was pretty easy to set up but even following the manual I cant seem to get it how I want. I know it's not supposed to be a manly thing to do to refer to the manual but I will re read it and try different settings.:ROFLMAO: I downloaded Adobe DNG 12.4 Beta but for some reason it wouldn't recognise my card so I resorted to importing as JPEG. Not great. Come on Adobe get this plug in sorted!

Update
I was going to upload one of the 1st images I took after setting the R5 up, using animal AF. It's not an amazing picture from a composition perspective but as she is a black Labrador with very dark eyes, I have always had issues taking decent pictures that show the coat and eyes well. I'm quite please as a 1st attempt, especially as the background is quite a contrast to her coat. The eyes are in perfect focus and can be enlarged so that one eye fills the screen and is still pin sharp. Something I could never do with the R.

I tried uploading the image but it tried and told me the image was too large. I could reduce the size but sort of defeats the object really. I give up lol.

If I may suggest,

take a look at photo mechanic as your first line work flow step.
Ingest both cards where ever you like, caption, add all the iptc you wish, rate, divide into sub folder etc and then send those you wish to LR or PS.

It isn't for everyone, but for my workflow, it is the best 1st stage captioning, selection tool made.
I helped a friend set his up, he sends selects to LR and outs that he weants to keep to a hard drive dedicated to outs.

Worth a look, they give a free trial. Almost every newspaper, wire service shooter uses PM, simple, easy, FAST first stage.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That’s interesting thanks. I’d love to know how to work out how typical you are of the target market.

I don’t mean to offend anyone but smartphones became the most popular camera cause it was good enough quality, at the right price and convenient. I just wonder how much they care about a 45MP photo or a 4k60 video?

First kid, 4 years ago: EOS M in the go-bag for the hospital delivery. Second kid, 1.5 years ago: iPhone in trouser pocket.

I don’t know either, but I could guess, how many people are happy with streamed 4K movies etc when the UHD disk is better quality? I think again the convenience, price and good enough means streaming will continue to become dominant across films and music and a minority (perhaps to differentiate) will produce 8k / 12k but ultimately when viewed it won’t be as the creators intended....

Having Disney+ is so much less effort for entertaining toddlers than swapping disks in and out of the player. It also makes it a lot easier to say "OK, you can watch the let-it-go scene on my phone" and only that scene instead of going "I've gone through this much trouble and disk menus that they can watch half the movie" :)
So strangely enough streaming cuts down on screen time for the little ones here instead of making it worse (as it does for me).

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Because they don’t have 45MP sensors capable of producing full-frame 8k/4k120 with IBIS and incredible AF in small handheld product sold at under $4,000.

Once again for those in the back of the class: the problem is not the record time limits. Those are actually decent. The problem is heat retention. Just turning the camera on eats into the record time limits. Shooting stills can drop them to zero. And even if you get the full time from a cold start, you then have to wait hours for recovery. And this is true for over sampled 4k30, not just for 4k120 or 8k.

Several competitors have over sampled 4k30 without this problem. I don't know why it becomes a religious/political issue to just admit Canon got the thermals wrong in this design. If you don't care about video then great, the R5 is an amazing stills camera. Love it, enjoy it. It's still frustrating to see Canon have a potential game-winning home run that stumbles on something that would have been so minor to fix in early development.

Upvote 0
Only if Canon can fix this. You can't switch to a cinema camera that regularly laughs at you when you want to record.
The EOS R5 is not a cinema camera. It was never meant to be a cinema camera and Canon never advertised it as being one.

If they switch to the R5, they know it's not a cinema camera, just like the EOS R prior to that.

Upvote 0
Hi all, for using mainly for fine art b&w lanscape, street, events, pano and night/astro/ star trails photos do you think indeed the R5 is bettee choice than the R6?

IMHO street, events, night/astro I would choose R6, landscape I would choose R5.

R5 has weather sealing and few other plus over the R6. R6 might face less problema with video recording (which is NOT my main interest) and slightly better sensitivity and maybe less noise (because smaller sensor) in low light conditions....

There are reports of overheating on the R6 video too, I wouldn't like to choose between them on that. In practice you won't get any better high ISO performance on the lower res sensor.

Tbh while it's very hard to give advice as to what someone else should buy, if you have the budget, get the R5. If not, the R6 will be fine for most purposes.

Upvote 0
Bro, I’ve commented what I think 1000 times. Go read through the pages of comments for my opinion of their marketing of this camera. You’ll find what you need. Also, there’s nothing in user manual about overheating if you really want to get nit picky. Lol.

Including this

I bid a farewell to this thread.

:p

Upvote 0