Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Ranked in fortune 500 and getting hit by hackers and being down for weeks is not a good sign for the company itself in front of consumers ... we understand that its bad but then again they should give something on their website with an ETA ..just saying go to Cananda and then saying only drivers..its bad for their image ...very bad
Often there is a defined limit to what you can say without triggering the hackers. Sadly, the governments of the world (including ours) have done little to make the price for this kind of hacking untenable. Some are even complicit. I am for public hanging, or at least public flaying. Expectation of extreme pain is a useful deterrent.

Upvote 0
Sorry I"m not the most familiar with CR in general. Has CR2 been pretty reliable in the past? I'd be absoultely thrilled if this list of things ends up true.

From the "CR Rating System" left navigation bar:

Hello readers.

This is a rumors site, not everything you read here should be taken as fact unless we say so!

Below is an explanation of our ratings for posts of the rumor genre.

[CR0] – Basically a joke
We don’t post these types of things very often, unless we see other sites posting something that is completely untrue and will never happen.

[CR1] – Plausible information, but from an unconfirmed source
This is information we deem as “possible”. However, the information comes from an unknown or anonymous source, so we cannot confirm its authenticity.

[CR2] – Good information from a known source
Even known sources that have been correct in the past may not provide perfect information from time to time. This rating means there’s a strong possibility that the information has some truth to it, but it may be incomplete and/or misinterpreted information.

[CR3] – Fact
We use this rating when we’re sure what we’re posting is a fact.

Have fun here at Canon Rumors, but don’t make any crazy buying decisions based on anything that isn’t rated [CR3]. We do our best to give you the most accurate information possible, but it’s really hard to be correct 100% of the time.

Thank-you for reading the site and not taking things too seriously.

Cheers,
Craig

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Other than using the 8k footage as a source to pan around in for a 4k output, just how are you going to enjoy the benefits of 8k without an 8k monitor?

Pan, zoom, crop, stabilise 4K footage, resize in post (ok, you can use oversampled 4K for that) or shoot short action sequences and grab frames from it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Paul Nordin

CR Pro
Jun 5, 2020
Other than using the 8k footage as a source to pan around in for a 4k output, just how are you going to enjoy the benefits of 8k without an 8k monitor?
This is the same argument that people used when SD moved to HD, and HD moved to 4k. The bottom line is, shooting 8k now is a cutting/bleeding edge act. But the push for more quality (even if only a perception, not reality) is inevitable. And I can say the reality of taking 8k footage into post to work with it is painful, and awesome at the same time...even if I'm mastering to 4k.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Pan, zoom, crop, stabilise 4K footage, resize in post (ok, you can use oversampled 4K for that) or shoot short action sequences and grab frames from it.
Grabbing frames is very useful, but that is something for the stills guys. I have seen very little mention of any of this by the whiny U-tubers.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
This is the same argument that people used when SD moved to HD, and HD moved to 4k. The bottom line is, shooting 8k now is a cutting/bleeding edge act. But the push for more quality (even if only a perception, not reality) is inevitable. And I can say the reality of taking 8k footage into post to work with it is painful, and awesome at the same time...even if I'm mastering to 4k.
I didn't mean to imply that 8k wasn't useful, just that the U-Tube whiners have done nothing to point out its utility.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Recovery time is based on the devices actual temperature. It would be silly to think that a camera sitting in the sun in Miami Florida would have the same recovery time as one sitting in the Alps.
Is it? Because there is more than a little evidence to suggest temperature might have little to do with it in the case of the R5.

Upvote 0
Let's hope this will kill all the talk about overheating once and for all.
What do u expect for $3800? If you or anyone is serious about making 'movies', get a C300 or 500! Tired of every complaining about 'overheating' or this and that!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Instead of making it all about video, how about god damn uncompressed Mraw Canon.
Yea......What do u expect for $3800? If anyone is serious about making 'movies', get a C300 or 500! Tired of every complaining about 'overheating' or this and that!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I expect firmware might help with overheating.

:)
It's a 'hardware' issue, not a 'firmware' issue. Whenever u have a container that produces heat, you have to have a vent for the heat to escape and a 'fan' to help it dissipate the heat and keep the container cool or at least cooler........think of a home attic......they all have a vent at the very least.....most also have a fan. Common sense, science......not 'firmware'!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
It's a 'hardware' issue, not a 'firmware' issue. Whenever u have a container that produces heat, you have to have a vent for the heat to escape and a 'fan' to help it dissipate the heat and keep the container cool or at least cooler........think of a home attic......they all have a vent at the very least.....most also have a fan. Common sense, science......not 'firmware'!
I don't think anyone (apart maybe from the Canon techs labouring away as we speak) know that for certain. The fact that there is a difference in shooting times without CFE cards implies there may be firmware tweaks possible. This may be answered when the promised firmware update drops.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Upvote 0
I don't think anyone (apart maybe from the Canon techs labouring away as we speak) know that for certain. The fact that there is a difference in shooting times without CFE cards implies there may be firmware tweaks possible. This may be answered when the promised firmware update drops.
A great review was posted about a week ago on CR. The reputable person who gave it stated he took the CF and SD cards out and used external recording. He stated it made no difference.......just saying.

Upvote 0