5D Mark IV or not

I have owned just about every Canon digital Pro body but always bought used. In Sept '18 I got tired of carrying the kit through airports and I sold the 1Dx and 1Ds3 and bought two new 5DIV's at about $2K each. The R was just announced but I didn't see any features that blew me away, I have no regrets buying the 5DIV as they've performed well and deliver beautiful images.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I have the 5DMk4 and the 7DMk2 . The 5DMk4 seems to take much more detailed and richer color shots. The 7D has a higher burst rate of frames per second and the flip screen is a good feature. I use the 5D for flying aircraft at airshows with the 150-600mm and use the 7D with a 15-400mm Tamron lens for static planes and as a back up camera. I bet the price for 5DMk4's will drop as R5-R6 start selling so I would hold off a few months

Upvote 0

Jemlnlx

Itchy shutter finger...
CR Pro
With the introduction of the R5, I expect to see more and more used 5DIV bodies on the used market if you are okay with buying used. Right now, I see them (in good condition) going for about $1600 but may drop in the 1400-1500 range over the next few months as the R5 begins shipping.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
With the introduction of the R5, I expect to see more and more used 5DIV bodies on the used market if you are okay with buying used. Right now, I see them (in good condition) going for about $1600 but may drop in the 1400-1500 range over the next few months as the R5 begins shipping.
Yes agree but I'll prefer New or Canon Refub rather than taking used

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
Called canon during the last week discount...they are offering 1999 { ongoing 2499} for 5dmkiv ..it was 2045 through coupons of Canon pricewatch so i decided to hold till October end..may be I will get less than 1999 ...no big loyalty discount on refurb ... 1470 through coupon of pricewatch and 1499 through loyalty... this is just for everyone to know on loyalty discount

Upvote 0

bpc

London Based Photographer
Ah, got you. That’s not going to make enough dent in £2800 for me to afford one, mind you.

I'm tempted to sell my 5DmkIV second hand (UK based) if you are interested. It's currently at CANON Elstree having it's annual service so should be in pretty good nick.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The 5DIV is my primary camera. As others have said, it is a great stills camera. The IQ is great, I actually think 30 MP is near perfect, and I find the files very easy to work with as they need very little adjustments.

The downsides I have with it are buffer size, fps, speed of the AF for fast subjects, and AF point coverage across the entire area. But, all of those are well addressed by your 7DII. So, I can see that being a great combination.

Upvote 0
I'm tempted to sell my 5DmkIV second hand (UK based) if you are interested. It's currently at CANON Elstree having it's annual service so should be in pretty good nick.
Thanks for the offer. I’m trying to go for something new, though, after already buying a replacement 7DII in the last week then taking it back because it was unreliable.

I’m not in a desperate rush though, so will wait and see if the offer prices return.

Upvote 0

bpc

London Based Photographer
Thanks for the offer. I’m trying to go for something new, though, after already buying a replacement 7DII in the last week then taking it back because it was unreliable.

I’m not in a desperate rush though, so will wait and see if the offer prices return.

Yeah, no problem. Offer stands if anyone else is interested. Always found it a fantastic workhorse but I'm moving into Mirrorless now (R5).

I know what you mean about getting something new & off the shelf. If you're not fussed about Grey imports then I can recommend Panamoz as do some good new deals.

Upvote 0
Guys
Thanks for all the interesting feedback, I did purchased a 5D Mark IV when Canon had a summer sale ($1.999.99). Been using it mostly for wildlife and landscapes so far. I still use the 7D Mark II for longer and fast moving wildlife/ outdoor sports shots. I recently returned from a trip to the Black Hills South Dakota and I am in the process of downloading and processing my raw files.. So far I'm very impressed with the quality of the images and dynamic range of the 5D Mark IV vs 7D Mark II. With that said,7D mark II's images are great in good light, but with 5D Mark IV I am not scared of bumping up ISO in lower light situations.
I believe the combination of the 7D mark II and 5D Mark Iv will serve me very well in my many field of photography (aviation, indoor and outdoor sports, wildlife, landscape and some portraits) I am just a hobbyist is at this point. I just thought the price was super for a great camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0