The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The next Canon firmware update for the Canon EOS R5 is still on schedule to be released sometime in February 2021 I have been told. The same source also suggested that the new firmware is already out there in beta form in loaner cameras, though I have not been able to confirm that. Some people take their NDA’s seriously I guess!
There are also more long-term plans to add features to both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 over the next 12-24 months. Keep flooding Canon with what you’d like to see added to both cameras, they are listening.
The next Canon EOS R5 firmware will include

Canon Cinema RAW light addition
C-Log 3
1080p @ 120fps
Bug fixes

I was not given an update on new firmware for the Canon EOS R6.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Features I hope to see at some point:
  • User customization of Mode menu so both photo & video modes can appear together
  • User customization of top LCD - There's a lot of wasted space that could display more info without having to toggle to the second page. And still, I can't see how many shots are left on my SD card from the top LCD.
  • Get rid of record limit. I'm selling an XC10 which I use as an unmanned C/D cam to C200s for long weddings. An R5 would be an easy purchase for this but the record limit has me looking at mirrorless Panasonic/Sony. Do this and take my money Canon.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
– more customizable buttons. The R6 is worse than my R :(
– on cameras without the mode switch (R and R5), there can be an unlimited number of C modes that I can name and choose from the menu (tripod, portrait, street, macro, my cat1, my cat2...)
– I want to customize the dials on Fv mode. There are four dials so I could assign each of them to A, T, iso and compensation. It would be perfect mode then!
Or at least make it possible to change the parameters with the joystick (up-aperture, down-reset aperture, left-shutter speed, .., middle button reset all, back dial: iso, control ring: exposure compensation)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Wish: when in 'exposure simulation' is on, i wish the 'depth-of-field preview' would be a part of the exposure simulation and maybe depth-of-field preview button ' would work the other way around or would be disabled.

Absolutely. The WYSIWYG mirrorless advantage isn't fully realized with Canon taking more of a DSLR approach where the scene is presented wide open.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0