Firmware: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV v1.3.0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Because they know that if they do it, two weeks after release people will pine away for the mark VI.
I think they are also not to eager to get people complaining about the lack of 12 FPS, eye AF and IBIS in a 5D V. Those are the kind of features that I don't think they could offer on a 5 series DSLR with the mechanical mirror, at best recycled AF sensor and OVF without increasing the pricing far beyond that of the R5. But to the critics, those limitations would of course be due to Canon crippling the DSLR :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I am getting 1,000-1,500 shots per battery (extrapolating a bit here) on my R5. I definitely have a 5DIV with a battery drain issue, but 600-800 shots per battery on my 5DIV is pretty typical, sometimes I go over 1,000. But, the R5 is, so far, showing better battery life.

Interesting. My 5D4 with 2 batteries in grip, I can shoot full 8h day with ~4000 pics without problems. Yes, towards the end the battery levels will be low, but I never ran out.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Interesting. My 5D4 with 2 batteries in grip, I can shoot full 8h day with ~4000 pics without problems. Yes, towards the end the battery levels will be low, but I never ran out.
Before this thread, I had assumed that the battery drain issue was pervasive for all 5DIVs as I have heard about it fairly consistently over the years. But, I am seeing references that it is not all cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Actually, my R5 has better battery life than my 5DIV - my 5DIV has always had a battery drain problem as others here have found with theirs but, as always, there are those who have taken 2,000 shots and still got 90% charge left on theirs. The D850 doesn't have that problem.;)

Mine never had any battery drain.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Before this thread, I had assumed that the battery drain issue was pervasive for all 5DIVs as I have heard about it fairly consistently over the years. But, I am seeing references that it is not all cameras.
Maybe it's the different use of the camera that causes this at least up to a point: GPS mode 1, 2, non GPS at all, wifi, Liveview, etc

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
You laugh but during the whole blowup over video there were people who were saying the (non) problem would be "fixed" in the Mk II and were wondering if it would come out next year.

Yet Canon would decide based upon their research and not on your hypothesis:

Because they know that if they do it, two weeks after release people will pine away for the mark VI.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Maybe it's the different use of the camera that causes this at least up to a point: GPS mode 1, 2, non GPS at all, wifi, Liveview, etc
Maybe....but I never used GPS and would always turn wi-fi off when not in use. As for liveview, absolutely, when I used it a lot, the battery would drain more than if I was shooting using the OVF.

But, still, I could turn my 5DIV off and if I came back and turned it on anything more than a few days later, I would have a very low charge or a dead battery.

For whatever that is worth. I played with it a few years ago, never found a solution. But it really is very workable and overall a great camera.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
GPS has to be disabled or at least be in mode 2. In the latter case it is off when the camera is off but it is on during auto power off. Mode 2 keeps it ON all the time irrespective of the power switch.

I realize that you most probably know all these but I cannot think of anything else. My 5DIV battery does not get depleted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, my R5 has better battery life than my 5DIV - my 5DIV has always had a battery drain problem as others here have found with theirs but, as always, there are those who have taken 2,000 shots and still got 90% charge left on theirs. The D850 doesn't have that problem.;)
Same experience for me. I would get roughly 1000-1500 shots on a single battery with the 5d Mark Iv... on a recent shoot with the R5 I took 1300 photos over a 4 hour period and the battery was showing half full.

Upvote 0
Agreed! It is almost impossible to take good photos and share them with either brand. Shame. Their cameras are useless! :rolleyes:
Ok, boomer.

What I meant was if Canon or Nikon wants to attract new camera owners like those born 1990-onwards then they need to be able to be able to effortlesly share photos from large image sensor cameras straight to iPhone or Android without needing to install additional apps.

And they should have done this as late as in year 2012.

The sharp market size decline of the dedicated still camera market is attributed primarily to the rise of iPhones and Android smartphones.

Now with COVID-19 very few people are having events to be covered by any sort of working photographer.

The 5D4 came out in 2016 thus that feature should have been baked in on the first shipments back then and not 4 years later.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ok, boomer.

What I meant was if Canon or Nikon wants to attract new camera owners like those born 1990-onwards then they need to be able to be able to effortlesly share photos from large image sensor cameras straight to iPhone or Android without needing to install additional apps.

And they should have done this as late as in year 2012.

The sharp market size decline of the dedicated still camera market is attributed primarily to the rise of iPhones and Android smartphones.

Now with COVID-19 very few people are having events to be covered by any sort of working photographer.

The 5D4 came out in 2016 thus that feature should have been baked in on the first shipments back then and not 4 years later.
Should voice-calls, text, and games be added too? You might be onto something. Maybe Adobe, seriously, already has a version of LR ready to use on Sony cameras? That would be really amazing!

As for saving the big-camera (meaning cameras that take two hands to hold) industry, I'm not sure that just better sharing would be able to solve the problems of portability and Swiss Army knife usefulness that phones offer. Can you imagine all the girls out clubbing, taking selfies with their besties using a 5DIV? I can't. My R6 doesn't fit in a purse or pocket. It isn't with me 24/7. It doesn't let me do Instagram (but maybe it should)...Banking? Nope. But, hey, maybe if we could just share some jpegs taken with a $3000+ body with a large lens, that would crack the generational code!

On the other hand, a few extra sales might have been generated with an Instagram button. Maybe. 20-20 hindsight.

And, btw, I've found that those who start an argument pointing out age are just reaching that age when they are starting to worry about age. Paunch. A few gray hairs. A few less hairs. Not quite the energy you had just a few years ago. It's ok. Just get good rest, eat properly, exercise sensibly, and don't get lost in nostalgia.

Thanks for your compelling insights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Regarding D850's superb battery life :)
IMG_4302_1.JPG

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Should voice calls, text, and games be added too? You might be onto something. Maybe Adobe, seriously, already has a version of LR ready to use on Sony cameras? That would be really amazing!

Yep. I want to burn my battery up playing sudoku in my viewfinder!!!

If Canon doesn't put that in the R5 mk II they are doomed!!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0