Crowdsourced R5 Shipment Tracker

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
My R5 officially shipped today 8/14. Ships from Canon Logistics in Hayward, CA.

Interesting that its coming from Hayward. I wonder if they're rushing these things right off the boat. It might also explain why Canon is direct shipping now, but B&H isn't expecting another shipment for another week or so.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
They're not? :confused:
Elsewhere on the forum some people who ordered from B&H reported they got an email around Aug 4th saying B&H expects the next batch in 3-4 weeks. My current hypothesis is that Canon just got a container ship into the Port of Oakland last week and were able to send out a batch of direct-to-customer orders, and hopefully a batch from that container ship is making its way via overland shipping to B&H's warehouses in New York or New Jersey this week. (And hopefully my Virginia-based local retailer). If not, they might be sending another shipping container to an east coast port.
If the latter is true, I happen to be renting a beachhouse in Virginia Beach next week, so with a long enough lens there's a tiny chance I could see the ship carrying my camera sailing into the Port of Norfolk.

Upvote 0
Spoke to a Canon rep today who said that there had only been one shipment so far, and that they are expecting another in the next two weeks or so. Not sure what the info is worth but thought I'd share.

This was my theory all along because, despite the lack of any pre-orders before 10am, the spreadsheet didn’t show ANY shipments from Canon customers until this one this past weekend.

Upvote 0
Found this forum while trying to get general R5 shipping updates. I'm in the UK and ordered my R5 late (1st August). I went through a smaller national retailer and they had sent out the limited stock they received from the first batch but weren't able to fulfil all existing pre-orders. The retailer believes they are expecting second batch end August/early Sept (but are saying they are getting very little info from canon). They thought my order would be in a 'third batch' of deliveries and likely in September. Canon UK rep is saying they have very little information to pass on but as far as they are concerned the cameras aren't being delivered in batches, but being delivered continuously. Prior to this R5 I had been a Sony shooter so had traded all of that in and all my gmaster glass when I ordered the R5 for RF glass. I have received all my RF lenses so frustrating not being able to shoot anything while I wait for the R5 body. Hopefully the wait will be worth it!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Very useful.

I'm also in the UK, and have preordered in a number of places , like you around about early August. No-one shows any sign of having stock, though!

Hey Mark, you're right, no sign of stock or clear updates from any suppliers anywhere, though I did see an 'in stock' status on a rather curious (I've never come across before) online retailer's site -'Gabby's Camera's'. I didn't fancy taking a punt on that site myself.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
My ridiculous saga continues. A few weeks ago when my brick and mortar dealer didn't have enough units to cover me in the first batch assured me that they were only getting bodies and that they wouldn't be getting any kits with the 24-105 lens, they sold me their last 24-105 RF lens they had in inventory separately, which I kept in a drawer awaiting the arrival of an R5 body. Today they called to tell me they don't have any R5 body-only boxes, but they do have some kits with the 24-105 lens. Currently trying to work out a deal to return the lens outside their normal 14 day return period.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
My ridiculous saga continues. A few weeks ago when my brick and mortar dealer didn't have enough units to cover me in the first batch assured me that they were only getting bodies and that they wouldn't be getting any kits with the 24-105 lens, they sold me their last 24-105 RF lens they had in inventory separately, which I kept in a drawer awaiting the arrival of an R5 body. Today they called to tell me they don't have any R5 body-only boxes, but they do have some kits with the 24-105 lens. Currently trying to work out a deal to return the lens outside their normal 14 day return period.

Good luck on that! I've been very lucky with my brick-and-mortar; I hope some of that reaches other people. Unless you do video you will love this camera.

Heck, even if you do actually do video, you might still love this camera once you realize no other stills camera can do the video that it does do.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Good luck on that! I've been very lucky with my brick-and-mortar; I hope some of that reaches other people. Unless you do video you will love this camera.

Heck, even if you do actually do video, you might still love this camera once you realize no other stills camera can do the video that it does do.
I do both, but when I do video I often work with a friend who has a proper cinema camera and cine lenses. When we work together I get to play with his expensive toys as DP or Camera Operator while he directs. The way I see it, my R5 will primarily be a b-roll camera. This is the way.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I do both, but when I do video I often work with a friend who has a proper cinema camera and cine lenses. When we work together I get to play with his expensive toys as DP or Camera Operator while he directs. The way I see it, my R5 will primarily be a b-roll camera. This is the way.

That's all Canon ever claimed it could be, even in that one European press release the complainers like to point to.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
N
Thanks for the info. Very useful.

I'm also in the UK, and have preordered in a number of places , like you around about early August. No-one shows any sign of having stock, though!
No wonder the UK stores are saying they won't be able to fulfil pre-orders if they are having multiple customers doing multiple pre-ordering. It's another toilet roll panic.

• Haha
Upvote 0