Canon EOS M50 Mark II Specifications [CR2]

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
M50 has been such a good seller for Canon, priced competitively from the start with decent spec at launch.

I like the M series range as a hobby / travel camera, that could even work, for me at least as a B / C backup. I even pre-ordered the M5 and was pleased with it at the time but then soon after when the cheaper M50 came along with the articulating screen and superior AF I wondered if I should have waited.

I hope Canon don’t ditch the M5 line I would like to see them produce an M5 II but this time it needs to be a clearly better camera than the M50 II otherwise what is the point!
The EOS M50 Mark II will not necessarily replace the EOS M5. The EOS M5 has a 1.62m-dot 3.2” touchscreen and a 1040 mAh LP-E17 battery whereas the existing EOS M50 only has a 1.04m-dot 3.0” touchscreen and an 875 mAh LP-E12 battery.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
True. But the principles remain (almost) the same...
Evf minus no Evf. I use view finder on my film cameras cause I have to, on my m6ii l bracket and gorilla pod never. That rear touch screen is just too good. That is something Canon have just got so right. But everyone is different. If a camera has a built in evf i prefer rangefinder type or none at all. 2 or 3 new lenses would be more beneficial over a new body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I don't think so, the logical extension of that would be that every camera model needs every technological innovation regardless of cost or actual practicality in that specific instance.

Specifically regarding IBIS, if most of lenses in the model range have IS doesn't that somewhat negate the need for IBIS?
I think your question is somewhat revealing as far as many forum participants go. They want specs - whether they need them or not. Of course, there are some folks who have non-IS lenses and can really benefit from IBIS. But so many gear-heads just want the most tech they can get, somehow feeling cheated if a camera doesn't have it all - or have as much as a different brand. All the EF-M lenses have IBIS but one - the 22mm. As an R owner, I am looking at potentially upgrading to the R6. The one spec that means absolutely nothing to me is IBIS, as the two RF lenses and the one EF lens I own all have IBIS.

Upvote 0

dsphatlite

CR Pro
Sep 15, 2020
IBIS is a nice to have for me. Didn’t build up years of shooting technique to let technology make me lazy There are times where it would of been handy but have managed to overcome that by carrying a second camera that has stabilisation.

I can see the benefit though to all the video shooters though. Watching all those GoPro 9 videos demonstrating Hypersmooth does make me salivate at the possibilities that great stabilisation can bring.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think your question is somewhat revealing as far as many forum participants go. They want specs - whether they need them or not. Of course, there are some folks who have non-IS lenses and can really benefit from IBIS. But so many gear-heads just want the most tech they can get, somehow feeling cheated if a camera doesn't have it all - or have as much as a different brand. All the EF-M lenses have IBIS but one - the 22mm. As an R owner, I am looking at potentially upgrading to the R6. The one spec that means absolutely nothing to me is IBIS, as the two RF lenses and the one EF lens I own all have IBIS.
I pretty much agree but on a note of accuracy the 32mm f1.4 also doesn’t have IS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don't understand all the excuses in the IBIS department. I will repeat it for you - no IBIS, no buy, pass, period. I will never ever buy another camera without one. It HAS TO become a commodity, as with the smartphones. Are you going to negletct IBIS on R5 / R6, just because your lens might have IS?

Upvote 0

dsphatlite

CR Pro
Sep 15, 2020
I don't understand all the excuses in the IBIS department. I will repeat it for you - no IBIS, no buy, pass, period. I will never ever buy another camera without one. It HAS TO become a commodity, as with the smartphones. Are you going to negletct IBIS on R5 / R6, just because your lens might have IS?

Nopes, it’s just not a must have for my own use. As many said previously about the EOS M system, I bought into the EOS M system because of the price and size of the camera. IS or IBIS wasn’t in my list of must have. If it has it great, but I am not waiting for it appear before I make the plunge. Would of missed a fair few photos because I was too lazy to carry my DSLR. The EOS M system for me is the right price and size for what I want in a camera.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The EOS M50 Mark II will not necessarily replace the EOS M5. The EOS M5 has a 1.62m-dot 3.2” touchscreen and a 1040 mAh LP-E17 battery whereas the existing EOS M50 only has a 1.04m-dot 3.0” touchscreen and an 875 mAh LP-E12 battery.

