Patent: Canon shows off a new approach to the modern shutter button

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I couldn’t get my head around the touch pad on the original ‘R’ I did try but soon stopped using it all together. I was looking forward to the joystick return when I got my R6 knowing how much I used it in my 1D days, but to be honest about this, I don’t really use that anymore either.

Cameras are used for many difference types of photography so some may still prefer a touchpad or joystick.

When shooting people which is what I mostly do, the eye auto focus is so good on the R6 and RF 24 – 70 f/2.8 combo, focus is nailed 99.9% of the time. Very occasionally help is needed to find an eye in tricky conditions but then I simply zoom in to the face the camera then locks on the eye, so I zoom out, recompose and bingo!

Last week I put over 5k impressions through the above combination on a fashion shoot for a small clothing company, many of the shots were taken using the back of the screen to save my aging knees. My only complaint was my thumb that wraps around the back on the camera was starting to rub and become sore towards the end.

That was soon forgotten about when viewing the tac-shape images, I couldn’t have achieved this as easily using older equipment. I’ve used heavier combinations in the past, but I think the way we grip the camera and shooting style when using the back of the screen rather than a viewfinder is different and makes the camera and lens somehow feel heavier.

The RF 35 f1.8 attached to an R body feels so nice in the hand, well balanced and lightweight, but the difference of speed, quietness, and accuracy of focusing using ‘L’ glass means I just keep going back to bigger glass, even though it feels so heavy on a long shoot.

Anyway, back on subject we need to be open minded I guess, more people than ever are taking photos these days, but on their smart phones. If we asked them if they would prefer a mechanical shutter button on their phones, I’m sure most would say “no thanks” A voice activated shutter might work in certain circumstances and would help avoid camera shake.

Anyway, for the moment what we have right now works for me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
A lot of people are just afraid of something new, and different. It could be better, but there’s that old attitude of ; “If it was good enough for my father, then it’s good enough for me.”

thatbattiture holds a lot of advances back.

...or it could be that people know what they want, and to note... 'changing for the sake of change' is not always a good thing. ;)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Are you an idiot? Because I can't use a TouchPad through layers of plastic, and still the "non serious" housings would not work anymore.
If you want to insult somebody, at least put in some effort and understand what you are replying to. I don't see how you address the points made in the comment you replied to at all.

Do you use the term weather protection for something other than the body resisting mild rain?

Are you equating being "non serious" to not using the remote release socket for a custom shutter release?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
God I hope not. My iPhone has never been able to read my fingerprint. With age my fingerprints have become pretty faint (maybe from years of being soaked in fixer?) The last thing I want is a camera that won't fire because it can't read my fingerprint.

Or because your finger is sightly wet. Most phones have problems reading fingerprints if your hand is not fully dry.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Or because your finger is sightly wet. Most phones have problems reading fingerprints if your hand is not fully dry.

Yep, if not bone dry mine either complains I am swiping too fast, or if I swipe slower, it complains I'm not using the whole fingertip.

Preferable, I suppose, to using up one of the four tries before it locks and I have to enter the password.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Never mind the shutter button, what on earth is going on with the mirror in that image??

I'd like to know this as well!! It almost looks like the mirror itself is hinging down and backwards on the mirror bracket. It may be one way Canon was going to go the route of making a combined DSLR + "Mirrorless" camera.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I'd like to know this as well!! It almost looks like the mirror itself is hinging down and backwards on the mirror bracket. It may be one way Canon was going to go the route of making a combined DSLR + "Mirrorless" camera.
They’re going to introduce this in 2021 on the EOS 40D Mark II.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
All physical buttons can be removed.
A touch screen can do everything.
Perhaps, but there are many cases where you don't want to.

Think about action photography, i.e., sports and wildlife. Things are happening quickly, and having a physical button or a click-wheel allows the photographer to find and change settings using only their fingers without having to take their attention off the action in front of them.

A touchscreen interface might allow the same settings to be changed, but it requires the photographer to focus their attention on the screen in order to find the right "button" (since there's no "feel" to it) and then slide and swipe to change settings. Great shots could be missed during that time, and that's food on the table for a working professional.

Also, all touchscreen capabilities go out the window if you're wearing gloves. Even the so-called touchscreen gloves reduce your touch accuracy.

Upvote 0