Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70, to be announced this week.

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The simultaneous use of both lens and sensor IS can give video stabilization near the level of a professional gimble. That is massively powerful, even on large projects, because pro-gimbals are large and unwieldy and can't get into tight places.
A tool is a tool. It is only ego and lack of imagination that causes someone to ridicule and reject a new tool.
So long as it can be locked out, I have no problem with it. But honestly, I think IBIS up to this point is better for stills usage than video.
Up until recently AF could not be depended upon for video, so for predictable and professional results manual focus was the best option. At this point AF is good enough for my needs, so I use it. After many shots with weird warpy/jiggly artifacts, I can surmise that IBIS is still in the “not ready for prime time phase”. It maybe perfected for video use one day... but I would be surprised to see such a development this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
So long as it can be locked out, I have no problem with it. But honestly, I think IBIS up to this point is better for stills usage than video.
Up until recently AF could not be depended upon for video, so for predictable and professional results manual focus was the best option. At this point AF is good enough for my needs, so I use it. After many shots with weird warpy/jiggly artifacts, I can surmise that IBIS is still in the “not ready for prime time phase”. It maybe perfected for video use one day... but I would be surprised to see such a development this year.

I have much more faith in electronic/gyro stabilization. Give us an oversized 6k sensor that is stabilized to S35 4K with GoPro levels of stability. The new horizon leveling looks awesome. Imagine that with zero loss in quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Yeah, I don't get it too. IBIS, AF etc. – these are all tools. It's better if it's up to you to choose whether to use them or not, than manufacturer to leave them out.
Sure, but ONLY if it allows you to disable it. Not all cameras do.

RF Glass paired with IBIS, AF and Full Frame are the main appeal of RF-mount at the moment, wish there was a camera that had all three and could film video reliably.

P.S.: looks like this camera has an EVF hump, but I doubt there will be an EVF inside ...

Also as I suggested before those exposed screws around the mount might point to interchangeable mount or integration of upcoming Canon RF adapters / speedboosters.

I wonder if the BP-A battery will stick out from the back as with latest C500 & C300 ... hope not!
Those exposed batteries allow you to use any sized battery. If enclosed you’ll be restricted to batteries that can fit inside the camera.

P.P.S.: don't know why people don't like the shape of the camera, I think it looks inspiringly functional. Hope the back won't let us down as well!

My initial thought is “it’s ugly”. But this could just be the angle of the picture. Also, I don’t care so much what it looks like... I care that it performs well and offers the features that I’m looking for.

Upvote 0
with the RF28-70 here's your drone, perfick !!
View attachment 192916
Haha! Well, if I could afford it I'd take 2!

Tbh, the ronin 2 that youd need would be just as heavy so it would make no great odds!

Been hands on with the c300 iii last weekend on a shoot, the image from that sensor is, well, glorious!

That in a small form factor body that delivers the same picture quality would be a killer feature for me. Better still if it's cheaper

Upvote 0
That's my question too. I'm still working with my c100MKii and could do with a resolution upgrade, but my most beloved feature of the Eos cinema line is strangely the viewfinder and form factor. Shooting handheld, with your eye up to the adjustable angle, large, clear viewfinder just works so well for handheld work and has been the main delight of the c100mkii for me. I'm really hoping that this c70 allows for the use of the bolt on viewfinder unit similar to the c300mkiii. Very exciting!

The viewfinder is a big thing for me too. I shoot a lot outdoors in bright sunlight so a viewfinder is a must. It might be the dealbreaker for me if a bolt on one isn't an option. Would be super unfortunate too because everything else about this camera is exactly what I want. Okay I'm not nuts about mini-XLR's over full sized but can deal with that. I just don't know where an add-on viewfinder would go exactly? When the handle is attached to the shoe mount and you have what appears to be a flip out LCD (can see the hinge on the side in the photo) I just don't see where a viewfinder can be attached? Guess we'll find out soon. I just think any camera in the cinema line should have a viewfinder as an option even if it's an add-on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't have high hopes regarding the price of c70. It has the c300 Mark III sensor inside (DGO). I don't see it coming below 6k body only. So its a very good price for someone who wants to pair it with c300/c500 but not a good price for someone who's starting now and wants to step up from milc. C50 will have much lower price though if you think that it has c200 sensor which is more than 2 years old now and will probably cost between 3500-4000. Rest of the specs to be seen soon...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Lets look at the R6 $2500, it has the same sensor as the 1Dx3 $6400

I'd hope that if the C50/70 ($2500 maybe) have the same sensor as the C200 $5500

Why would I pay for a c200 if i buy this? There has to be a reason and a price point to make this attractive.
RF. That's the reason.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah, I don't get it too. IBIS, AF etc. – these are all tools. It's better if it's up to you to choose whether to use them or not, than manufacturer to leave them out.

RF Glass paired with IBIS, AF and Full Frame are the main appeal of RF-mount at the moment, wish there was a camera that had all three and could film video reliably.

P.S.: looks like this camera has an EVF hump, but I doubt there will be an EVF inside ...

Also as I suggested before those exposed screws around the mount might point to interchangeable mount or integration of upcoming Canon RF adapters / speedboosters.

I wonder if the BP-A battery will stick out from the back as with latest C500 & C300 ... hope not!

P.P.S.: don't know why people don't like the shape of the camera, I think it looks inspiringly functional. Hope the back won't let us down as well!
IBIS isnt perfect. But can cameras turn it off fully? If not then I see why they wouldnt want it in a high end camera....until tech gets better

Upvote 0
The viewfinder is a big thing for me too. I shoot a lot outdoors in bright sunlight so a viewfinder is a must. It might be the dealbreaker for me if a bolt on one isn't an option. Would be super unfortunate too because everything else about this camera is exactly what I want. Okay I'm not nuts about mini-XLR's over full sized but can deal with that. I just don't know where an add-on viewfinder would go exactly? When the handle is attached to the shoe mount and you have what appears to be a flip out LCD (can see the hinge on the side in the photo) I just don't see where a viewfinder can be attached? Guess we'll find out soon. I just think any camera in the cinema line should have a viewfinder as an option even if it's an add-on.
I know what you mean about monitoring options and space for a viewfinder. I have a sneaky suspicion looking at my flip out lcd on the C100mkii that the hinge we can see might be too small and slim for an lcd hinge and could instead be a hinge for the audio dial door maybe?
That would allow space for a bolt on viewfinder but then where would a screen go?! Go on show us the back...please!! These camera teases are killing me...but we love them really:)

Upvote 0