Canon to release a 100mp EOS R system camera next year [CR2]

What would be the use of such a high mp camera?
I can think of a few:

Printing life size portraits of elephants to fine detail.
Life size landscape prints.
Spending quality time at the computer downloading files.
Spending quality time with the family shopping for additional external drives to store the pictures I take but never process.
Learning patience as I process my pictures on my old computer.
But the main reason is so I can say my camera has more mp than yours.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Oh haven't seen this yet! Nice. Gonna have to read up on it today. Haha, love how they state "(4) THUNDERBOLT (USB-C) + (1) USB-A". So basically USB-C and Thunderbolt are the same. I don't understand why there are not more of these out in the market place.
Ouch! Didn't plan on upgrading to Big Sir:
"The OWC Thunderbolt Hub works with any Mac with an available Thunderbolt 3 port running macOS 11.1 Big Sur"
I think you might have mis-interpreted their statement ""(4) THUNDERBOLT (USB-C)...".
It means 4 (faster)TB3 ports, which can also be used for slower USB-C purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
So 100+MP with curved sensor and dedicated lenses for landscapes with super sharp edges. smaller pixel sites mean poorer ISO, but we're on a tripod.
In the studio super product shots with controlled light sources, again with sharpness to the edge. Pure studio bodies can be larger for more processing grunt.
Perhaps the product split is along these lines - curved sensor FF MF challengers, and FF swiss army knife models like the R5/6 to carry anywhere.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Lenses are designed to project a flat image. Of course, it can't be perfectly flat, but they can come close by throwing more elements into the lens.

Put in a curved sensor and all of that extra design becomes a detriment. Are there going to be lenses coming out that don't correct a curved focal surface to a plane, so that this sensor will work properly? If so how long will it take before every lens someone might want comes in a curved version? How much kvetching will there be over how slow they come out?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hmm...I may have learned something.

I knew about TB3 being faster and a different protocol, and that it had the same connector as USBC, but I had never heard that there were TB3 specific cables vs USBC cables....
I'll have to look into this.

Thanks for the info,
C
Yes good quality TB 3/4 cables are super important if you are running TB3/4 devices. All the basic USB-C cables will not deliver a fraction the performance of TB. The TB cables are expensive Nd short, but they do deliver, I run Akitio cables that have now been bought out by OWC/MacSales.

The reason I went with Akitio a few years back was because of their TB3 dock. It has CFast 2.0 and SD card readers along with 10GbE port, two TB3 ports, eSATA etc etc all of which I have and need.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Lenses are designed to project a flat image. Of course, it can't be perfectly flat, but they can come close by throwing more elements into the lens.

Put in a curved sensor and all of that extra design becomes a detriment. Are there going to be lenses coming out that don't correct a curved focal surface to a plane, so that this sensor will work properly? If so how long will it take before every lens someone might want comes in a curved version? How much kvetching will there be over how slow they come out?
Hi Steve - I was wondering id the recent curved lens rumours was joined to this - https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-fast-prime-lenses-for-curved-image-sensors/

Patent: Fast prime lenses for curved image sensors​

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not entirely clear if it's CA at the plane of focus or bokeh CA that's the issue. With that said...

Since I tend to shoot this lens at night or in less contrasty situations (i.e. indoors) I just walked outside to try and recreate this. Power line against blue sky had virtually no CA at the plane of focus. Power line against a bright white cloud (full sun illuminating at an angle to the cloud) had some. But I've seen worse from other lenses in less stressful conditions, and it was easily corrected in PS.

Bokeh fringing is certainly there in all lighting conditions, but this is true for nearly every fast lens. Even the few lenses which correct for it, like the two you mention, still show it to some degree. My Tamron 45mm is better in this respect than the lens it replaced, a pre-ART 50mm f/1.4. But it's certainly not as good as those lenses which specifically try to correct it.

So if it's bokeh fringing which you hate, you would have to move to something like the 35 f/1.4L II. If it's fringing at the plane of focus, I still say something is off with your copy of the lens and it may be worth contacting Tamron to see if it can be corrected.

