Canon R5 recall

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Whether accurate or not...this guy tends to be pretty sensationalist.. So would take with a healthy dose of skepticism. There are a lot of people here already with the R5 and it's fine.. the recalled shipment he's harping about might be for many reasons... sent in error to this site, found an issue in their supply chain/quality control etc.

If it turns out to be true.. great, they'll improve what seems to be a really decent photography camera.

I've been frustrated by Canon's so called 'cripple hammer' in the past.. but it was for things that were weird to me that should've been easy ... like missing intervaluemeters (software) or all the autofocus points clustered near the centre. This is bleeding edge, high performance that people are complaining about. They're pushing the envelope of technology while trying to retain some of the features photographers desire like weather sealing. ... high cpu usage for codecs + IBIS + high speed storage + high capacity/discharge batteries + electronic view finder + other things generates heat. It's weather sealed. Those two things are at odds until there is some design changes to the body to allow it to act like a heat sink... not a small ask.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Whether accurate or not...this guy tends to be pretty sensationalist.. So would take with a healthy dose of skepticism. There are a lot of people here already with the R5 and it's fine.. the recalled shipment he's harping about might be for many reasons... sent in error to this site, found an issue in their supply chain/quality control etc.

If it turns out to be true.. great, they'll improve what seems to be a really decent photography camera.

I've been frustrated by Canon's so called 'cripple hammer' in the past.. but it was for things that were weird to me that should've been easy ... like missing intervaluemeters (software) or all the autofocus points clustered near the centre. This is bleeding edge, high performance that people are complaining about. They're pushing the envelope of technology while trying to retain some of the features photographers desire like weather sealing. ... high cpu usage for codecs + IBIS + high speed storage + high capacity/discharge batteries + electronic view finder + other things generates heat. It's weather sealed. Those two things are at odds until there is some design changes to the body to allow it to act like a heat sink... not a small ask.
I think its a stills camera given the high amount of pixels and the add on video superlatives where to give the finger to sony and its come back to stick them in the eye.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I think its a stills camera given the high amount of pixels and the add on video superlatives where to give the finger to sony and its come back to stick them in the eye.

it is a great stills camera with some additional video capabilities. 8k was pure marketing and not sure why anyone would be surprised with overheating or that it has very clearly advertised limits. Frankly it seems to hit all my check boxes. I want to get one and have the funds.. just can't find one. I dislike pre-ordering. I want to see it first, then buy.

- add - everyone was super skeptical 8k was possible in an MILC before it was leaked here and a few other places.. and kept saying it wouldn't be.. and now people are outraged that it's not limitless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
it is a great stills camera with some additional video capabilities. 8k was pure marketing and not sure why anyone would be surprised with overheating or that it has very clearly advertised limits. Frankly it seems to hit all my check boxes. I want to get one and have the funds.. just can't find one. I dislike pre-ordering. I want to see it first, then buy.
i would wait till the dust settles to see if its a funeral or not, aptly could be a cremation, i am looking at the R6 as it looks like a 6d type which i already have

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Seems the angry photographer has confirmed canon recalling stock in transit hopefully its a firmware update only and not an issue to send in to repair, seems it was not just hype after all and the old addage of not being first or last to buy holds true again
What is your source besides some talking head "reviewer" who is motivated to blow everything out of proportion? So someone on the internet said so, and it agrees with your biases, therefore must be true? Sadly sounds very typical of people in 2020.

Also, even if somehow proven, recalling stock in transit is not direct evidence of a product recall. It can be for shipping errors or a known defect on a limited number of units. If you don't know and have some real evidence to present YOURSELF. stop spreading BS. You are clearly quite biased, calling this 'a funeral' having never held the camera while the few of us who have it love it and are making great things with it already. Perhaps try removing your ego from your 'fact' finding.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
i would wait till the dust settles to see if its a funeral or not, aptly could be a cremation, i am looking at the R6 as it looks like a 6d type which i already have
Yep, doesn't seem to tick the boxes for you, but it does for me and that's ok.

Funny you should mention the 6D mkII was one I thought was silly/cripple hammer with a joke of an autofocus, but many people loved it. For me the central clumping of the autofocus seemed silly given they had clearly better autofocus capabilities in similar cameras.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Yep, doesn't seem to tick the boxes for you, but it does for me and that's ok.

Funny you should mention the 6D mkII was one I thought was silly/cripple hammer with a joke of an autofocus, but many people loved it. For me the central clumping of the autofocus seemed silly given they had clearly better autofocus capabilities in similar cameras.
most of my stuff is newspaper and books so no biffys or sports though idiot 4k is perfect for me,

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
What is your source besides some talking head "reviewer" who is motivated to blow everything out of proportion? So someone on the internet said so, and it agrees with your biases, therefore must be true? Sadly sounds very typical of people in 2020.

Also, even if somehow proven, recalling stock in transit is not direct evidence of a product recall. It can be for shipping errors or a known defect on a limited number of units. If you don't know and have some real evidence to present YOURSELF. stop spreading BS. You are clearly quite biased, calling this 'a funeral' having never held the camera while the few of us who have it love it and are making great things with it already. Perhaps try removing your ego from your 'fact' finding.
you have quite a storm happening in your head, i would be worried too if i had bought it but i always knew never to be first to buy and i never have.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
You should a look @ the Sony A7SIII it has really good 4k and does not have all the drama around it that appears to be worrying based on the 2 topic you have started in the last few days.
the sony rx10 is cleaning up for me now, the r with a 600 does another job, the dslr is never used and the m50 goes on the 600 for that fire ten miles away, a day in the life of too many cameras

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
- add - everyone was super skeptical 8k was possible in an MILC before it was leaked here and a few other places.. and kept saying it wouldn't be.. and now people are outraged that it's not limitless.

A lot of the outrage is really due to the fact that it says "Canon" on it instead of "SONY"

Not saying "SONY" on it is one of the best features, IMHO; I've hated their craptastic products since long before I got into photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0