Operating conditions of SIGMA’s lenses for Canon EF mount with the Canon EOS R5

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the heads up! My 150-600mm C was packed up along with its TC and the Sigma Dock to be sent off tomorrow for sale as the AF was too slow on the R5. I upgraded the firmware and preliminary observations are that it has been radically speeded up. Further tests tomorrow. Whatever the complaints about Sigma, their introduction of the Sigma Dock and their subsequent willingness to provide firmware updates are highly commendable.

Confirmed this morning. The Sigma 150-600mm C on the old firmware version was fine with my 5D series but slow AF with the R5 and hardly worked with the 1.4xTC. Upgrading to the 2 series firmware has fixed the problem. The AF with the 2xTC is quite as acceptable now, but not as fast as the 100-400mm II with the 2xTC. So, Sigma owners, get out your Sigma Dock for the R5. (The upgrade from 1.03 was recommended previously for use with the Sigma MC-11 adapter for Sony, which is why I hadn't bothered). I'd say the IQ in the centre at 840mm with the Sigma is about the same as the Canon at 800mm, but the Canon has edge-to-edge sharpness whereas the Sigma is a little softer at the edges.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

JulesvanIperen

Canon EOS R5
Sep 30, 2020
Anyone put either of the 105 or 135 primes through the ringer with the R5 or R6? If yes, success with H+ shooting?
Not the 105 or 135mm.
But I have used the 35mm and 50mm art to test out the H+ shooting on de R5.

I have kind of a weird observation:
The 50mm 1.4 art allows 12fps continues shooting with H+ in green
the 35mm 1.4 art doesn't allow. the H+ keeps blinking white.

If someone knows why, I would like to know.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have R6.

-Sigma 24 1.4 art
-sigma 135 1.8 art
-sigma content. 150-600
..all work perfectly, even faster than on 5d4.

But beware: sigma 20 1.4 art on R6 does not work. The lens can focus but the shutter does not work. I also tried updating the FW but it didn't help. Does anyone have the same problem?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Confirmed this morning. The Sigma 150-600mm C on the old firmware version was fine with my 5D series but slow AF with the R5 and hardly worked with the 1.4xTC. Upgrading to the 2 series firmware has fixed the problem. The AF with the 2xTC is quite as acceptable now, but not as fast as the 100-400mm II with the 2xTC. So, Sigma owners, get out your Sigma Dock for the R5. (The upgrade from 1.03 was recommended previously for use with the Sigma MC-11 adapter for Sony, which is why I hadn't bothered). I'd say the IQ in the centre at 840mm with the Sigma is about the same as the Canon at 800mm, but the Canon has edge-to-edge sharpness whereas the Sigma is a little softer at the edges.

Are you using it with a Sigma TC? Or does it also work with the Canon?

This sounds like great news. I sold my 100-400mm II earlier this year, now regret it. The Sigma sounds like a good option to the Rf 100-500, especially with the price, the f/stop, and the problem with using it the whole range with a TC.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Are you using it with a Sigma TC? Or does it also work with the Canon?

This sounds like great news. I sold my 100-400mm II earlier this year, now regret it. The Sigma sounds like a good option to the Rf 100-500, especially with the price, the f/stop, and the problem with using it the whole range with a TC.

Thanks!
The Sigma TC. Just checked, it works with the Canon 1.4xTC III. Pity you don't live in the UK as I would let you have my excellent one cheap - I have two 100-400mm II and it's time to slim down.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The Sigma TC. Just checked, it works with the Canon 1.4xTC III. Pity you don't live in the UK as I would let you have my excellent one cheap - I have two 100-400mm II and it's time to slim down.
Thank you, Alan. This does give at least one more alternative to the 100-500mm, sweet as it may be with its light weight and MFD. I have one friend with the Sigma, but I don't know if she has the dock for a fw update. I'll ask!

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
I tried the 18-35 f/1.8, which is a great crop camera video lens I've had since 2014 (with no dock to update the firmware). Everything seemed to work just fine, but I had to manually tell the camera to enter crop mode rather than the camera detecting and switching to crop mode automatically as it did with another Canon brand EF-S lens.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have R6.

-Sigma 24 1.4 art
-sigma 135 1.8 art
-sigma content. 150-600
..all work perfectly, even faster than on 5d4.

But beware: sigma 20 1.4 art on R6 does not work. The lens can focus but the shutter does not work. I also tried updating the FW but it didn't help. Does anyone have the same problem?
I’m interested to know if you get any responses or get the 20 working. It’s one of my favorite lenses, and wouldn’t want to lose it if I ever upgrade to R5

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
When I use my lovely sigma 50 art on the R5 I can not turn on the IBIS.
Someone else got the sams experience?

Also, can someone report if IBIS works with the sigma 85 Art?

If you follow the instuctions in the article you should get IBIS working, people on the DPReview forum have reported success with the 50 art after doing that.

Upvote 0
My R5 is still on order but my R6 arrived and 50mm Art works with IBIS on the R6.
I think the setting that had to be enabled was Release shutter with no lens set to On and then on the red menu under IS turn that on.

The second time I mounted the lens, the IS setting had switched back to Off and I had to re-enable it.

Now the camera seems to remember that, and everytime I mount it, IBIS is on. And it works very well. It feels like a lens with IS.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
When I use my lovely sigma 50 art on the R5 I can not turn on the IBIS.
Someone else got the sams experience?

Also, can someone report if IBIS works with the sigma 85 Art?
From the Sigma article -

• For lenses without an OS (Optical Stabilizer) mechanism, the in-camera image stabilization can not be used when the Full-time MF setting is set to “Full- time MF ON” via SIGMA Optimization Pro. When using in-camera image stabilization, please set the Full-time MF setting to “Full- time MF OFF”.* The default Full- time MF setting is “Full- time MF OFF”.
  • Image stabilization does not work optimally with interchangeable lenses which are not from the Contemporary, Art, or Sports line. Please turn off the camera’s Image stabilization setting, or turn off the OS switch for lenses equipped with an OS (Optical Stabilizer) mechanism when using.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
what are these issues you are referring to? Hint: did you mix the Sigma brand for Samyang by any chance? ;)
Nope. Lens Rentals has mentioned that. Digiloyd has mentioned it. Other photographers have mentioned it. I have some friends who have had bad lenses from them. It’s not a secret. Most people just buy a lens and use it, bad or not. But those who are more involved with the limits of their equipment tend to run some tests to see if the camera or lens has a problem before putting it into service, and these things crop up.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Nope. Lens Rentals has mentioned that. Digiloyd has mentioned it. Other photographers have mentioned it. I have some friends who have had bad lenses from them. It’s not a secret. Most people just buy a lens and use it, bad or not. But those who are more involved with the limits of their equipment tend to run some tests to see if the camera or lens has a problem before putting it into service, and these things crop up.
this is valid for Sigma Art lenses that were manufactured many years ago. And this has not been the case for the last 5 years plus. so..
Lets leave this little issue behind and rollover to the next chapter :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
35/1.4 Art: With the newest firmware, the lens works like a charm except in extreme high ISO operation where there are concentric circles barely visible throughout the frame. Not a big deal IMO.
8-16/4.5-5.6 (Crop): Serious IBIS problems, the R5 amplifies any shake. It seems to do the opposite of what it should do. In crop mode with IBIS disabled it does work fine though.
If you put the camera in crop mode, its getting wrong information about the apparent focal length of the lens and that may cause a IS problem. Canon may have figured this out for their lenses, I don't know. IBIS does need the focal length to be correct.

Upvote 0