Canon EOS M50 Mark II Specifications [CR2]

I think you're right here all easy to do stuff no major changes that will come with the new flagship M machine whatever that ends up. The only omission which i think needs to be addressed now we are in the 20's ssd storage ? Surely they can hack a usb-c port in thunderbolt 3 would be awesome but give us the ability to store direct to a portable ssd . they are nearly same price as a good sd and 10 times better. Makes the unit better for weather proofing too as don't need to open in field.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The question I’d ask all the Canon fans here is ‘why stick with Canon when other makers produce products that might better meet your needs’?

Canon loves your money and they love your loyalty. Are they reciprocating your commitment?
And the answer to that is pretty simple. Don't.

We are all looking for different things in our cameras. It is fine if you are looking for something different than 'Canon fans'.

Obviously the different Camera brands have to operate in different niches to some degree, so that they can differentiate on more than price. Canon's APS-C mirrorless is aggressively about small and light system. I see it more as an argument against MFT than Fuji. And clearly, that is a type of camera appealing only to a certain part of the Market.

As for higher end APS-C, Canon seems to intend to replace it by lowering the cost of FF bodies and lenses to the point that they no longer have to offer low end APS-C versions. How well that works out remains to be seen, as they didn't have enough time to release those RF lenses yet.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Will this have the same full sensor AF points like the RP, R6 etc. or will it be restricted to a much smaller number.
The M6 II already offers over 5000 manually selectable points across virtually the whole screen. With this M50 II being labeled DPAF II and getting a new processor, I bet AF performance will be outstanding, just as on the R6 and R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Please use the LP-E17 battery. Come on Canon.
While maybe helpful depending on the cameras you use for the sake of compatibility:
I never ran into problems with my M50 - one spare battery for one day (of mild photog/video)
is absolutely sufficient to keep blood pressure/stress down and seldomly used.
In contrast to the EOS RP I only feel relatively calm with TWO spare batteries.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Thirty years ago there were PC computers with one/two FDDs and an (optional) HDD. An M/RF series camera with a single card slot and an (optional) M.2 drive wouldn't be necessarily a bad idea, I think...

Call it "Black box" edition and voila!
It is just a tradeoff between cost and value. The target market may in theory benefit from additional backup. But in practical terms, that is a rare issue and if they loose images (which they still can avoid through WiFi phone backup), it is unlikely to be pictures from a professional setting.

It's not like the typical M series user is likely to have redundant storage hardware for their other electronic devices. Unless it is cloud storage, of course. Which I would assume to also be an option for the M50 II.

Upvote 0
M6 is over $1000, this will be even more with these specs. And we still have $100 plastic, dark standard zoom only.
that price wouldn't make sense for an M50 Mark II - we're talking a $650-$750 USD body.

Which is why part of me is wondering about the specifications. Canon is usually pretty good at keeping the prices "around the same" on a Mark version, and this is a low cost volume seller so they aren't going to jack it up to $999 or even to the M6 Mark II levels.

The M50 sold at mass quantities making it one of Canon's best selling cameras around the world because it was "pretty good", "pretty small" "pretty light" and also "pretty cheap". They aren't going to screw with that formula that much. Canon's marketshare would have cratered if it wasn't for the M50. Canon knows this.

But the camera seems to have more than what the M50 price point seems to demand, and potentially for 4K60 not pretty small or light either.

Oh well, if it comes out at the specifications at a M50 price point, then it's a complete bargain and i'll suffer with the lack of controls and probably "downgrade" to one to get an EVF.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
that price wouldn't make sense for an M50 Mark II - we're talking a $650-$750 USD body.

Which is why part of me is wondering about the specifications. Canon is usually pretty good at keeping the prices "around the same" on a Mark version, and this is a low cost volume seller so they aren't going to jack it up to $999 or even to the M6 Mark II levels.

The M50 sold at mass quantities making it one of Canon's best selling cameras around the world because it was "pretty good", "pretty small" "pretty light" and also "pretty cheap". They aren't going to screw with that formula that much. Canon's marketshare would have cratered if it wasn't for the M50. Canon knows this.

But the camera seems to have more than what the M50 price point seems to demand, and potentially for 4K60 not pretty small or light either.

Oh well, if it comes out at the specifications at a M50 price point, then it's a complete bargain and i'll suffer with the lack of controls and probably "downgrade" to one to get an EVF.

I hope you are right and this will be well under $1000 but with these specs it would be better than the M6 Mark II in every way, except maybe ergonomics.

Upvote 0
I rarely shoot video so that is an unknown to me personally, yet there are lots of shooters out there getting great results from the x-t4 / 3.

The question I’d ask all the Canon fans here is ‘why stick with Canon when other makers produce products that might better meet your needs’?
No doubt The Fuji cameras you mentioned are very nice hybrid cameras. It crossed my mind several times to jump to another brand. But as we know the perfect camera doesn't exist at this price point. All have their pros and cons. Panasonic has no useable AF so that ruins it for me. Sony is doing great with the new A7SIII and no doubt the A7 IV will be a nice hybrid camera. Canon is doing nice as well with the R6 and R5. I just can't afford the transition to a high end FF body with all the glass involved and I think it's overkill for my needs. I don't really need the smaller dof or lower light capabilities. Just the current APS-C stills technology in combo with high quality video and specs like GH5. I am willing to pay for that just so I can reuse my current glass. Basically just a R6 with all the specs but APS-C sensor.

Please Canon :)

Upvote 0
Canon loves your money and they love your loyalty. Are they reciprocating your commitment?
I have yet to see Fuji make an ultra wide zoom for $399 USD for their mirrorless that is also excellent optical quality.

when they do get back to me.

If you are so fond of your Fuji - why are you here?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0