Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I'm saying when I press the image review button on the camera I have to turn the camera back to horizontal to view the image. The playback of the image should be vertical orientation if the camera is in vertical orientation.
Turn auto-rotate off or set auto-rotate only for the computer. Vertical images will be vertical when the camera is in the vertical position. They will not rotate when the camera is returned to the horizontal position.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Flexible AF point (like Sony system) would be perfect! But they'll never make it :rolleyes:
I have an R6 but the "face + tracking" mode arbitrarily decides where to focus in sports events (ALL priorities off, AF Servo start point fixed) ...it's frustrating.
I have a button mapped for immediately returning back to traditional AF tracking via center point when the eye tracking gets confused.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

osx996

EOS R5
Jan 26, 2021
I have a button mapped for immediately returning back to traditional AF tracking via center point when the eye tracking gets confused.
Me too,
i use single spot point as standard AF Mode and i have 2 button mapped for Eye Tracking and Face + Tracking (ALL priorities off, AF Servo start point fixed) but this last setting doen't work for me in group sports action (ex. football, rugby) on isolate subject works intermittently. (with RF or EF lenses) :censored:

Upvote 0
– more customizable buttons. The R6 is worse than my R :(
– on cameras without the mode switch (R and R5), there can be an unlimited number of C modes that I can name and choose from the menu (tripod, portrait, street, macro, my cat1, my cat2...)
– I want to customize the dials on Fv mode. There are four dials so I could assign each of them to A, T, iso and compensation. It would be perfect mode then!
Or at least make it possible to change the parameters with the joystick (up-aperture, down-reset aperture, left-shutter speed, .., middle button reset all, back dial: iso, control ring: exposure compensation)
+1 for naming the C-menus! I constantly forget where I saved the settings after 2-7 seconds.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Wait you can have unlimited (i assume there is some hard limit) user named C modes in the R5? How the heck did i miss that! Has to one of my biggest wishes since forever :love:
I fear you have misread the post. I am almost certain the R5 does not have more than 3 custom modes for stills. But the poster wishes this was different.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Flexible AF point (like Sony system) would be perfect! But they'll never make it :rolleyes:
I have an R6 but the "face + tracking" mode arbitrarily decides where to focus in sports events (ALL priorities off, AF Servo start point fixed) ...it's frustrating.

really disliked it myself then saw a youtube how to select where to start your face tracking.. in menu AF page 5 select Initial Servo AF pt for :)

you can then drag your focus point (via touch screen or joystick) to where you want the autofocus for face tracking to start... usually I put it in the middle but sometimes when anticipating motion etc I move it away to start or if I'm composing a bit. You can also tell it the mode (single point or cluster etc) Rather handy.

Upvote 0

osx996

EOS R5
Jan 26, 2021
really disliked it myself then saw a youtube how to select where to start your face tracking.. in menu AF page 5 select Initial Servo AF pt for :)

you can then drag your focus point (via touch screen or joystick) to where you want the autofocus for face tracking to start... usually I put it in the middle but sometimes when anticipating motion etc I move it away to start or if I'm composing a bit. You can also tell it the mode (single point or cluster etc) Rather handy.

Yeah, I already do it, but it doesn't work! (both RF or EF lenses)

I wrote this in another thread:
"I have already contacted the local CPS service but they confirmed that AF mode is not recommended for sports photography with many subjects in the scene.
(on Sony, the Flexible AF Point selection works perfectly)"

I hope this feature will be enabled in the future via firmware upgrade

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Yeah, I already do it, but it doesn't work! (both RF or EF lenses)

I wrote this in another thread:
"I have already contacted the local CPS service but they confirmed that AF mode is not recommended for sports photography with many subjects in the scene.
(on Sony, the Flexible AF Point selection works perfectly)"

I hope this feature will be enabled in the future via firmware upgrade

I may not be understanding the specifics of your case.