Investigating further: The Digital Picture came to a similar conclusion with the 45mm and 35mm (though the 35mm was a bit worse). I bring up the 35mm only because it's close in design and OpticalLimits.com found horrible purple fringing in their copy, at the plane of focus, much worse than TDP found in theirs. The samples at the two sites look like they came from different lenses. (OpticalLimits didn't test a 45mm.) So there could be a manufacturing variation in these lenses which leads to this. I have no idea if such a variation could be fixed after the fact.

(I don't mean to write so much in response to the comment you made. It just surprised me because I'm not seeing the same with my copy, and I was curious as to what might be going on.)
Plane of focus, oof areas, everything. If the photo is a little overexposed, it becomes useless. Purple on anything white, lips, cheeks, etc. However, it’s also just a $399 lens. :)

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I think you might have mis-interpreted their statement ""(4) THUNDERBOLT (USB-C)...".
It means 4 (faster)TB3 ports, which can also be used for slower USB-C purposes.
Yes sir. Still stand by my original statement, at this time you cannot expand your thunderbolt 3/usb-c connections on the MacBook Pro. This product doesn't appear to be launching until May. This probably doesn't impact most folks I guess. I've got too many peripheral devices!

Upvote 0
the 32.5MP APS-C sensors scale to 82MP.. and they are just fine. the 5Ds and 5DsR use entirely different sensor technology, and are at least 2 generations old in terms of Canon sensor technology from where we are now.
The comparison was 5DSR to Sony A7S II. They both arrive the market around 2015/2016 and 5DSR was unarguably horrible. (even Nikon at that time is better than Canon) Same game if I want to judge the sensor on this camera I would want to compare with the best FF in the market which is EOS R5 (not even the latest Alpha 1 could match, though they are very very close)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes sir. Still stand by my original statement, at this time you cannot expand your thunderbolt 3/usb-c connections on the MacBook Pro. This product doesn't appear to be launching until May. This probably doesn't impact most folks I guess. I've got too many peripheral devices!
No the first two batches already sold out, the next batch is available in May. It was launched a while ago, I didn’t need the expansion then because I daisychain all the stuff I need through the dock I linked, I also have 4 TB3 ports anyway.

Upvote 0
To be fair, the website says that the first and second production runs have sold out and the third is scheduled in May.... so it has launched and has found a market niche.
"Demand for the world's first Thunderbolt 'port expander' has been incredible! The first and second production runs have sold out. Pre-order today to claim your Hub from the next run scheduled to ship in May + FREE Shipping!"

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
No the first two batches already sold out, the next batch is available in May. It was launched a while ago, I didn’t need the expansion then because I daisychain all the stuff I need through the dock I linked, I also have 4 TB3 ports anyway.
To be fair, the website says that the first and second production runs have sold out and the third is scheduled in May.... so it has launched and has found a market niche.
"Demand for the world's first Thunderbolt 'port expander' has been incredible! The first and second production runs have sold out. Pre-order today to claim your Hub from the next run scheduled to ship in May + FREE Shipping!"
The good news is, now I know something is available so I'm putting in my order! :)
Here's a link to a review on YouTube I though was good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well, as someone who is firmly in the target market and has been waiting for a higher MP camera I'm pretty excited to see how this thing performs. Personally, I was more than happy with the reported 80MP, but I'd be just as happy to look at 100MP.

My biggest concern with such high pixel density is determining the effective aperture where the benefits of such high resolution start to really demand focus stacking (or a tilt shift lens, I guess) to maximize quality for landscape photography. Regardless, it sounds like a really interesting tool, albeit with some additional considerations to put all those MPs to their full use!
Serious question, what are you outputting that requires 80-100mp? I’m seriously interested in peoples use case for this type of camera.

If it’s prints what size and how many are you doing a year, if it’s wildlife for cropping what focal length do you normally use, that kind of thing.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The comparison was 5DSR to Sony A7S II. They both arrive the market around 2015/2016 and 5DSR was unarguably horrible. (even Nikon at that time is better than Canon)

Nikon pretty much set the bar for base ISO DR with the D800, with later Sony bodies either matching it or falling a bit behind. The A7s bodies have all been slightly behind, with the A7s III being the furthest behind. Using DPReview's Exposure Latitude tool as a reference, IQ wise a +4ev push on a 5DsR is about the same as +4.66ev on the A7s III, or +6ev on a D800/810/D850. The R5 competes at +6ev, and the R6 seems a touch worse at +5ev. But I think it's still fair to say the R6 is about 1ev better than a 5DsR. (All at the same view size of course.)