Again with this.

You're focusing, for some fool reason, on the most insignificant differences between the two models.

Upvote 0
It's all very nice, but I want that M5 Mark II. I bought my M50 refurb with two lenses to get me started. Now I have a good selection of lenses, and I've adapted other Canon and Pentax lenses. Still some other amazing lenses out there from Sigma and other manufacturers, but I'm waiting on the M5 Mark II. That has always been my plan.

I like my M50, but I'd like it even more if it had a couple of the features found on the M6 Mark II. I could see where the M series was headed when the M6 Mark II came out, and the new full frame R series cameras. I've absolutely no interest in an R series camera with APS-C sensor. I'm really hoping Canon pulls this rabbit out of the hat soon. Money is sitting in the bank waiting.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't think so, the logical extension of that would be that every camera model needs every technological innovation regardless of cost or actual practicality in that specific instance.

Specifically regarding IBIS, if most of lenses in the model range have IS doesn't that somewhat negate the need for IBIS?
That depends upon whether or not one has steady hands and whether one owns the non-IS lenses or not. ;)

As far as logical extension: No, it does not mean that.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I own an M5 and am waiting for an M5 mkll. I am torn on the IBIS issue for this series. On the one hand, the understanding is that size does matter and adding IBIS would have to increase the size of the body and possibly introduce heat issues. I'm too technically challenged to know by how much. It's true that almost all of the EF-M lenses have IS, but those are the "consumer" lenses and not the systems' best, which understandably are the primes.
I have the aforementioned 22 and 32 primes and am entertaining the notion of picking up the Sigma 16 and possibly the 56 if Canon do not release equivalents. Since the primes available for the M series don't have IS (28 macro notwithstanding), it would be nice to have it in camera. To summarize, I don't know what I want...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Oops, you're right... but it the end it matters not. I do not believe there will be a 5D Mark V. Using what you are calling "logic" surrounding an "M" model release doesn't make it anymore plausible. M got nothing to do with any 5D.

I agree, M has nothing to do with the 5D. That's not what I tried to explain. It's how they are related to the R bodies that matters.
- Some say that no 5D Mark V because there's the R5
- So applying the same logic, why making a M50 Mark II when Canon could easily make an APS-C R body?

Honestly, what's really the future of the M series once an APS-C R body is released? I do not think I'm wrong, maybe just early, i.e. Canon focusing on FF R bodies for the time being had no time to develop an APS-C R body, so did this ezpz refresh.

Also, it's interesting to note that Nikon keeps saying that they remain involved in DSLR (officially) and that rumors of a Z8 camera also point to a D850 replacement camera sharing the same sensor. It would be odd, at least to me, to see Nikon releasing a D850 replacement while Canon does nothing. They used to "move together".

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Also, it's interesting to note that Nikon keeps saying that they remain involved in DSLR (officially) and that rumors of a Z8 camera also point to a D850 replacement camera sharing the same sensor. It would be odd, at least to me, to see Nikon releasing a D850 replacement while Canon does nothing. They used to "move together".
The TDP guy has recently reported that a R5 with a two-battery grip allows for 4000+ images and no viewfinder blackout...

PS
As a side note: an IBIS, to be useful in the OVF mode, has to be connected to a mirror box assembly. I suspect it would rather be difficult to compensate the mirror motion inside such a floating cage.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
NO.IBIS.

WTH? These bodies already have issues with shutter shock, it's the main reason I can't rely on my m50 and have been awaiting new model. Elec shutter has its own limitations.

32mp in a cheap no weight body(m50 feels fragile as hell) and no ibis means blurry pics everywhere, exactly what my experience was with this M50. The lens oc can only do so much, and there won't be any grips at all not even the metal plates, as Asian 3rd party companies seems to have given up on making accesories for the M line. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but my fotodiox metal grip made me m1 actually usable).

This is only the second Canon body that I've bought that's been for the most part unusable for me...I've never been able to bring it to one shoot because I couldn't consistently get good pictures with it.

Super dissapointed, eventually I'll just wait for the tests to see if the AF is better than the m62. Goddamnit, I really needed that ibis for what I'll be using it for. Argh

Upvote 0