Canon releases firmware v1.1.1 for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Mar 4, 2020
I updated the firmware for the R5 - great. :)

But ... I can't update the available firmware for my RF lenses because they can't just update the firmware with the R5 & lens connected to the computer. Instead you have to download a file and write it onto a card via a card reader (which they don't supply) and which I've tried to order but it's on backorder at BHPhoto. How dumb! My Olympus EM1 II was so easy to do anything with - just hook it up and that's it - update everything! - and they gave you access to the internal memory cards as an ordinary folder accessible to your computer - great! No software BS in the way! Why can't you just do this, Canon? Geez! :mad:

Every SD cardreader does the trick. Many computers have one build in and in every household there are at least two SD card readers hidden.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Every SD cardreader does the trick. Many computers have one build in and in every household there are at least two SD card readers hidden.
Well, my current Macbook Pro doesn't have one. But ... my old Macbook Pro (which I gave to my wife to use) does have one. I went and used it to do the copy and now I'm upgrading my 1st lens. Now just 2 more to go.

Thanks for the thought! I should have thought of it (but, duh!, ... well that's what "duh" is for! :ROFLMAO: )

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Please explain what you mean. I find it quite hard to believe what you've said, without some serious evidence.

Update: Firmware 1.1.1 SOLVES THE PROBLEM.

It performs outstandingly well in all three shutter modes, and handheld standing unsupported 500mm at slow speeds (1/8) as well as fast (1/500).

First burst I got about 50% sharp at 1/8. About 100% sharp at 1/60 and up. (These are crude quick check numbers, and not scientific.)

Anyone who doubts me can find confirmation from Ken Rockwell, and by reading between the lines on the firmware update description. The IS (I presume IBIS) blurred the image at all shutter speeds with the mechanical shutter. I spent hours shooting to try to solve it, talked to Canon CPS support this morning, and the update simply resolved it. I'm surprised that it wasn't all over the Internet like the flaming camera images for the R5.

"...the IS capabilities may be degraded when performing continuous shooting..."

Here is my best shot of the subject with the old firmware 1.1.0 (seated supported handheld) at 1/500, crop full resolution center of frame and focus. Sorting through images the software doesn't tell me which ones were with IS on and which ones off, so the best may have been with no IS:

2020-09-07 14-36-32 - 0147a.JPG
Taken just now with today's firmware 1.1.1, and typical shot at 1/45 sec (not 1/500 as above) in gloomy rain and not direct sunlight. This is the best of six, but the worst looks about the same, and vastly better than the one before the update.
2020-09-09 14-46-12 - 0252a.JPG
Any questions?

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Please explain what you mean. I find it quite hard to believe what you've said, without some serious evidence.
Yes, I'm intrigued now also. Although, it may be too little, too late for me. I'm tired of waiting for Canon. Waited way too too long for an announcement, finally get one, then can't it anyway when it is released.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

It performs outstandingly well in all three shutter modes, and handheld standing unsupported 500mm at slow speeds (1/8) as well as fast (1/500).

First burst I got about 50% sharp at 1/8. About 100% sharp at 1/60 and up. (These are crude quick check numbers, and not scientific.)

Anyone who doubts me can find confirmation from Ken Rockwell, and by reading between the lines on the firmware update description. The IS (I presume IBIS) blurred the image at all shutter speeds with the mechanical shutter. I spent hours shooting to try to solve it, talked to Canon CPS support this morning, and the update simply resolved it. I'm surprised that it wasn't all over the Internet like the flaming camera images for the R5.

Here is my best shot of the subject with the old firmware 1.1.0 (seated supported handheld) at 1/500, crop full resolution center of frame and focus. Sorting through images the software doesn't tell me which ones were with IS on and which ones off, so the best may have been with no IS:

View attachment 192694
Taken just now with today's firmware 1.1.1, and typical shot at 1/45 sec (not 1/500 as above) in gloomy rain and not direct sunlight. This is the best of six, but the worst looks about the same, and vastly better than the one before the update.
View attachment 192695
Any questions?
Thanks for explaining. I guess they did have a major problem, which hit you, and now they've solved. So great! And thanks for the pictures.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020

View attachment 192694
View attachment 192695
Any questions?

I had some issues with IS mode 2 on the 100-500 (mechanical shutter) and the R5 1.1.0 this past weekend, but nothing that bad. I was getting blurring even at 1/2000, with a fairly-slow, smooth pan. Tried a bunch of things including turning the lens IS off, which helped, but I still couldn't determine what exactly was going wrong. Actually ended up with more tack-sharp IS-on shots at a slower shutter speed (1/1250) than at 1/2000. Hoping this firmware solves it, as it was driving me crazy.

Upvote 0
Meanwhile, ask for news on the R6 availability and firmware and ... crickets. I pre-ordered the R6 from B&H on day one. They got some in stock on 8/28/20 but ran out before filling my order. I can't get an answer on when I'll get mine. It's a disgrace on both Canon's part and B&H, the latter having actually emailed me that my order was being processed. I better have the most updated firmware on the thing when I finally get it.

Upvote 0
Meanwhile, ask for news on the R6 availability and firmware and ... crickets. I pre-ordered the R6 from B&H on day one. They got some in stock on 8/28/20 but ran out before filling my order. I can't get an answer on when I'll get mine. It's a disgrace on both Canon's part and B&H, the latter having actually emailed me that my order was being processed. I better have the most updated firmware on the thing when I finally get it.

That is also my concern....finally saved enough money ....and I’m committed to upgrade from 6D...but no R6 availability.
What is the better strategy? Order and wait, or wait until better availability and hopefully a deal on Black Friday?

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

Any questions?

yes... why are you so obsessed with that piece of wood? ;-)

Upvote 0
That is also my concern....finally saved enough money ....and I’m committed to upgrade from 6D...but no R6 availability.
What is the better strategy? Order and wait, or wait until better availability and hopefully a deal on Black Friday?
Looking around for R5's today (Still waiting on my pre order from 6/30 at my local b/m shop) I did see a few places in the US that had the R6 kit in stock. It's only a $300 bump and you could probably sell the lens. My R6, that I ordered together with my R5, showed up on launch day as a kit but my dealer just kept the lens and credited me the difference. I really want the R5 but I will say that the R6 is a fantastic camera and a beast at low light.

Upvote 0
Same. Or an R6 with about 30MP. I crop too much for 20MP really..
20MP is enough when you nail your composition. When you need to crop often and a lot, 20MP are not too much. But you can train your skill or you pay for safety and get the R5.
Or you get a Lens with more focallength for the R6 like i do.

Upvote 0

tmplace

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I updated the firmware for the R5 - great. :)

But ... I can't update the available firmware for my RF lenses because they can't just update the firmware with the R5 & lens connected to the computer. Instead you have to download a file and write it onto a card via a card reader (which they don't supply) and which I've tried to order but it's on backorder at BHPhoto. How dumb! My Olympus EM1 II was so easy to do anything with - just hook it up and that's it - update everything! - and they gave you access to the internal memory cards as an ordinary folder accessible to your computer - great! No software BS in the way! Why can't you just do this, Canon? Geez! :mad:

*UPDATE* I was reminded to look around the house for a card writer, and remembered my old (yes, old!) Mac had one. Used it and got my lens firmware updated - yay! (I still wish you could just hook up a cable, but this worked)

You can just use a regular sd card to do the firmware update

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0