I use it for many kids at once and it works fine, but I also tune AF to stay locked on more vs change fast.I also ensure I have a very precise autofocus to start the tracking vs a grid. the eye detect locks on fairly fast and stays locked. (AF menu, page 3, item 2 and item 4 tweaked)

there are a lot of options, took a long time to tweak and because of that i created 3 custom modes as starting modes .. 1 for kids during day, 1 for animals during day and one for more generic for landscape type during day. with minor tweaking the can be changed for different lighting levels.

again to each their own, seems like you're aware of options.. not everyone is.. simply because there are so many.

Upvote 0

osx996

EOS R5
Jan 26, 2021
I may not be understanding the specifics of your case.

I use it for many kids at once and it works fine, but I also tune AF to stay locked on more vs change fast.I also ensure I have a very precise autofocus to start the tracking vs a grid. the eye detect locks on fairly fast and stays locked. (AF menu, page 3, item 2 and item 4 tweaked)

there are a lot of options, took a long time to tweak and because of that i created 3 custom modes as starting modes .. 1 for kids during day, 1 for animals during day and one for more generic for landscape type during day. with minor tweaking the can be changed for different lighting levels.

again to each their own, seems like you're aware of options.. not everyone is.. simply because there are so many.

ok, i'll try to tune AF Servo cases but it is not a tracking problem, rather a problem of arbitrary choice of subject on which to focus.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
ok, i'll try to tune AF Servo cases but it is not a tracking problem, rather a problem of arbitrary choice of subject on which to focus.
cool, just trying to help.. but the initial servo autofocus point lets you choose that (making it non-arbirary).. it doesn't start tracking until press the focus button and it locks to where the focus point was set to begin in... sounds like what I wanted and it fixed the issue and almost sounds like what you're asking.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I do not know where I can 'flood' Canon with wishes. Maybe someone gives me a tip? I am CPS Platinum Customer btw.
I too would love to know! i am also a platinum member and run my own youtube channel called IR Photo Tours, I cover many aspects of photography and own a EOS R which I would love to see 120fps in full hd not just the 2.7k that no one uses anymore, please update the EOS R!

Upvote 0
Don't forget about all the EOS R customers, we want 120fps in full 1080HD not the useless 2.7HD, Also full frame 4k not cropped to death. I invested into this system when the R came out over 2 years ago and did plenty of reviews on my youtube channel at IR Photo Tours, whilst everyone was whining about it I was excited about it and bought it, I love this camera and will probably go for the R6 as well at some point but as tech from Canon seems to be so rapid I will sit back and see what the offerings are for this year before I go ahead and invest, it seems a shame that the R does not have the IBIS as this is something I do wish they had done because it seems nearly pointless to invest in the new RF lenses when I already have amazing EF L glass, I really cannot see a difference between the EF and RF image quality.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Don't forget about all the EOS R customers, we want 120fps in full 1080HD not the useless 2.7HD, Also full frame 4k not cropped to death. I invested into this system when the R came out over 2 years ago and did plenty of reviews on my youtube channel at IR Photo Tours, whilst everyone was whining about it I was excited about it and bought it, I love this camera and will probably go for the R6 as well at some point but as tech from Canon seems to be so rapid I will sit back and see what the offerings are for this year before I go ahead and invest, it seems a shame that the R does not have the IBIS as this is something I do wish they had done because it seems nearly pointless to invest in the new RF lenses when I already have amazing EF L glass, I really cannot see a difference between the EF and RF image quality.

While a decent camera think the R was rushed out to show where canon was going and had limitations on how much/fast it could process data.. some things may not be possible.

Upvote 0
I fear you have misread the post. I am almost certain the R5 does not have more than 3 custom modes for stills. But the poster wishes this was different.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as Joules said: My +1 was was for the *wish* R5 had "unlimited" customizable C-menus. Yo! Let's ask for the WSB to focus their attention to Canon adding customisabe C-menus to R5. We'd get a FW update by the end of the day.

• Haha
Upvote 0