Patent: Canon shows off a new approach to the modern shutter button

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Has the mechanical shutter button been a frequent repair problem for Canon?

Is the mechanical shutter button a difficult place to weather/dust proof?

I'm sure we will get some interesting brainstorming in this thread. Maybe the touch-sensitive shutter pad could involve many functions, freeing our thumbs to...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
There is only one part of the system that doesn't improve with different iterations of the technology - and that's the photographer. However fast your focus is, however good your object detection, you're relying on meat computing at the moment for the brain to decide "this is the right shot", and then send the nerve signals to your finger to press the button. By this time the opportunity may have gone.

As AI gets better at understanding composition it will likely be the job of the photographer to frame the image and set the creative direction for the shot, but it'll be the camera itself that decides when to take the photo.

Maybe in the future a shutter button isn't needed at all? :)

Is this real photography? Who cares, as long as it gives you the best shots :)

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
"Before you freak out.."

Too late!

I have a lot of questions on implementation, but then again, Canon patents a lot of stuff that never surface so maybe this falls into the "never to see the light of day" category. I don't think it's a bad thing for Canon to try weird things - sometimes they stick and become really useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
There is only one part of the system that doesn't improve with different iterations of the technology - and that's the photographer. However fast your focus is, however good your object detection, you're relying on meat computing at the moment for the brain to decide "this is the right shot", and then send the nerve signals to your finger to press the button. By this time the opportunity may have gone.

As AI gets better at understanding composition it will likely be the job of the photographer to frame the image and set the creative direction for the shot, but it'll be the camera itself that decides when to take the photo.

Maybe in the future a shutter button isn't needed at all? :)

Is this real photography? Who cares, as long as it gives you the best shots :)

But better AF and other features might help to capture something you could not before.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I'm game for trying things out and often defended tech changes that a lot of photographers were resistant to (very long list)... but not sure I'm keen on the idea.. some things are more tactile and I've found touchpads on laptops irritating, I've tried the steam controller (games) and its also a trackpad and again not a good experience.. and seen the reaction to the R's touchbar. I'm ok with it on phones and on the live view, because it gives additional feedback/info, but a strictly touch device generally hasn't been my cup of tea.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0