Adorama puts an expected arrival date on the Canon EOS R5 body

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The Canon store says "inventory fulfilled" on my Aug 2 order. I went on chat and asked if that meant they were shipping soon and the answer was that the order was being processed so I think that means yes. It is a big world out there and it seems demand was high just about everywhere, so everybody will get a dribble, but at least there does seem to be product flow which is the important thing (and it hasn't been obvious up to now). Important to remember that this is a 5 series, not a "made in a Taiwan megafactory" model.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
While I have not followed Canon' new product release for too long, this is the first time I have seen a Canon camera and lenses were short in supply. This means either there are too many pre orders or the supply is in short possibly due to covid-19. I am finally happy to see more stock coming in and pre-orders getting delivered. As for me I will wait for the price to drop around ~$3k mark. I am of the opinion R5 is way overpriced for what it is when comparing the competition.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I contacted B&H yesterday to see if the email I got saying "estimated ship date of September 21st" was still valid, or if it had been delayed. They said they could not comment either way. I was wondering why they sent an email in the first place if they couldn't follow it up. So, next week, I'll be doing what I've been doing, checking the website and hope to see it no longer backordered.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
I contacted B&H yesterday to see if the email I got saying "estimated ship date of September 21st" was still valid, or if it had been delayed. They said they could not comment either way. I was wondering why they sent an email in the first place if they couldn't follow it up. So, next week, I'll be doing what I've been doing, checking the website and hope to see it no longer backordered.

Yeah I bet B&H doesn't ship ours either. Those emails are just to string along preorders and prevent cancellation. No other reason why they waited for the Sept. 16 ship date to tell us their shipment never arrived the week before. I'm just trying to pretend I never ordered the damn thing. I'll be relieved rather than excited if it ever ships.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Same - I never got the email saying it would be October. Hoping it isn't just an oversight - but I'm not holding my breath.

Me either.. Conversations recently with corporate led me to believe that if you didn’t get “the mail” you’re good for September...

Chickens refuse to be counted.

I was dumb enough to pre-order the 100-500L too, so I can’t complain about compounded stupidity. It’ll be here when it gets here.

Can’t go outside because of the smoke right now anyway.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
While I have not followed Canon' new product release for too long, this is the first time I have seen a Canon camera and lenses were short in supply. This means either there are too many pre orders or the supply is in short possibly due to covid-19. I am finally happy to see more stock coming in and pre-orders getting delivered. As for me I will wait for the price to drop around ~$3k mark. I am of the opinion R5 is way overpriced for what it is when comparing the competition.

Seeing as how in the US it is basically the same price as the 5D4 was at launch I’m of the opinion it’s a bargain.

$3499 in 2016 = $3790 today. I paid less for my R5 than I did my 5D4.

What competition are you comparing the R5 to? Curious what you consider to be in the same class.

There have been launch SNAFUs greater than or equal to this in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Yeah I bet B&H doesn't ship ours either. Those emails are just to string along preorders and prevent cancellation. No other reason why they waited for the Sept. 16 ship date to tell us their shipment never arrived the week before. I'm just trying to pretend I never ordered the damn thing. I'll be relieved rather than excited if it ever ships.

Despite the delay my excitement level is the highest it has ever been over a camera purchase... The only event that came close was when I bought my 5D4 to go with my 7D2. It was my first FF and I was really wound up about it.

This is driving me bananas.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The Canon store says "inventory fulfilled" on my Aug 2 order. I went on chat and asked if that meant they were shipping soon and the answer was that the order was being processed so I think that means yes. It is a big world out there and it seems demand was high just about everywhere, so everybody will get a dribble, but at least there does seem to be product flow which is the important thing (and it hasn't been obvious up to now). Important to remember that this is a 5 series, not a "made in a Taiwan megafactory" model.
Update. I now have a tracking number (but not in Fed Ex's hands yet) so I should have it next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0