A bit of a refresher on what’s next from Canon

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Will that work? The C70 uses a Super 35 sensor, which is (slightly) larger than the APS-C size that lens was designed for.
it most certainly will work well. The Sigma ART 18-35 f1.8 covers even FF sensor at 35mm end. at the wide end it does vignette quite a bit on a FF sensor but on a Super 35 it should not be an issue.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
My comment was aimed at people who proclaim that they will never use an adapter, or that they are always bad, some even claim that the adapter has glass in it that degrades performance. That's prejudging it as an adapter, without regard to the specific case in question. Of course, some adapters are bad and all adapters should be vetted because of this.

As for buying new EF lenses, sometimes it can make sense particularly if I want to use the lenses on cameras that aren't RF mount (e.g., my EF-M cameras). But that consideration certainly won't apply to everyone. If you're in a position where you own nothing other than RF mount cameras, then the only reason I can see to buy a new EF lens is if you judge it to be nearly as good as the RF one, but significantly cheaper....

Well, I own nothing but an RF mount Canon, and bought a new EF 70-300 non-L since there is no comparable RF lens. And I would certainly consider buying other new EF lenses where there is no RF equivalent. So, price is not the only reason to buy new EF lenses. But, in all honesty, the great advantage to buying EF lenses for your RF mount camera is the vast amount of high quality "L" used lenses that are available for well under $1,000.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well, I own nothing but an RF mount Canon, and bought a new EF 70-300 non-L since there is no comparable RF lens. And I would certainly consider buying other new EF lenses where there is no RF equivalent. So, price is not the only reason to buy new EF lenses. But, in all honesty, the great advantage to buying EF lenses for your RF mount camera is the vast amount of high quality "L" used lenses that are available for well under $1,000.

How did I forget about the fact that the R version often doesn't exist yet? SMH. I was evidently assuming it DID, and then proceeding from there, but I should have said so. Good catch.

And of course you amplified my point at the end.

Upvote 0
I am verrrrrry interested in this:
User interchangeable RF mount for Cinema EOS cameras

Any more information on this? Is that saying you could put an RF-Mount on something like the C300 III or C500 II - it definitely seems like you could, and that would be HUGE, because then you could use the speedbooster on those cameras and, especially for the C300 III, get a full-frame look or use the new, amazing RF glass.

Upvote 0