GPS on 5D4 --need a bit of advice?

Greetings --
With some struggles, I have managed to get GPS working on my 5D4 ... But ... not invariably. My usual workflow is to shoot, then transfer GPS logger to my card (usually SD, in #2 slot) and load onto my computer. I open in Photo Mechanic, do my rapid cull, and then import to LR where I do my fine edit. The issue is this: some of my raw files (I check EXIF) have the GPS coordinates perfectly, and some don't.
The only possible explanation I can make of it is that IF I have turned the camera off, then on later, that it takes the camera's GPS a while to learn where it is. If I shoot a bunch in a single spot, all the GPS data work.
Could this be a function of turning the camera off and then on again? I have the GPS set on 1 minute refresh, though easily cold incrase it (I have lots of batteries.)
Thanks for your advice.

Jan 29, 2011
Make sure you are in Mode 1, that way the camera will continue to try to acquire position data even when turned off. But even in that mode I often find the camera has lost position and it takes time to sort itself out. Canon say 30-60 seconds depending on location but it can often be more than that if you are inside etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Make sure you are in Mode 1, that way the camera will continue to try to acquire position data even when turned off. But even in that mode I often find the camera has lost position and it takes time to sort itself out. Canon say 30-60 seconds depending on location but it can often be more than that if you are inside etc.
Thank you. I will try that. That is what I think is going on, but will test and compare. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0