Are there two version of the RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM has been rumored for quite some time, I have been told multiple times that Canon would like a line of f/1.2L prime lenses for the RF mount.
Now I have been told that Canon may also be working on a DS (defocus smoothing) version of the RF 35mm f/1.2L USM to be announced sometime in the first half of 2021.
We haven’t seen a patent for such an optical formula yet, but there are a lot of optical formula patents for an RF 35mm f/1.4L USM, including one with a soft-focus setting. It’s quite possible that there are a lot of prototypes of these lenses.
This information comes from an unknown source, so treat it accordingly.

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Where's the consumer glass?
In the pipeline? 85 mm 2.0 is almost here, the 50 mm 1.8 is very close too. We also are almost certain some zooms are coming too. Was it the 18-45? I think so. Same for the 100-400 mm 5.0-7.1. The 24-105 4.0-7.1, 35 mm 1.8, 600 mm 11 and 800 mm 11 are already here. A 70-200 mm 4.0 L is also close, although less consumer maybe.

No need to worry just because there are some high end lenses being in the works as well.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
So the question is: where is the 50mm f/1.2 DS?
Maybe they will create the 35mm versions first to satisfy C70 users? I am no experienced film maker
but I think 35mm is very common for Super35 because it is the standard focal length (or close to it)?!
A DS might be a great tool for film makers due to the softer dreamier backgrounds it provides - and the
10 stop gray filter set in the C70 body will support the use of f/1.2 with great ease!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Where's the consumer glass?
Like Joule said; there is some and I own the RF 35 f/1.8 IS MACRO which is of moderate price
and is a unique combination of well done features.
High aperture, effective IS and Macro make it really versatile (I think I have written it lots of
times) ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Maybe they will create the 35mm versions first to satisfy C70 users? I am no experienced film maker
but I think 35mm is very common for Super35 because it is the standard focal length (or close to it)?!
A DS might be a great tool for film makers due to the softer dreamier backgrounds it provides - and the
10 stop gray filter set in the C70 body will support the use of f/1.2 with great ease!

The 35mm f/1.2 DS will have the light gathering of a f/2.0 lens if the tech hasn't changed from the 85.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
I don't find "Defocus Smoothing" appealing. It' much rather not lose 1.3 stops of light for an effect that I can easily do in post if I wanted.

I think what the RF lineup needs next is
  1. A macro lens with 1:1 or even larger than life size magnification with AF (for that wow factor)
  2. A replacement for the EF135/2L, since it hasn't been updated in a while.
  3. A fast 35mm
  4. Then maybe long fast white lenses for professional sport & wildlife.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0