Dummy battery charger for R5

Mar 25, 2011
My R works with my dummy adapter, I haven't tried my R5. I guess I'll give it a try. I can also use a Case Relay and connect it to a USB power supply, it does not need to be a PD type.

Which power adapter system did you buy? The R5 works with the same DC coupler used for all Canon DSLRs that use the LP-E6 battery, so unless you bought a knock off, it should work. Check out the list of accessories.

Mirrorless | EOS R5 | Canon USA

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Page 846 of the advanced user manual says the R5 can be powered with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1
It also says to start with a fully charged battery. I assume that's because it runs the battery down slowly and then shuts down while it charges. It does not give any indication of how long you can run it on USB. I've not tried to determine that.

I might try and see but I'd have to change the settings to keep the camera on. My battery is dead right now and my spare is out in the studio. The camera will not operate from USB with a dead battery, I just checked.

After thinking about this, I realized that the camera starts charging when USB is connected as long as the battery is about 75% charged. A full charge keeps the camera from going into the charge mode when powered from USB. I think I'll try and see tomorrow, I'll leave it on all day if possible and see how much the battery discharges if any.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
It also says to start with a fully charged battery. I assume that's because it runs the battery down slowly and then shuts down while it charges. It does not give any indication of how long you can run it on USB. I've not tried to determine that.

I might try and see but I'd have to change the settings to keep the camera on. My battery is dead right now and my spare is out in the studio. The camera will not operate from USB with a dead battery, I just checked.

After thinking about this, I realized that the camera starts charging when USB is connected as long as the battery is about 75% charged. A full charge keeps the camera from going into the charge mode when powered from USB. I think I'll try and see tomorrow, I'll leave it on all day if possible and see how much the battery discharges if any.

I've reread the instructions, and indeed the cautions say the camera cannot be powered unless a battery pack is in it, and when batteries are depleted, the adapter charges them and power is not supplied to the camera. It is not stated explicitly, but it sounds like the PD-E1 merely charges the battery when [auto] power is off. Somehow, this is an improvement (item 19) over the EOS .

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've charged my R5 to 100 % battery. I've disabled auto shutoff so I'll see how long it runs off the USB. I'll try leaving it on all day. Battery level is 100% as of now.
Well, its 13 hours later and my battery reads 99% with the camera just sitting here all day. I have wi-fi and Bluetooth on but was out of the house so I wasn't using the camera. It appears that it does not use battery or very little while powered from USB.

Upvote 0