2019 global camera market share numbers are out, Canon leads the way

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Nikkei Asian Review has released its 2019 worldwide market share report for camera manufacturers, as well as other industries.
The big 3 are still the big 3, but we have a new #2.

Canon 45.4% (+ 2.4)
Sony 20.2% (+ 0.9)
Nikon 18.6% (- 1.6)
Fujifilm Holdings 4.7% (- 0.4)
Panasonic 4.7% (0.0 )

Interestingly, Canon increased its market share over 2018 by 2.4%, however the overall market contracted 22.4%. So they have a larger piece of a smaller pie again.

Continue reading...

Jan 29, 2011
Canon can just print out money and whatever they want. What printer brand does Nikon use at their office?

I know it was a humorous reply but...

No they can't there are printer identifiers on every piece of paper out of a high end printer so investigators know where it came from, and most printing software won't allow you to print copies of paper money anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Legacy. Public (90%+ camera income) will go with the brand they trust most. Especially in unpredictable times. Especially with electronics. *The bru ha-ha over the R5/R6 release will not make a difference with ordinary folks. Nobody keeps up with NICHE news unless they're into it.
People go into a camera stores with a budget, and stick to it. While hanging around camera store, I've never heard people (90%) asking about Ibis, rolling shutter, DR, etc....
Canon got the camera esthetic SPOT ON. Their design is curved, flushed, robust. I think they've got most of the women customers.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Legacy. Public (90%+ camera income) will go with the brand they trust most. Especially in unpredictable times. Especially with electronics. *The bru ha-ha over the R5/R6 release will not make a difference with ordinary folks. Nobody keeps up with NICHE news unless they're into it.
People go into a camera stores with a budget, and stick to it. While hanging around camera store, I've never heard people (90%) asking about Ibis, rolling shutter, DR, etc....
Canon got the camera esthetic SPOT ON. Their design is curved, flushed, robust. I think they've got most of the women customers.
Bingo, re: Costco Rebel bundles.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway

No they can't there are printer identifiers on every piece of paper out of a high end printer so investigators know where it came from, and most printing software won't allow you to print copies of paper money anyway.
And so much more. Its really fascinating how advanced it is and how many different levels of verification and identification they have today.

Upvote 0
A camera store? Where are there any camera stores anymore? None in Pittsburgh, not really; we have to drive to Ohio. Internet has taken its toll.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
A camera store? Where are there any camera stores anymore? None in Pittsburgh, not really; we have to drive to Ohio. Internet has taken its toll.
I'm from Australia. There's Costco here. But we do have some camera stores, and big electronics stores. BUT it's crickets in the camera section of electronics stores. You can see cob webs in the display cabinet.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
I hope they can hit a couple of home runs and drive the industry. 3 big players is better for us as consumers.
Absolutely. 3 competitors leads to a lot of forced innovation. 2 competitors tends towards a much more stale suite of products. This is true across most industries, not just cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
There definitely are camera stores at my city, although being the second largest city of Germany may make it a poor comparison to most other cities.

On one of my visits to one of the oldest such stores I witnessed a lady coming in, wanting to purchase a new Camera. She said the sales person that she would like to go with Canon, as she already had an old rebel and a kit lens in the past. I was pretty surprised when I heard them answer that she might want to consider other brands, as Canon had struggled to compete with newer offerings and her kit lens didn't tie her into the ecosystem. I didn't listen to the rest of the exchange.

The point here is, the endless 'Canon is doomed' talk may not really get through to people who don't visit forums to such a degree as us folks here. But it can still reach them in other ways.

On the other hand, I know two people who wanted to go for a better camera than their smartphone and ended up with Rebels (800D and 200D). They weren't influenced by me, so Canon's definitely still appealing to a lot of people. Obviously, the market share numbers are far better proof of this than anecdotes :LOL:

Guess I don't really have a point here. Just wanted to share an experience regarding the existance of camera stores and people purchasing Canon.

In the twisted reality that is the internet, none of this matters anyway. Canon is doomed ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Looks like the writing is on the wall for Nikon. Hopefully, they can continue as a niche player.

I wonder about Fuji. Does their 4.7% cut give their shareholders a sufficient return on their investment to keep them in the game long term?
I don't pretend to know -- maybe the numbers are great. But in comparison, Nikon looks fantastic (based on this single metric.)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The stores on the North Side and downtown are closed. It's Best Buy or nothing.
I have 3 main pure Camera stores in the Vancouver BC area, we also have London Drugs, Best Buy(kinda) 3 our 4 high end video sales/rental places to support the film industry and a couple of smaller players that have been around forever.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

There are patterns of little yellow circles on most countries' paper money (it even has a nickname, EUrion), and any current-model printer or scanner will shut down when they see those patterns.

Upvote 0