Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
These are really nice (love the Black-Eyed Susans(?) but the rest are excellent as well. The first thing I thought when I saw the recovered highlights in the first images was I'M SAVED!
Even with the histogram up I am still overexposing - I think because of the flippy screen brightness - but even so there isn't anything I haven't been able to recover. But man, I'm going to have to get a PC upgrade. I did some star trails during the Perseids but processing the 300 files...took...awhile.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Even with the histogram up I am still overexposing - I think because of the flippy screen brightness - but even so there isn't anything I haven't been able to recover. But man, I'm going to have to get a PC upgrade. I did some star trails during the Perseids but processing the 300 files...took...awhile.
I overexposed that shot to try something.

I tend to shoot on a tripod a lot and exposure stack if I am not using grad filters. The plan was to take 2 shots and stack them handheld and see how the IBIS handled it but I got distracted by the mosquitos eating my LEGS... and my wife fumigating me with deep woods off (extra deet).

• Haha
Upvote 0
Oh you mean the crap the EOSHD is throwing around...

Seems it was debunked

Has EOSHD lost its mind?

Roger Cicala has a really good post in that thread:

Sometimes we do teardowns when things break, other times when we're ready to make our in-house repair outlines. The latter happens when 1) Aaron and I have time and 2) the item is available in quantities that allow us to pull one out of stock for a couple of days. With the R5, which currently has a long waiting list of people wanting it as soon as we get a copy in stock, it's going to be a month probably. Depends on how quickly we get our orders filled.

I really don't have any opinion on all the discussion otherwise, I'm not a software person. I would add, though, that my limited experience with throwing heat sink paste and runs over hot spots, has never been the panacea that some people think it's going to be. I'm not trying to say that first gen engineering (this is sort of first gen, with IBIS, a new sensor, and a CPU that hasn't been in a mirrorless body before) is the best at all. But I am saying there's a lot more to heat flow in an enclosed, small body with several heat sources (sensors and IBIS get hot and weren't even considered in that limited teardown) than what's being considered here.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

I shoot viewfinder 99.9 percent of the time. Unless there is a shot that demands tilty/flippy..

What kind of PC are you running?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I am going to try and stay away from these threads because I feel like I am learning nothing new and the sides have gone to their respective corners and come out swinging and it seems no facts/opinions are going to change anyone's position.

My last take on all of this is my R5 has overheated exactly zero times in my real world use. I have not tried to get it to overheat or tried not to get it to overheat I am simply using the Camera. I have not even seen the overheat symbol...

A big thank you to everyone on this site and across the internet that has tested the overheating and confirm the validity of the issue means I do not have to.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
What do u expect for $3800? If you or anyone is serious about making 'movies', get a C300 or 500! Tired of every complaining about 'overheating' or this and that!
not sure who you're addressing or why you quoted me, but you have no idea what you're talking about. but then again, you know what they say about people when they assume.

for the record, I'm tired of people complaining about the issue too. but i'm also tired of people assuming they know where people stand on an issue by reading into a simple comment and projecting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
I shoot viewfinder 99.9 percent of the time. Unless there is a shot that demands tilty/flippy..

What kind of PC are you running?
I do both...right now I'm running everything through my Lenovo Thinkpad 590 (i7 8th Gen, SSD, 24GB of RAM, weak video card), which can get the job done most of the time, but I think it's time for a dedicated photo/video edit build. Wished ya lived nearby so I could come drop off the R5 for you to play with for a weekend!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
There you're seeing the advantage of a massively parallel processor with (at least some) dedicated hardware specialized for those codecs and a large power budget. Modern desktop Nvidia cards are stronger than a Cray.
So true.

We don't know how optimized Canon engineers had time to make the H265 hardware codec support, or if it's having to lean on the general purpose CPU (much slower/less efficient) - or how many transistors could be dedicated. They add power dissipation (heat) and design time, but efficiency can lower it so even if you have all the time you need for dev work it's a trade off.
I think they had to spend a lot of time on this. It is probably one of the Digic X's crown jewels (encode 8K30 10-bit 422 on a microprocessor with a few Watt thermal envelope).
Software encoding of 8K in real-time is only possible with the highest-end CPU, e.g. 64core Threadripper (~280W thermal envelope).
Just 1-2years ago, real-time encoding of 8K footage was considered so demanding that Apple used it to demonstrate the power of their latest Mac Pro + accelerator card.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
This is the same argument that people used when SD moved to HD, and HD moved to 4k. The bottom line is, shooting 8k now is a cutting/bleeding edge act. But the push for more quality (even if only a perception, not reality) is inevitable. And I can say the reality of taking 8k footage into post to work with it is painful, and awesome at the same time...even if I'm mastering to 4k.

