Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Mar 4, 2020
Instead of making it all about video, how about god damn uncompressed Mraw Canon.
I am assuming Mraw is the "Medium size RAW" format, that is uncompressed but saved in a reduced resolution (pixels).

Do you not like the quality of the compressed RAW format option? I have been quite impressed with it and it is a lot smaller file size. I think I get a better image with less loss of detail in that format than a reduced pixel size RAW. (I am just starting to shoot with this format since my other camera was 7Dii and did not have it.)

Remember, just because it is uncompressed does not mean that Mraw does not lose information. It has to get rid of and/or combine pixels somehow to get to a smaller resolution.

Upvote 0
Hope for good news!

As a firmware wishes:

- I would prefer cinemarawlight to 4k, but would be good to 8k either.
- For my needs I don´t really need 1080@120fps (Why would someone need if you have 4k120, just use 4k even for 1080 projects.
- Would LOVE C-log3!
- Would LOVE 4k@120 could be recorded externally, but I guess with this micro hdmi it can´t be possible...
- About overheating, I didn´t have any problems yet, but yes, I must confess that the fear of overheating is always present.... :D So if Canon manage to get more recording time it will be great!!

- As a global opinion, I am loving this camera! Stills are wonderful and video is amazing! ;)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Cinema Raw Light is Canon's own compressed raw codec, first introduced on the C200 and now present in C500II, C300III, and 1DX Mark III. It's similar to Black Magic Raw in that it is a compressed raw codec giving you raw image quality without the giant file sizes. BM Raw has more compression options (5:1, 8:1, 12:1, etc), but Canon's is a fixed compression that works out to be around 4:1 or so. So, file sizes are still big, but not nearly as big as straight raw. Adding this would probably double or triple your record times in 8k on the R5, which would be very welcome.
4 times smaller RAW video wounds awesome, but since there will be compression wouldn't that impact heat generation and worsen the problem?

Upvote 0
Would have liked to have seen 1080p 240fps w/dpaf II on that list.
I remember the speculation of 1080 240fps before the announcement, so it's a shame the R5 doesn't at least have a 1080 120fps option yet. I'm not on the hate train at all and I can't wait for my pre-order to arrive, but at the very least it'd be nice to have a fall back 120fps option when overheating hits.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
How exactly do you propose to do that? It’s like 8K but with extra computation required to downsample into 4K :rolleyes:
That might be quite possible depending on what is the reason for rec limit. Camera can record 4+ hours of external 4K HQ, while dropping to 0 minutes during menu browsing with internal set-up.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
4 times smaller RAW video wounds awesome, but since there will be compression wouldn't that impact heat generation and worsen the problem?
4 times smaller RAW video will greatly reduces CFE bandwidth utilisation. Meaning much less heat generated. CFE overheating seems is the bigger Issue here

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Instead of making it all about video, how about god damn uncompressed Mraw Canon.
Nobody has yet proposed how it is possible to have non-debayered downsampled RAW. Canon’s old MRAW and SRAW never were real RAW, they were already debayered and thus had little of the flexibility of real RAW when it comes to color adjustment.

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
I will support another commenter by saying that you should try CRAW.
Numerous tests show that the raw files between RAW and CRAW are identical in degree of manipulation in photo editing tools and give the same sharpness and colors. The only differences can be seen when pushing shadows a lot at ISO 6400 and up, and it’s not a very significant difference. All this with a reduction of 40% in size.
I don’t think you’ll miss your MRaw which, as other people have mentioned, will also require some degree of in camera manipulation and degradation

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
How exactly do you propose to do that? It’s like 8K but with extra computation required to downsample into 4K :rolleyes:
You don’t seem to get it. This camera is not shutting down due to overheating, it’s shutting down because Canon coded the firmware to make the headline features unusable. This is no mistake or oversight. It could never have passed testing if this was not deliberate.

Upvote 0
You don’t seem to get it. This camera is not shutting down due to overheating, it’s shutting down because Canon coded the firmware to make the headline features unusable. This is no mistake or oversight. It could never have passed testing if this was not deliberate.
Looks like you are the only one who gets it. :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
CLog3 is great (for those who like to color grade)

I only have a few menu items or UI items to nitpick, like being able to add a few more functions to buttons, or being able to split dial customization for AV/TV/M mode. I like being able to use the back wheel for quick AF switching in AV mode. For now I’m relying on C1 to remember that so it doesn’t rob my M mode of aperture. I use top dial for exposure adjustment.

Also, I would love to get a precision focus for infinity (imagine as you slow your focus, the range expands and lets you find the actual infinity point and lock it). The last one is easiest, can we get the zoom indicator on the display or viewfinder? I’d like to know what I’m zoomed to without looking at the lens.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Not if the record times aren't extended beyond much what they are now
Those who use this camera as a camera see no problem with “record times.” Works like a mule all day long in 95F ambient without a hitch.

R5 with EF 100mm macro. Looking directly into the early evening sun with soft fill from a Profoto A1X and Profoto Soft Bounce at camera left, Profoto AirRemote TTL-C.

16341AD5-C8BA-4FE1-A89C-F67980168A79.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0