R5 vs R6 4K 60 FPS - Is R6 actually higher quality?

Hi guys,
I’m considering getting either R5 or R6 for video and from what I understood R5 can’t do 4K 60fps HQ. It can only go to 30fps.
VS R6 does have “HQ like" 4K 60fps oversampled from 5.1K.
My understanding is that because R5 oversamples from 7.2K in HQ mode, there’s just too much to process for 60fps. And it does 60 and 120 fps line-skipped only.

Do I understand it correctly?

Couldn't find it mentioned in other topics so created this post :)

Last edited:

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
R5 does what the R6 can do, and then some... check out this link... just note w/ the 1.1 firmware, the recovery times got better.

Also, this link may be handy for you as well (may have to copy paste link in address bar (or hit enter) if you get a referral error)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I’m curious what people mostly use 60fps for. Do you produce finished product at that speed? If so why, for what audience? Do you want to have the option of good half-speed slow motion on all your footage?

I can see the point of 120fps if you are wanting to produce both 30fps and 24fps output, since you can use one frame out of four and one out of five respectively. You can also do a couple flavors of slomo.

And obviously if you are just going to convert the 60fps to 30, but you like the look from the faster shutter speed, why can’t you just use a faster shutter when shooting at 30?

Upvote 0
R5 does what the R6 can do, and then some... check out this link... just note w/ the 1.1 firmware, the recovery times got better.

Also, this link may be handy for you as well (may have to copy paste link in address bar (or hit enter) if you get a referral error)

Thank you for sharing! Really helpful pdf comparison.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m curious what people mostly use 60fps for. Do you produce finished product at that speed? If so why, for what audience? Do you want to have the option of good half-speed slow motion on all your footage?

I can see the point of 120fps if you are wanting to produce both 30fps and 24fps output, since you can use one frame out of four and one out of five respectively. You can also do a couple flavors of slomo.

And obviously if you are just going to convert the 60fps to 30, but you like the look from the faster shutter speed, why can’t you just use a faster shutter when shooting at 30?

Steve, for me it's for youtube vlogging. That's a primary use case. I like the look 60fps creates and it would be published this way. I know there is an argument to be made that line skipped 4K vs "HQ" will look the same on youtube.
The other scenario I will be using the camera is for interview recording. R5 would be a better fit, obviously with unlimited 24, 30 fps modes. But I'll likely get it later as a second camera.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Steve, for me it's for youtube vlogging. That's a primary use case. I like the look 60fps creates and it would be published this way. I know there is an argument to be made that line skipped 4K vs "HQ" will look the same on youtube.
The other scenario I will be using the camera is for interview recording. R5 would be a better fit, obviously with unlimited 24, 30 fps modes. But I'll likely get it later as a second camera.
That’s surprising, since I would expect a talking head video to be the least demanding usage, and would expect just using a faster shutter speed would give the same soap opera look. Also, my experience is that you are lucky if YouTube’s mangling doesn‘t degrade whatever quality you had in the first place. Maybe they use different algorithms for faster frame rates or something.

Upvote 0