Fully agree but I'd expect that 8K will be mainly a production tool and 4K mastering will remain "standard" for quite some time.

Resolution is really getting to a point of diminishing returns. Unless screen sizes increase dramatically (at equal viewing distances), I don't see many tangible benefits of 8K in practice. I think "picture quality" of future screens will depend more on (local) contrast ratio and (wide) color rendition than resolution. I tried something like this in a shop recently and find it quite to the point:

The other thing is that increasing the resolution works only well for static scenes unless we also increase the fps. The bokeh/smear produced by a moving subjects (measured in mm on the sensor) depends only on the fps, shutter angle, and velocity of the subject (not resolution). See, e.g.

Upvote 0
Heat generation mainly from Digic processor
Heat generation from Digic processor is variable - depends if you are using it heavily such as shooting 8K video

Heat dissipation = HW issue, 2 levels;
  • Heat dissipation from Digic processor - any heat sink?
  • Heat dissipation from camera - sealed body? body material? External temperature?

Overheating = Heat generation - Heat dissipation.

Hope this helps clear the air.

Upvote 0
I am wondering if CRAW is a better option for star trails as noise reduction is not as critical epsecially at lower ISO. Milky Way shot/s panorama is a different story though and I would use normal RAW for that (and stack).

Upvote 0
I am going to try and stay away from these threads because I feel like I am learning nothing new and the sides have gone to their respective corners and come out swinging and it seems no facts/opinions are going to change anyone's position.

My last take on all of this is my R5 has overheated exactly zero times in my real world use. I have not tried to get it to overheat or tried not to get it to overheat I am simply using the Camera. I have not even seen the overheat symbol...

A big thank you to everyone on this site and across the internet that has tested the overheating and confirm the validity of the issue means I do not have to.
I'm not a video guy but I have a R5 now and have been following the discussions. One thing that I have appreciated is learning more about the different video modes and what you can and can't easily do with them so definitely a learning experience for me and how I can use R5 video in the future. One thing for sure is that I am not upgrading my macbook pro until it can handle 4:2:2 codecs in hardware a la iPad Pro.

Upvote 0
I do both...right now I'm running everything through my Lenovo Thinkpad 590 (i7 8th Gen, SSD, 24GB of RAM, weak video card), which can get the job done most of the time, but I think it's time for a dedicated photo/video edit build.
Photo edit build is okay if a little slow for me at the moment. I was going to update to a new macbook pro (plus some on the options list) but after watching Max's video
I will wait for the first ARM model rather than the current Intel-based version. I will have it for a long time to come :)
Hopefully later this year or early next year.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I do both...right now I'm running everything through my Lenovo Thinkpad 590 (i7 8th Gen, SSD, 24GB of RAM, weak video card), which can get the job done most of the time, but I think it's time for a dedicated photo/video edit build. Wished ya lived nearby so I could come drop off the R5 for you to play with for a weekend!

What a GUY! Thanks so much for that. I can’t wait for mine to get here.

I often use my Surface Book II which is pretty stout, but the heavy lifting is done on my PC - like you say, it’s purpose built. I can’t imagine doing all my processing on a laptop - I just don’t have the patience.

Upvote 0
What a GUY! Thanks so much for that. I can’t wait for mine to get here.

I often use my Surface Book II which is pretty stout, but the heavy lifting is done on my PC - like you say, it’s purpose built. I can’t imagine doing all my processing on a laptop - I just don’t have the patience.

I use a MacBook Pro with an external AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 video card over the thunderbolt connection. In Premiere Pro it makes very short work of things. If you're going to do any significant amount of video, it's worth it to spend a little money and get good hardware acceleration.

Upvote 0

I habe literally had the same experience. I had a 2hrs shoot outdoors, shooting 4K120; No overheating or warning and it was 96F 80% humidity.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0