Canon may introduce a new menu system in upcoming cameras [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told a couple of times now that Canon is working on a new menu system for upcoming cameras. I don’t know how far along in development Canon is, but I would think the EOS R1 would be a good place to introduce something new.
One of the sources claims that you will be able to select the “Canon Classic” menu system or the new menu system on your camera. This makes a lot of sense, lots of people love familiarity, especially on professional bodies, but new users to the system would probably be inclined to learn the new menu system.
Canon has always had a great menu system, but I think it has started feeling cumbersome on the EOS R5, as the breadth and depth of options continue to grow.
Before you ask, I doubt we would see a firmware update to give cameras like the EOS R5 or EOS R6 the new menu system.
More...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I could think of things that could be improved. Especially "My Menu".
I rarely use My menu option, although for some reason the customizable quick control never made it lower end cameras(x0D) and it was really useful to reduce clutter and have only settings which are frequently changed to be made avl in quick menu.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Why? its not really necessary.
The old one starts to feel pretty "full". Maybe a new innovative sytem could improve that. Time will tell. I must say that I am happy in general, though I see room for improvement in the R5.
Biggest problem are Settings that "block" each other. For example I cant activate e-shutter, while flicker reduction is on. Instead of asking "hey, flicker reduction is on, shall I deactivate it for you, so you can use e-shutter?" it just gives me NO information at all, while this function is disabled. Some options are not even greyed out but simply disapear and I have to figure out what other option (on a page faaar away) is blocking this function...

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Seems like the R1 would be the worst place to implement it. People who use these bodies tend to not like tons of changes.

Related—any time I see the option to stick with an old interface it makes me think the new one isn’t very good.
This. I can’t think of a worse time.

On short notice before the Olympics, with new equipment, with fewer options to put the camera through its paces. It actually feels like the reasoning to not change the Mount in the markiii.

Can you imagine the photography version of the ibis wobble on the R5/R6 when shooting wide in video.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I could think of things that could be improved. Especially "My Menu".
It’s funny how different things suit different people, I love ‘My Menu’ and have all the things I regularly change in there. My AF control went way up when I separated the three variables onto a my menu page rather than work with the clunky modes and changes within those.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
If they plan to add a lot more options on the new models, then a new system might help. Right now, Canon has a much friendlier interface than Nikon or Sony, but things can always be improved. Like others, I've pretty well mastered the existing system, but still need to hunt for some features. I wonder if they are adding a search bar? That might help if its done right. Few simple search engines do it right, a good one accounts for poor spelling, and looks for alternate terms. If you enter jpg, it might also offer a group of items related to image format.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Seems like the R1 would be the worst place to implement it. People who use these bodies tend to not like tons of changes.

Related—any time I see the option to stick with an old interface it makes me think the new one isn’t very good.
To me, this is just one more bit of evidence that the R1 is not aimed at the same professional audience as the 1D series. 1D for the dying breed of working professional sports/journalist photographers. R1 for the growing pool of enthusiasts who can afford and want the most expensive model regardless of whether or not they need it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It’s funny how different things suit different people, I love ‘My Menu’ and have all the things I regularly change in there. My AF control went way up when I separated the three variables onto a my menu page rather than work with the clunky modes and changes within those.
"My Menu" + C1/C2/C3 covers almost everything I want to quickly change without having to know where items are in the regular menu.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
To me, this is just one more bit of evidence that the R1 is not aimed at the same professional audience as the 1D series. 1D for the dying breed of working professional sports/journalist photographers. R1 for the growing pool of enthusiasts who can afford and want the most expensive model regardless of whether or not they need it.
I’d agree. It’s certainly moving that way. Not even sure high end gear is a must for what’s being printed and going on line. The R1 especially if it’s more compact than a 1DXIII will be aimed at that super enthusiast who wants the best camera ever.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Menu updates are an inevitability. The existing one is looking old fashioned. It’s been a great menu system , very consistent between models.
I’d contrast it to Olympus who developed a terrible menu system
There must however in the mean time been more clever ways to organise and customise .
Certainly a hard separation between video and photo would be a start.
Focus options could somehow be smarter (or dumber - what are you shooting today - birds - may I suggest option 2(b) bird in flight mode?)
Canon will anyway want to make the camera feel refreshed and modern in all aspects.
It’s a risk though users get comfortable with what they know.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0