This lines up pretty closely with what one would expect looking at Photons to Photos graphs.

Again, I would predict nothing revolutionary. No one seems able to break 15ev total DR using DxO's standard, or 12ev using PtP's standard. But Canon's 100mp sensor is not going to be worse than an R6 on DR, and probably close or equal to an R5.

Edit: some MF sensors do break 12ev at PtP. I do not believe any 35mm sensors do.

Upvote 0
Serious question, what are you outputting that requires 80-100mp? I’m seriously interested in peoples use case for this type of camera.

If it’s prints what size and how many are you doing a year, if it’s wildlife for cropping what focal length do you normally use, that kind of thing.
I'm primarily a hobby landscape photographer and the vast majority of my use is for personal consumption, with limited sales of calendars, prints, and the odd paid job. My desire for more resolution is linked to me really liking (and wanting to produce) high detail metal prints to be viewed from close.

I often perform a bit of cropping for the sake of composition, but not usually anything crazy. It's not uncommon for me to sacrifice maybe 30% of the resolution depending on the situation. I'm currently shooting with a 5D IV and finding typical crops are not providing sufficient resolution for 20x30 inch metal prints (at the distance they're viewed from) which is a pretty common size for me. An R5 is likely plenty for that size, but I've got a few panoramas at 6 feet long which I absolutely love. Those are often north of 90mp.

My intent with a camera like this is to produce high detailed prints at maybe ~48 inches long by 38 wide, again, to be viewed from close (i.e. in a hallway). 100 is definitely more than I need and even 80 is likely high, but I could personally justify more than 45. I don't need high burst rates or any video really, so the biggest gap I currently have in my equipment is resolution (and autofocus for those odd paid jobs to be fair).

With all that said, my biggest concern with that much resolution is diffraction limited aperture. I'd anticipate being diffraction limited at most apertures I'd be shooting at, so I'm not sure that I'd get the full resolution I'd be after all the time anyway. I'm in no rush to buy so I'm content to wait until it's available and judge for myself or take it out as a rental and see if it suits my needs as intended.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Yes good quality TB 3/4 cables are super important if you are running TB3/4 devices. All the basic USB-C cables will not deliver a fraction the performance of TB. The TB cables are expensive Nd short, but they do deliver, I run Akitio cables that have now been bought out by OWC/MacSales.

The reason I went with Akitio a few years back was because of their TB3 dock. It has CFast 2.0 and SD card readers along with 10GbE port, two TB3 ports, eSATA etc etc all of which I have and need.

Thank you Private! :love:

Upvote 0
Nikon pretty much set the bar for base ISO DR with the D800, with later Sony bodies either matching it or falling a bit behind. The A7s bodies have all been slightly behind, with the A7s III being the furthest behind. Using DPReview's Exposure Latitude tool as a reference, IQ wise a +4ev push on a 5DsR is about the same as +4.66ev on the A7s III, or +6ev on a D800/810/D850. The R5 competes at +6ev, and the R6 seems a touch worse at +5ev. But I think it's still fair to say the R6 is about 1ev better than a 5DsR. (All at the same view size of course.)

This lines up pretty closely with what one would expect looking at Photons to Photos graphs.

Again, I would predict nothing revolutionary. No one seems able to break 15ev total DR using DxO's standard, or 12ev using PtP's standard. But Canon's 100mp sensor is not going to be worse than an R6 on DR, and probably close or equal to an R5.

Edit: some MF sensors do break 12ev at PtP. I do not believe any 35mm sensors do.
The smaller MF (44x33) is around 1EV better (i.e. GFX100). If you go up to Phase One IQ4 (53x40) is another 1EV higher. But they are difference beasts. 15EV is just a limit only for FF.

Upvote 0